Hello Guest

Settlers of Catan 2007 Malaysian Qualifiers

• 227 Replies

Offline rhyen

« Reply #210 on: November 06, 2007, 09:44:25 am »
[quote user="ayheng"]

Haiyah, I think there's so much more work to be done regarding the new Asian Catan Championships.

What I'm interested now is in the Carcassonne championships next year at Essen. What are the official rules and such. I propose that we start honing our skills on this wonderful game (no? aanemesis) in order to prepare for next year. I think this game when played one-on-one is truly strategic and less luck based than settlers. But I think if chess timers are used then I'll definately not do so well.

[/quote]

dang! must switch focus from dice chucking to tile drawing....
Wait! I play Scrabble!!!
okay, must learn to Braille Carcassonne tiles now.

Offline jack208

• BGC Webstore
  • BGG ID: jack208
  • Gaming Grp: OTK Cheras
« Reply #211 on: November 06, 2007, 10:04:23 am »

[quote user="ayheng"]I think this game when played one-on-one is truly strategic and less luck based than settlers. But I think if chess timers are used then I'll definately not do so well.[/quote]

Yup certainly less afflicted with luck than aanemesis fave Catan game. But dun think you need to worry too much about the chess timers.

If they are following the chess timing convention, then you'll get like say 1 hr for total game and not 2 min per move type of limits. Even if you play slow, as long as you can finish your game within your 1 hr (and say opponent finish theirs in 20 min), you can still win if you played better.

Become a BGC Insider. Be among the first to hear of our new arrivals, special offers and promo events. Sign-up for our newsletter here http://eepurl.com/dbrcz5

Browse over 1,000 in-stock titles, order online and have your order delivered direct to your doorstep (free delivery for orders above RM150 to West Msia)

Offline Champion Eternal

• <B>JEDI MASTER</B>
« Reply #212 on: November 06, 2007, 11:34:11 am »
Chess timers do provide added urgency to Carc. Sometimes, chess timers are used in ASL tournaments as well.

I hope the chess timers are the electronic silent type which do not go tick, tock, tick tock, tick, tock, tick tock, tick, tock, tick tock, tick, tock, tick tock, tick, tock, tick tock, tick, tock, tick tock, tick, tock, tick tock, tick, tock, tick tock, tick, tock, tick tock, tick, tock, tick tock,

tick, tock, tick tock, tick, tock, tick tock, tick, tock, tick tock,

tick, tock, tick tock, tick, tock, tick tock, tick, tock, tick tock, tick, tock, tick tock,

tick, tock, tick tock,

tick, tock, tick tock...

Offline rhyen

« Reply #213 on: November 06, 2007, 11:49:32 am »
[quote user="Champion Eternal"]Chess timers do provide added urgency to Carc. Sometimes, chess timers are used in ASL tournaments as well.

I hope the chess timers are the electronic silent type which do not go tick, tock, tick tock, tick, tock, tick tock, tick, tock, tick tock, tick, tock, tick tock, tick, tock, tick tock, tick, tock, tick tock, tick, tock, tick tock, tick, tock, tick tock, tick, tock, tick tock, tick, tock, tick tock,

tick, tock, tick tock, tick, tock, tick tock, tick, tock, tick tock, tick, tock, tick tock,

tick, tock, tick tock,

tick, tock, tick tock...[/quote]

Try this brand: Samtimer
you can even program the timer itself.

Offline Champion Eternal

• <B>JEDI MASTER</B>
« Reply #214 on: November 06, 2007, 12:58:27 pm »
Hey, the Samtimer looks good. Is it available locally?

Offline rhyen

« Reply #215 on: November 06, 2007, 03:33:58 pm »
[quote user="Champion Eternal"]Hey, the Samtimer looks good. Is it available locally?
[/quote]

no local distributor here, but you can order online from him.
He will be here in Malaysia at the end of November for the Causeway Scrabble Challenge (playing for the International team).
You can try and place the order with him and send him the money and I will pick up the goods for you in Johor Bahru when I see him.

« Reply #216 on: November 06, 2007, 04:11:00 pm »
1. i have the official rules lah... how to post?

2. base set only, no expansions.

3. each player given 15 minutes. if you run out of time, you automatically lose.

4. once you place your tile, you can immediately draw another while your opponent is figuring out what to do.

5. a 2-tile castle scores 4 points (instead of 2). if with shield, then 6-8 points.

Offline jack208

• BGC Webstore
  • BGG ID: jack208
  • Gaming Grp: OTK Cheras
« Reply #217 on: November 06, 2007, 04:54:35 pm »

[quote user="macedwin"]1. i have the official rules lah... how to post? [/quote]

Post the Carcassonne Competition rules isit? If it's in text format, post it to the newly created Carcassonne Championship thread. If it's PDF or a file, send it to me and I'll upload to the file section here.

Become a BGC Insider. Be among the first to hear of our new arrivals, special offers and promo events. Sign-up for our newsletter here http://eepurl.com/dbrcz5

Browse over 1,000 in-stock titles, order online and have your order delivered direct to your doorstep (free delivery for orders above RM150 to West Msia)

« Reply #218 on: November 21, 2007, 10:40:54 am »

http://thestar.com.my/youth2/story.asp?file=/2007/11/21/youth2/19517279&sec=youth2

The article on the star... woot.. feel like a pro now.

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2007/11/21/focus/19530975&sec=focus

and this is my moms letter complaining about my empty prize... also in todays paper.. <3

« Reply #219 on: November 21, 2007, 11:27:38 am »

Oh no!!! Really sorry to hear about the theft of your prizes......... hope they find the culprit, coz you really deserved it! I assume you've made an official complaint as well as the letter to the newspaper?

Hopefully someone with a bit of muscle and identity on Boardgamegeek will post the news there, so that the BGG members can keep an eye out for these items in case the jerk tries to sell them on EBay .

Keep smiling doll [:D]