Hello Guest

Re: What organize leagues/tournaments do you want to see?

• 134 Replies

Offline Champion Eternal

• <B>JEDI MASTER</B>
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2007, 05:02:08 pm »
[quote user="jack208"]

[quote user="Champion Eternal"]
I agree w you : Caylus 2er.
[/quote]

Oooh... if u wanna do this, better get like 200+ plays under BSW else aanemesis will cream you (or us too)... hehe.

btw I thot Games Circle do Blood Bowl league, no?

[/quote]
Caylus 2er is better than multiplayer in a tourney situation, otherwise it might be a bit chaotic ... and random. [:)]

Offline Champion Eternal

• <B>JEDI MASTER</B>
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2007, 05:06:17 pm »
[quote user="macedwin"]my view is that there are 2 types of tournaments...

1. where the stakes are high (eg. settlers and next year, carcassonne),

2. the fun ones, just to get people together in an organized manner and play against someone other than your regular playing partners (or whipping horses as the case may be!). i would put subbuteo, and gamecon-1's acquire and memoir in this category. i would even go so far as to say last year's euro game retreat would be in this friendly competition category.

i'm referring more to the second category, where its more organized play than "competition". mage is planning a big blokus competition, there will be the usual soc & carcassonne, we will have more subbuteo, and i can organize another memoir.

but beyond that, i would like to see the gaming places take more initiative. toybox did their bit with merdeka fiesta, lots of ccgs, and even confrontation!

gc does only gw and bloodbowl.

outpost just got started with halloween and has confirmed blokus.

wolf's does a fair bit of warmachine and lately fow.

so that leaves mage...

i am also commiting to fow and confrontation/at-43. but i would like to play in formula de and acquire![/quote]

Yeh -formula de and acquire would be fun.
I will have to try Duel in the Dark first to find out if its suitable for tourneys.
BTW, Neuroshima Hex could be perfect for tourneys : its fast and fun.

Offline rhyen

« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2007, 10:16:17 am »
[quote user="ayheng"]

So yeah, taking it from this angle, competitive play is a positive thing. Only thing to watch out for are the die-also-must-win type. Just take a deep breath and walk away from such a player.

Mage have the venue and the resources. They have the proper atmosphere to attract working class customers and the food to keep them there. It'll be good advertising to organise an event. Start small, I guess, but start something. Don't give up.

[/quote]

"Die, you MOFOs!!!"
*everyone points guns*
"DIE! YOU MOFO!!!"
"AIYEE!!! Die, you MOFOs!!!"

Sometimes, I disagree about putting the burden on the venue itself.
If the competition generates good revenue for them, they will pick it up.
But if it doesn't (which is normally the case), then there is no point in forcing them to throw their effort in.
Better to get all the enthusiast to come together to organized/trash out a proper system that is portable to any of the regular gaming venues/convention gatherings we frequent.

Offline rhyen

« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2007, 10:18:42 am »
[quote user="jack208"]

I personally will like to see (and plan to do) these two events: the 18xx Gamers Con (Spore is keen to do 18xx with us too) and possibly the ASL league.

I like what they are doing over at Chattoonaga for the 18xx event and would like to mirror something like that here. It's not just 18xx they play but they do other train games too so we could have RRT, Age of Steam, Ticket to Ride, Union Pacific etc.

For 18xx, it's best if we could have a series of step-up games so that ppl can join us by starting with 18AL/18GA type of starter, proceed to 18Scan/18Mex as mid-level before ending the event with 1856!! Or mebbe have a grand-finale on 1832 (which is basically a merger of 1856 and 1870)!!!

[/quote]

I like!!! even though I know I am going to finish dead last again and again and again.

[quote user="jack208"]

Also sometime next year, I'm hoping to do a Puerto Rico / Caylus competition. But won't be a 2er Caylus. It'll be 4er for both PR and Caylus with bidding for start positions. Game format will be more round-robin than knock-out. It's all just hot-air for now.. hehehe

[/quote]

I am in anytime.

Offline rhyen

« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2007, 10:22:26 am »
[quote user="dave"]

My main worry has always been to get new faces into tournaments as a way of expanding the hobby. That's why I suggested events. For example, Shinobi has always put up good fun events with his Savage Worlds participation games. Perhaps not too many newbies but always fun to play...

