2006 Euro Gaming Retreat

• 57 Replies

Offline jack208

• BGC Webstore
  • BGG ID: jack208
  • Gaming Grp: OTK Cheras
2006 Euro Gaming Retreat
« on: August 07, 2006, 08:32:53 am »

My gaming buddy Edwin is organizing a Gaming Retreat in September! Everyone is invited.. of course, you must be willing to game-all-day-long...

2006 Euro Game Retreat
We are planning a euro game retreat (yes, where we all go to find ourselves) sometime in September (before Essen), based on the following preliminary details:

• When? Saturday 1200 noon - Sunday 600 pm.

• Where? Preliminary target - Avillion Resort, 3rd mile, Port Dickson. 1 hour’s drive from PJ/KL.

• Budget? Targeting Rm200 net, inclusive of twin shared room for 1 night, buffet breakfast, free flow of water and light snacks during gaming. However, it excludes lunch/dinner, which will be at the PD Yatch Club at own expense (F&B is very reasonable!).

• Numbers? We are targeting 20 participants.

Gaming schedule:

Saturday
-----------
1100 - 1130: Arrival & registration.
1130 - 1200:  Briefing & table allocation.
1200 - 200: Game #1.
200 - 400: Game #2.
400 - 600: Game #3.
600 - 800: Dinner.
800 - 1000: Game #4.
1000 - 1100: Demo #1.

Sunday
--------
800 - 900: Breakfast.
900 - 1000: Demo #2.
1000 - 1200: Game #5.
1200 - 200: Lunch.
200 - 400: Game #6.
400 - 600: Game #7.
600 - 630: Results & wrap-up.

All games in 2 hour slots, 4 players to each table. Although tables do not play the same game at the same time, players will get to play all the games. Prize for the overall winner of course ;0 List of games fitting 2-hour slot will be proposed by participants, and the final 7 games will be determined by popular vote.

Examples of games that will fit 4-player/2-hour slot include Tikal, Torres, Reef Encounter, Il Principe, Siena, Game of Thrones, Samurai, etc.

Participants are required to read the rules of all 7 games before the retreat!!! If you are interested, quickly RSVP at KL Boardgames Meetup coz we are accepting the 1st twenty pax only!

Become a BGC Insider. Be among the first to hear of our new arrivals, special offers and promo events. Sign-up for our newsletter here http://eepurl.com/dbrcz5

Browse over 1,000 in-stock titles, order online and have your order delivered direct to your doorstep (free delivery for orders above RM150 to West Msia)

Offline jack208

• BGC Webstore
2006 Euro Gaming Retreat
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2006, 09:17:13 am »

Err.. actually Edw says we need min 20 pax but can do as many as we can. So bring them all on!!! [:)]

I'll start updating this thread with the list of ppl who have RSVPed either Yes or Maybes. Pls update your RSVPs if there are changes to enable us to better plan this event.

• Edwin (macedwin) - yes lar else who's doing this event haha

• Shaun (no nick) - Edw, I presume he's in?

• Mrs Edw - et tu?

• Jeff Au (jack208)

• Wai Yan (waiyan) tentative

Now for the Maybes

• Daniel Hor (DHEK) - waiting to get his frens to come along

Become a BGC Insider. Be among the first to hear of our new arrivals, special offers and promo events. Sign-up for our newsletter here http://eepurl.com/dbrcz5

Browse over 1,000 in-stock titles, order online and have your order delivered direct to your doorstep (free delivery for orders above RM150 to West Msia)

2006 Euro Gaming Retreat
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2006, 11:01:06 am »

Most likely I will be able to make it (have to check with the office on leave first though), but I'll have to see if I can rope in some other friends for the trip, too. :)

Uhhh... I hope the games that get chosen to play... they will be at least familiar to me... hahaha... ;D Otherwise no chance to win for first-timer! ;)

Perhaps a list of games that can be chose from can be posted up for us to consider our choices? ;) I'm sure it won't be an "all and sundry" list coz I guess you gotta make sure someone owns the game first, eh? ;)

Offline jack208

• BGC Webstore
2006 Euro Gaming Retreat
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2006, 11:19:05 am »

Everyone's who's coming can vote for the final 7 games to be played. Only those who RSVP yes can vote.

Let us start by short listing the games for voting. Once we've the final shortlist, I'll create a poll so that everyone can vote which 7 games.

Let me get the ball rolling by naming my choice of games (need not be 7 but must be 4 player games playing under 2 hrs). The 1st seven are Edwin's choices. Those with a "*" means I also support this choice of game.

