Hello Guest

Aug31 2006: Toybox Teaches Board Games This Merdeka Day!

• 49 Replies

Offline jack208

• BGC Webstore
  • BGG ID: jack208
  • Gaming Grp: OTK Cheras
« on: August 20, 2006, 07:09:00 pm »

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Toybox Teaches Board Games This Merdeka Day!

August 20, 2006: Settlers of Catan? Carcassonne? Railroad Tycoon? Ticket to Ride? If you haven’t heard of these games, then you are missing out on a totally new hobby hitting the local community. Designer board games have been around for ages but are making their presence felt after the first local Gamecon-1 last year.

Still no idea what these games are? Well, drop by Toybox on Merdeka Day(thats August 31) and be treated to a tutorial on the wonderful world of designer board games. It is a FREE session for all of you!

For gamers who want to introduce your friends to these games, grab this opportunity and bring them to Toybox. They get to experience and learn the games, minus the hassle of you teaching it to them.

This is also a good time for parents to introduce your kids to a healthy hobby. We have games that are suitable for kids of all ages.

Some of the games that will be on display will be:

·         Ticket to Ride

·         Settlers of Catan

·         Amazon

·         Hare & Tortoise

·         Gulo Gulo

·         Villa Paletti

·         and many more!

The tutorials will run from 10 am up to 9 pm on August 31, 2006. For more information, please email Nicholas Leong at n.leong@toybox.com.my or give him a call at 012-2675003.

Toybox is the first Malaysian hobby store to offer board games for rent. Located in Paramount Garden, we offer everyone a chance to game at an affordable rate. We also have a healthy community of card gamers in games such as VS System and Pokemon.

We are five minutes walk away from Paramount LRT station. For map and directions, please do not hesitate to email enquiry@toybox.com.my.

RSVP here

Become a BGC Insider. Be among the first to hear of our new arrivals, special offers and promo events. Sign-up for our newsletter here http://eepurl.com/dbrcz5

Browse over 1,000 in-stock titles, order online and have your order delivered direct to your doorstep (free delivery for orders above RM150 to West Msia)

Offline jack208

• BGC Webstore
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2006, 09:51:04 am »

Calling 6 players for Age of Steam. RSVP at KL Boardgames Meetup to reserve your seats. Game starts 2.30pm on Merdeka Day @ Toybox.

1. Jeff Au

2. Nick Leong

3. Chris Yap

4. Christopher (CLYX)

5. ...

6. ...

Become a BGC Insider. Be among the first to hear of our new arrivals, special offers and promo events. Sign-up for our newsletter here http://eepurl.com/dbrcz5

Browse over 1,000 in-stock titles, order online and have your order delivered direct to your doorstep (free delivery for orders above RM150 to West Msia)

Offline jack208

• BGC Webstore
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2006, 10:30:02 am »

ooh.. Ainul proposing for some crazee stunt coz he wants more challenge!

We play three boards; two AOS and one RRT

• Board 1: AOS - me + 5 gamers

• Board 2: AOS - Ainul + 5 gamers

• Board 3: RRT - Ainul, me + 4 gamers

Only for the extremely brave or disturbed... coz your brain might give way and you'll be admitted to Tg Rambutan. tsk tsk.

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2006, 01:02:28 pm »

Calling 6 players for Age of Steam. RSVP at KL Boardgames Meetup to reserve your seats. Game starts 2.30pm on Merdeka Day @ Toybox.

1. Jeff Au

2. Nick Leong

3. Chris Yap

4. Christopher (CLYX)

5. Ricky Lim

6. ...

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2006, 02:12:56 pm »

6. Nicholas Booi

I think Ainul will be able to secure another few more gamers for the other AoS session. Now to actually make space for you guys :P

Oh and me and Nicholas Booi might drift in and out of the game, we have to conduct tutorials anyway depending on turnout :)

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2006, 09:11:32 pm »

Hi hi!

We got 2 boards right? Well, if the 2nd board is open, I got one more...

7. Daniel Tan

:-)

Offline jack208

• BGC Webstore
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2006, 09:45:14 pm »

well, I cannot confirm yet whether the 2nd board will be there coz its owner has yet to text me to confirm its availability. But we'll be meeting for nosebleed tomolo at KL Sentral and I'll check with him but most likely we shud have two boards.

If not, I'll get 1856 going on the 2nd table!! Haha.. that'll be tough choices for you gamers to decide whether to go for AOS or 1856!

so let's recap who's joining... strictly those not on this list will be in wait-list and I won't allow them to jump queue.

1. Jeff Au

2. Nick Leong

3. Chris Yap

4. Christopher (CLYX)

5. Ricky Lim

6. Nicolas Booi

7. Daniel Tan

Offline jack208

• BGC Webstore
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2006, 09:52:02 pm »
[quote user="nicklwc"]

I think Ainul will be able to secure another few more gamers for the other AoS session. Now to actually make space for you guys :P

[/quote]

Yes Nick quite a fair bit of KL Meetup gamers coming... at least two tables so I appreciate if you can have some tables reserved for us. Oh, I think we all won't mind paying the rm2.50 per pax rate for this (even though the games are coming from me). I think it's fair for usage of your place. :)

NOTE TO Everyone: Pls take note there's a RM2.50 per person charge (per day) for this event. You can literally game at Toybox the entire day on Merdeka for just RM2.50. That's just to cover Toybox's cost for running the place (aircon, electricity, etc).

[quote user="nicklwc"]

6. Nicholas Booi

Oh and me and Nicholas Booi might drift in and out of the game, we have to conduct tutorials anyway depending on turnout :)

[/quote]

Ah... this I have to emphasize that AOS and 1856 are not games you can drift in and out (even for veterans) as the gameplay demands your total concentration. Else you may create inbalances in the gaming experience for others.

We do not mind teaching newbies for this game, but we need gamers who are committed to put their concentration into the game so that it's a fulfilling experience for everyone, deal?

I und you all need to take care of newbies as well so can I suggest both Nics (the Leong and Booi) take up one seat... this way I can show both of you how to play and you can take turns covering for one another when newbies demand your time?

We'll likely be around till late evening so I'm sure there'll be plenty of opportunities for us to play AOS again, this time with both of us having full concentration.

Offline jack208

• BGC Webstore
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2006, 12:50:12 am »

Chua, Ainul, Christopher, Henry... where are u Railroad Steamers??

Edw/Long, any chance of dropping by for AOS?

http://boardgamecafe.net/community/blogs/the_midnite_gamer/archive/2006/08/24/3426.aspx

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2006, 06:04:14 am »

Ahhh, not a problem, me and Booi can share a seat (not literally of course).

Two tables eh? I'll see what I can do. Have to plan the space properly :)