• Boardgamekids
  • Gaming Grp: Boardgamekids
Visit to Orphanage Home
« on: November 05, 2008, 07:46:23 am »

Teaching and Playing Boardgames with Children in Sunbeams Home

• Date:          16.11.2008, Sunday

• Time:         3pm - 5pm

• Venue:       Sunbeams Home, Taman Mawar, Cheras

• Objectives:  To share our time and joy with the children.

For children, playing board game not only just having fun but help building their character, social and thinking skills, and most importantly develops their self-esteem. We hope we can play our part in the community and learn from each others too :)

List of Volunteers
Kids Edusoft
1. Kah May
2. Steven
3. Hui Pin
4. Hui Pin's friend
5. Wai Yan
BoardgameCafe
6. Allen Sam
7. Yee Ling
8. Arm
9. Jeff
..............anyone else?

There will be 45 children age from 7 to 15 joining for the session. And we have 9 volunteers so far.

Age    Number  Group   Size
7 - 8        8            2         4
9 - 10      10           2         5
11 - 12     12          2         6
13 - 15     18          3         6
              -----      ----
                45         9
              ------     ----

If there are more volunteers then we can have more smaller groups and involve children from age 5 to 6 years old also. If you are interested to join us, or want to contribute anything (like ideas, etc) please let me know, okay?

Thank you for volunteering yourself :)

Offline jack208

• BGC Webstore
  • BGG ID: jack208
  • Gaming Grp: OTK Cheras
Visit to Orphanage Home
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 07:09:52 pm »

Had a great day with the kids at the Sunbeam Foster Home together with nine other wonderful volunteers - Arm, Allen, Yee Ling, Cheryl, Kah May, Choi Yee, Alvin, Clarence and waiyan.

Here's a pic of the facilitators with the kids! Boardgamecafe.net would like to thank all of them for sharing their time with the kids. Will hope to upload more pics (and even videos) of this session together with a eventrep (mebbe while I'm in Angkor? [:P])

Become a BGC Insider. Be among the first to hear of our new arrivals, special offers and promo events. Sign-up for our newsletter here http://eepurl.com/dbrcz5

Browse over 1,000 in-stock titles, order online and have your order delivered direct to your doorstep (free delivery for orders above RM150 to West Msia)

Offline jack208

• BGC Webstore
Visit to Orphanage Home
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 05:53:34 pm »

Photos for this event now uploaded to Flickr. Will do a eventrep on this and post to the main page. [:)] Once again, thanks to all who voluntered their precious time for the children.

Enjoy -> http://www.flickr.com/photos/boardgamecafes/sets/72157612284812818/

Become a BGC Insider. Be among the first to hear of our new arrivals, special offers and promo events. Sign-up for our newsletter here http://eepurl.com/dbrcz5

Browse over 1,000 in-stock titles, order online and have your order delivered direct to your doorstep (free delivery for orders above RM150 to West Msia)

Offline c mun

Visit to Orphanage Home
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 04:49:30 pm »

My kids and I had a wonderful time gaming with those lovely children too. Are we planning another visit soon?

Offline jack208

• BGC Webstore
Visit to Orphanage Home
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 06:19:01 am »
Oh yes we certainly are... boardgamecafe.net would like to do more of these events and do our part both in promoting boardgames to these young children and also to bring some happiness to their life [:)] I'm sure they enjoyed gaming with all of you as well.
(vs just doing events for the sake of getting more game sales)

Offline waiyan

• JEDI Council
    • Boardgamekids
  • Gaming Grp: Boardgamekids
Visit to Orphanage Home
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 07:11:46 am »

Actually I paid a personal visit to Sunbeams Home a couple of weeks ago with my nephew, Cheng (age 4), during the festive season. We brought along a very simple game. There are only 3 children age from 4 to 6 years old and two of them were back home(their own home). So Cheng ended up playing with Eric. It was his first time playing with someone who is the same age as him. It's a different experience for Cheng and he tended to be more patience. I could see that they both enjoyed it and I promise them for more gaming sessions in future.

Maybe CMun you can in charge for this young group in our next visit, and I am sure my nephew would like to join in too.

Any suggestion of date? Possibly on Sunday afternoon for a 1.5 hour session. We will try to coordinate and look for volunteers.

Since the children already had the experience and expectation, this time we will pre-assign them into groups (with the help from Sunbeams staff) and they will stick to the group for the whole session.

Offline c mun

Visit to Orphanage Home
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2009, 02:29:46 pm »

How about the Sun after the Cninese New Year? Reassigning them to an age group is excellent . Keep a list too. Maybe Sharpnel can join us and bring his 6 year old nephew too.