Hello Guest

Re: What organize leagues/tournaments do you want to see?

• 134 Replies
« on: November 04, 2007, 04:10:32 pm »
i (and a few other gamers) have raised this issue a few times before, the last being during mini gamecon at klcc.

if mage is in the cafe-game business, why aren't they taking more effort to organize leagues, tournaments, etc?

nothing came of the formula de league. nothing organized other than what we pushed them to organize - settlers, subbuteo.

toybox started with a few game days (merdeka, halloween, confrontation etc), and even outpost has followed suit.

the gaming community is dying for organized play - confrontation, at-43, flames of war, even 40k, not to mention the tons of boardgames.

please join the list of people that keeps telling them to take more effort to organize events, etc!

Offline wolfx

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007, 04:23:23 am »

[quote user="macedwin"]i (and a few other gamers) have raised this issue a few times before, the last being during mini gamecon at klcc. if mage is in the cafe-game business, why aren't they taking more effort to organize leagues, tournaments, etc? nothing came of the formula de league. nothing organized other than what we pushed them to organize - settlers, subbuteo. toybox started with a few game days (merdeka, halloween, confrontation etc), and even outpost has followed suit. the gaming community is dying for organized play - confrontation, at-43, flames of war, even 40k, not to mention the tons of boardgames. please join the list of people that keeps telling them to take more effort to organize events, etc![/quote]

Macedwin, what's the state of competitive gaming in Malaysia? Are there people clamoring for more events and organized tournaments and leagues?

I speak for myself but i enjoy casual gaming so I won't be one to take part in leagues and tournaments. I guess I can't handle the commitments and pressure of being in a competition.

Offline ayheng

• JEDI MASTER
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 04:47:27 am »

I guess the idea of competitive gaming is to help promote the hobby and to get different people from different groups to play on a common ground.

It's a good idea to get people from out of their regular gaming groups at home to congregate to share ideas and experiences. It also helps to exchange strategies and tips to ruffle up standard tactics practised by groups that played too much together that they settle into a predictable pattern. It is also a chance for strangers without gaming group to join in and introduce themselves.

So yeah, taking it from this angle, competitive play is a positive thing. Only thing to watch out for are the die-also-must-win type. Just take a deep breath and walk away from such a player.

I guess the point is that, having competition and events will help raise the gaming profile and awareness. And it is a step further from the good works already done by boardgamecafe, mage, toybox, outpost to bring new people into the hobby.

Mage have the venue and the resources. They have the proper atmosphere to attract working class customers and the food to keep them there. It'll be good advertising to organise an event. Start small, I guess, but start something. Don't give up.

Offline wolfx

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 05:03:42 am »
[quote user="ayheng"]

I guess the idea of competitive gaming is to help promote the hobby and to get different people from different groups to play on a common ground.

It's a good idea to get people from out of their regular gaming groups at home to congregate to share ideas and experiences. It also helps to exchange strategies and tips to ruffle up standard tactics practised by groups that played too much together that they settle into a predictable pattern. It is also a chance for strangers without gaming group to join in and introduce themselves.

So yeah, taking it from this angle, competitive play is a positive thing. Only thing to watch out for are the die-also-must-win type. Just take a deep breath and walk away from such a player.

I guess the point is that, having competition and events will help raise the gaming profile and awareness. And it is a step further from the good works already done by boardgamecafe, mage, toybox, outpost to bring new people into the hobby.

Mage have the venue and the resources. They have the proper atmosphere to attract working class customers and the food to keep them there. It'll be good advertising to organise an event. Start small, I guess, but start something. Don't give up.

[/quote]

Good point. I'd like to see a TI3 get-together/league of sorts. Or join two sets to have a 12 player match. Massive AP happening!! Hahaha.

Offline Champion Eternal

• <B>JEDI MASTER</B>
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007, 05:03:53 am »
[quote user="ayheng"]

[/quote]

I would like to see more competitive gaming. We already have some competitive gaming with our miniature wargames:
DeBAKL - our annual DBA competition
WH40K and WH - at GC
Confrontation 3.0- mini competitions

Now that FoW will be here, I hope FoW comps will be organised.

As far as boardgames are concerned theres the
SoC annual,
now the Carc is being planned
and Subbuteo - earlier this year.

I would like to see (random first-out-of- head order):
ASLSK competition or ladder
Subbuteo league
Formula De league
Memoir 44 league/competition
Caylus 2er comp
Confrontation Age of Rag 'Narok comp

Any more suggestions? Agreed that not all Euro games are suitable for comp, but I would like to see more Euros being played in a regular, friendly and competitive manner.

Offline dave

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2007, 05:38:48 am »

[quote user="Champion Eternal"]I would like to see more competitive gaming. We already have some competitive gaming with our miniature wargames:
DeBAKL - our annual DBA competition
WH40K and WH - at GC
Confrontation 3.0- mini competitions

Now that FoW will be here, I hope FoW comps will be organised.

As far as boardgames are concerned theres the
SoC annual,
now the Carc is being planned
and Subbuteo - earlier this year.

I would like to see (random first-out-of- head order):
ASLSK competition or ladder
Subbuteo league
Formula De league
Memoir 44 league/competition
Caylus 2er comp
Confrontation Age of Rag 'Narok comp

Any more suggestions? Agreed that not all Euro games are suitable for comp, but I would like to see more Euros being played in a regular, friendly and competitive manner.
[/quote]

Perhaps instead of just more competitive gaming, there should just be more events. Competitive gaming is not everyone's cup of tea and I've personally gone off quite a bit of competitive gaming (shades of Warmachine.... [brickwall]).