Even DeBAKLe has a problem getting new faces into DBA as we tend to run with the same crowd every year. Not bad but I was really hoping to draw more people into the game.

Some fun leagues and friendly tournaments would definitely be worth having to inject more excitement. Even if I can't participate, I'll cheer from the sidelines.... [clapclap]

[/quote]

Tournament settings are the lousiest way to intro newbies to gaming, especially when you throw in the newbies with the sharks at the deep end, unless they can learn to swim very fast.

Better to have division play where newbies can play against their own with intermediate players and masters sharing tips and cheering them on so that they will want to move up to try their luck against the sharks (about 1 in 10, according to a Chess report,  will aspire to higher play, but only 1 in 100 of those people will make it to the GM level, the rest will level off around or before IM).

I credit the Singapore Scrabble scene with such a system compared to the Malaysian scene.

Offline rhyen

« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2007, 10:23:37 am »
[quote user="aanemesis"]

For boardgames, I wish someone would organize these tourneys:
- TI 3
- Caylus 2p
- San Juan

Would be curious to see how an 18xx event would be organized.

[/quote]

TI:3? NNNNNNNNOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline rhyen

« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2007, 10:26:41 am »
[quote user="jack208"]

[quote user="Champion Eternal"]
I agree w you : Caylus 2er.
[/quote]

Oooh... if u wanna do this, better get like 200+ plays under BSW else aanemesis will cream you (or us too)... hehe.

[/quote]

He already cream Hengy so we know the results of that matchup.
I lost many times to Jeff, so that leaves Chua, Jeff and Ainul in the winners bracket.

Okay Hengy, want to joust in the losers' bracket?

Offline Champion Eternal

• <B>JEDI MASTER</B>
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2007, 11:19:23 am »
[quote user="rhyen"][quote user="ayheng"]

So yeah, taking it from this angle, competitive play is a positive thing. Only thing to watch out for are the die-also-must-win type. Just take a deep breath and walk away from such a player.

Mage have the venue and the resources. They have the proper atmosphere to attract working class customers and the food to keep them there. It'll be good advertising to organise an event. Start small, I guess, but start something. Don't give up.

[/quote]

"Die, you MOFOs!!!"
*everyone points guns*
"DIE! YOU MOFO!!!"
"AIYEE!!! Die, you MOFOs!!!"

Sometimes, I disagree about putting the burden on the venue itself.
If the competition generates good revenue for them, they will pick it up.
But if it doesn't (which is normally the case), then there is no point in forcing them to throw their effort in.
Better to get all the enthusiast to come together to organized/trash out a proper system that is portable to any of the regular gaming venues/convention gatherings we frequent.

[/quote]

Or make a rule against using unparliamentary language.

Offline Champion Eternal

• <B>JEDI MASTER</B>
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2007, 11:21:36 am »
[quote user="rhyen"][quote user="jack208"]

I personally will like to see (and plan to do) these two events: the 18xx Gamers Con (Spore is keen to do 18xx with us too) and possibly the ASL league.

I like what they are doing over at Chattoonaga for the 18xx event and would like to mirror something like that here. It's not just 18xx they play but they do other train games too so we could have RRT, Age of Steam, Ticket to Ride, Union Pacific etc.

For 18xx, it's best if we could have a series of step-up games so that ppl can join us by starting with 18AL/18GA type of starter, proceed to 18Scan/18Mex as mid-level before ending the event with 1856!! Or mebbe have a grand-finale on 1832 (which is basically a merger of 1856 and 1870)!!!

[/quote]

I like!!! even though I know I am going to finish dead last again and again and again.

[/quote]

That's the spirit! Never give up! Never surrender!

Offline Champion Eternal

• <B>JEDI MASTER</B>
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2007, 11:24:30 am »
[quote user="rhyen"]
Tournament settings are the lousiest way to intro newbies to gaming, especially when you throw in the newbies with the sharks at the deep end, unless they can learn to swim very fast.

[/quote]

A miniature wargames tournament provides a good showcase for newbies, esp if the prizes are good like DeBAKL's prizes.