• *Tikal

• *Torres

• *Reef Encounter

• *Il Principe

• Sienna

• Game of Thrones (Edw, this will take more than 2 hrs)

• *Samurai

• Puerto Rico

• Age of Steam

• Princes of Florence

• Clans

• Havoc

• Acquire

• Antike

• Elfenland

• Ingenious

• Niagara

I'll also bring Lupus in Tabula (werewolf) for the campfire gaming session!! haha...

Note: These are mostly games I've.

2006 Euro Gaming Retreat
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2006, 01:41:13 pm »

AHAHAHA!!!

OK, I guess I need more exposure to designer games, coz the ONLY games I know how to play on that preliminary list there are Puerto Rico and Havoc.

But no worries, I'll do my homework and read up the rules (or at least try to familiarise myself) on the games that I'm unfamiliar with if any of such games get chosen.

At the risk of "dumbing down" the games chosen (pity us unsophisticated folks), I'd love to suggest adding Catan (including Cities & Knights), Carcassonne (any variant) and San Juan. I have all three of those games (my Carcassonne is 'The City' variant though) and am willing to bring them if needed.

Offline ayheng

• JEDI MASTER
2006 Euro Gaming Retreat
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2006, 06:46:08 pm »

what about caylus, railroad tycoon, ra and powergrid? i propose these games. werewolf sounds interesting. games with more than 6 players can be given priority because... this is when can you have the required number of players!

Put me on the tentative list. Need to check if there is any prior engagements.

Offline jack208

• BGC Webstore
2006 Euro Gaming Retreat
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2006, 07:25:00 pm »

I think the 1st thing is that we need to quickly confirm the date else I see it's difficult for everyone to commit their calendar. Edw, you reading this? Can you put a date down asap? [:p]

As for those games you listed, Heng, they are good games but....

Caylus and RRT are not likely to go under 2 hrs unless you are playing with experience gamers and even then I doubt so for Caylus. And you know la..  we Msians don't game in "silence".. the bantering between moves are part of what we enjoyed about face2face gaming... factor that in and I will say these two won't go sub-2hrs.

Powergrid may.. but that's also pushing things a bit and we've to assume everyone knows Powergrid well enuff. As for RA, yes that's certainly a max 1-1.5 hrs game and can be added to the shortlist.

Any other games you can think of?

2006 Euro Gaming Retreat
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2006, 03:58:48 am »
If I'm gonna spend rm200 for a boardgaming retreat, I'd rather play games that I don't get to play so often. Games that are normaly more than 2 hours long, since those are the games that are seldom out on the table on normal days or weekends.

Instead of doing 2 hours shorts games, I would rather play a marathon game like 1830, Dune, Advance Civilization, War of the Ring, Diplomacy or any >3 Hours game. These are the games we all WISH we can play but in reality just couldn't find the time or the right group of people that is willing to spend hours to play with you.

Just my 2 cents.

Offline jack208

• BGC Webstore
2006 Euro Gaming Retreat
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2006, 07:30:37 am »

hmm.... how can one so "LoSt" be so "WiSe"? [:^)]

well said, my padawan fren. Come to think of it, this is good thinking! Why would we burn ourselves on 2-hr games which we can easily play week-in week-out at GC or Toybox (Nick, another mention again LOL) or even at your own place with your own gang!

If we are going to a retreat - and by that I presume we lock everyone up and throw away the keys for the two days - then we might as well play those games that are out-of-reach for us typical mortal gamers.

Games like 18xx, Dune, Advance Civ, Diplo which we always complain takes half a day. Now we have half a day and more....

I'm all for complex games! Though I also und some ppl might be more conventional and wanna do the 2-hr rote.

Maybe we shud have two groups: the Gamers and the Hardcore. And then run different games for each group. So in this way, Edw's original Retreat plan with gamers fighting over 7 games and getting some prizes will still be valid and onz.. while a small hardcores huddled together at the other corner with their "life-defining" games. [:P]

Chua, you here? I just realizes *THIS IS* the 10-hours lockdown gaming session we wanted for 1830??? Now we can do 1830 and Advanced Civ back-2-back!! Oh god!!

And at nite, let's get together around the campfire and do a 25-player Werewolf session!! that would be fun!

Hardcores, raise your hands and let me see you.. aye!

Offline jack208

• BGC Webstore
2006 Euro Gaming Retreat
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2006, 07:32:24 am »

[quote user="LoStBoYz"]These are the games we all WISH we can play but in reality just couldn't find the time or the right group of people that is willing to spend hours to play with you.
[/quote]

btw are you coming along or is this just another HAB (hot air balloon). [:P]