DeBAKLe for DBA is a tournament I organise and play in because it still feels like a friendly tourney rather than a no-holds barred, cheese to the max WH40K or other tournament.

In fact, in quite a few tournaments in KL now, you basically see the same faces and new players aren't going to stump out an entry fee to get beaten to a pulp.

Perhaps emphasis should be more on having fun rather than out-and-out winner takes all ego boosting tournaments. Also, rather than expecting shops/distributors to do all the organisation, perhaps it's time for groups of enthusiasts to do some organising as well. Share the burden, so to speak.

Just my take on the whole matter....

Offline jack208

• BGC Webstore
  • BGG ID: jack208
  • Gaming Grp: OTK Cheras
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2007, 06:34:10 am »

You can't have a competition without getting those competitive gamers. It's comes with the territory. That said, when a competition is made up of known faces it tends to be more friendly.. when it's composed of strangers, you can get fireworks.

Even in the Memoir 44 competition which we did in 2005, in the finals one of the field generals almost wanted to walk off. The reason? He felt his commander-in-chief were not giving him enuff action cards to do his thing! Both of them didn't know each other before the event.

I personally will like to see (and plan to do) these two events: the 18xx Gamers Con (Spore is keen to do 18xx with us too) and possibly the ASL league.

I like what they are doing over at Chattoonaga for the 18xx event and would like to mirror something like that here. It's not just 18xx they play but they do other train games too so we could have RRT, Age of Steam, Ticket to Ride, Union Pacific etc.

For 18xx, it's best if we could have a series of step-up games so that ppl can join us by starting with 18AL/18GA type of starter, proceed to 18Scan/18Mex as mid-level before ending the event with 1856!! Or mebbe have a grand-finale on 1832 (which is basically a merger of 1856 and 1870)!!!

Note: I've got an order with Deep Thought on 1832, same as rhyen's order for 18EU but I guess with the Essen event, that's delaying our order for ..... dunno how long [:(]

The ASL system lends itself nicely to a league type of competition. Now that we have the complete starter kit available for sale (ASL SK1 to SK3), and a few of us already own the full SK series not to mention one or two ASL tai-kors who own the main ASL set, there are more than enuff scenarios for us to do the league.

CE, we were suppose to start discussing about the league scoring etc? Mebbe start a thread in the ASL forum? [:)]

Also sometime next year, I'm hoping to do a Puerto Rico / Caylus competition. But won't be a 2er Caylus. It'll be 4er for both PR and Caylus with bidding for start positions. Game format will be more round-robin than knock-out. It's all just hot-air for now.. hehehe

Become a BGC Insider. Be among the first to hear of our new arrivals, special offers and promo events. Sign-up for our newsletter here http://eepurl.com/dbrcz5

Browse over 1,000 in-stock titles, order online and have your order delivered direct to your doorstep (free delivery for orders above RM150 to West Msia)

Offline dave

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2007, 09:36:58 am »

My main worry has always been to get new faces into tournaments as a way of expanding the hobby. That's why I suggested events. For example, Shinobi has always put up good fun events with his Savage Worlds participation games. Perhaps not too many newbies but always fun to play...

Even DeBAKLe has a problem getting new faces into DBA as we tend to run with the same crowd every year. Not bad but I was really hoping to draw more people into the game.

Some fun leagues and friendly tournaments would definitely be worth having to inject more excitement. Even if I can't participate, I'll cheer from the sidelines.... [clapclap]

Offline jack208

• BGC Webstore
  • BGG ID: jack208
  • Gaming Grp: OTK Cheras
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2007, 09:53:51 am »
[quote user="dave"]For example, Shinobi has always put up good fun events with his Savage Worlds participation games. Perhaps not too many newbies but always fun to play...[/quote]

Ah yes the Savage Worlds! That's some good work from Shin's side. Hope he continues to update us on such events. I oso thnk there are some organized events at WolfGS (one of his haunts). Are they doing FoW organized league/event? Or WarMachine stuff?

[quote user="dave"]My main worry has always been to get new faces into tournaments as a way of expanding the hobby. [/quote]

I absolutely agree 110% with you on this. I think aanemesis and CE would also agree. So you are in for the next 18xx game (at Mage) right? hehehe....

Become a BGC Insider. Be among the first to hear of our new arrivals, special offers and promo events. Sign-up for our newsletter here http://eepurl.com/dbrcz5

Browse over 1,000 in-stock titles, order online and have your order delivered direct to your doorstep (free delivery for orders above RM150 to West Msia)

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2007, 10:02:01 am »

Yeah, I wish someone would organize Necromunda and/or Blood Bowl leagues. I've done both in the past, with newsletter for Necromunda, and a custom made scoreboard for Blood Bowl. Although both are technically boardgames, they are only for 2 players per game session. But works well with football league style of play, with "player" developments, better equipment etc as the league progresses. In this case, the humans are either "team leaders" or "coaches" whereas the miniatures [these games use minis] are "gang members" or "players".

For boardgames, I wish someone would organize these tourneys:
- TI 3
- Caylus 2p
- San Juan

Would be curious to see how an 18xx event would be organized.