Hello Guest

2008 Carcassonne Championship (Msia)

• 38 Replies

Offline Champion Eternal

• <B>JEDI MASTER</B>
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2007, 03:11:32 am »
Carc and some of the expansions are available on BSW. You might want to try it out there and see. I have tried the expansions there once only, so cannot comment. The English rules for the expansions are available online at BSW too.

« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2007, 03:41:23 am »

[quote user="LoStBoYz"]I have vanilla carcassonne, not too sure if the expansion will add more to the game other than making it more complex and the game longer. If anyone has played the above expansion, please comment.

I have carcassonne the city too, but I still like vanilla best. City is a gamers game, complex and many ways to win the game. gametime is longer too.
[/quote]

I've tried the expansions on BSW. And yes, they do make Carc more complex and the game longer. But I think that's the point. Most expansions add tiles to the basic set e.g. erweiterung @ river [I think] tiles. There is only one way to place them - all connected into one big winding river at the start, before you can start going in all directions with normal tiles. The rest have more funky tiles, and other wooden bits with interesting effects, like the big meeple, the pig, and the trader.

Not sure about the city expansion. Is this the one with the princess and trade goods? Although my BSW client is in english, the Carc expansion options are in german, and you can actually pick and choose which option you want, and I'm not sure if they correlate exactly to the boardgame expansions. Both are also interesting, changing the way you play the game if it benefits you. For example, in vanilla game, you don't want to complete a castle if someone else has the dominant number of meeples coz they'll get the points. But with trade goods, the person who completes the castle get the goods, while points are calculated normally. Oh btw, I hate don't like Carcassonne.

« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2007, 05:29:15 am »
Its not you don't like, you don't get it. [:)]
The AHA factor haven't hit you yet.
Play 1 on 1 and you'll realise the strategy and winning moves.

Offline c mun

« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2007, 02:01:25 am »
[quote user="aanemesis"]

[quote user="LoStBoYz"]I have vanilla carcassonne, not too sure if the expansion will add more to the game other than making it more complex and the game longer. If anyone has played the above expansion, please comment.

I have carcassonne the city too, but I still like vanilla best. City is a gamers game, complex and many ways to win the game. gametime is longer too.
[/quote]

I've tried the expansions on BSW. And yes, they do make Carc more complex and the game longer. But I think that's the point. Most expansions add tiles to the basic set e.g. erweiterung @ river [I think] tiles. There is only one way to place them - all connected into one big winding river at the start, before you can start going in all directions with normal tiles. The rest have more funky tiles, and other wooden bits with interesting effects, like the big meeple, the pig, and the trader.

Not sure about the city expansion. Is this the one with the princess and trade goods? Although my BSW client is in english, the Carc expansion options are in german, and you can actually pick and choose which option you want, and I'm not sure if they correlate exactly to the boardgame expansions. Both are also interesting, changing the way you play the game if it benefits you. For example, in vanilla game, you don't want to complete a castle if someone else has the dominant number of meeples coz they'll get the points. But with trade goods, the person who completes the castle get the goods, while points are calculated normally. Oh btw, I hate don't like Carcassonne.

[/quote]

I've fallen head over heels with Carcassone(with the silly River) after playing it last week.And Jeff just informed me the Big Box is OOS now.Grrrrrrrr!Why dont you like Carc?!

Offline c mun

« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2007, 02:03:47 am »
[quote user="c mun"][quote user="aanemesis"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I've fallen head over heels with Carcassone(with the silly River) after playing it last week.And Jeff just informed me the Big Box is OOS now.Grrrrrrrr!Why dont you like Carc?!

[/quote]

Gentlemen,it's 'the game' for ASH (& FHM).Start loving it and LIVE it...hehehe..[:P]

« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2007, 03:07:45 am »
[quote user="aanemesis"]Not sure about the city expansion.[/quote]

Carcasonne the City is not an expansion. Its a standalone game that uses carcarsonne's game mechanic.
This is the game that comes in a wooden box.

This time round, you lay tiles INSIDE the carcarsonne city itself. So the city zones consist of walls, residences and markets. You still place meeples like you do in vanilla carc, eg. on the road, on the markets (castle) and on the residences (farm). They added walls & towers, which come into play midway in the game and on the wall you can place more meeples which acts as sentry guards. This creates additional ways to win the game and also more ways to screw your neighbour. The walls basically cordones off any expansions. The end result is VERY pretty. You get a somewhat 3d effect of the city surrounded by walls (the walls and towers are wooden blocks). Nice.

Offline jack208

• BGC Webstore
  • BGG ID: jack208
  • Gaming Grp: OTK Cheras
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2007, 06:35:47 am »

Not many have Carcassonne The City.... but I like playing the City more than the basic Carcassonne. City is much more cut-throat and more gamers-type.

Beside Carc The City, the other Carcassonne I've is The Hunters & Gatherers which is a variant based on the cavemen era! This is a very nice ver of Carcassonne to play with young children.

Here's the list of ALL Carcassonne games plus their expansions!

If you do not yet have even the basic Carcassonne, then getting the Carc Big Box (item not updated to our webstore yet but you can PM me) is the best way to start your Carcassonne collections.

You may see a long list of exps from the list above (or click here) but the only three exps that are really worth getting are the River, Traders & Builders and Inns & Cathedrals. Princess & Dragons is not bad but the others are really quite optional.

So the Big Box gave you basically all that you need to keep Carcassoning.

Become a BGC Insider. Be among the first to hear of our new arrivals, special offers and promo events. Sign-up for our newsletter here http://eepurl.com/dbrcz5

Browse over 1,000 in-stock titles, order online and have your order delivered direct to your doorstep (free delivery for orders above RM150 to West Msia)

« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2007, 04:09:16 am »

c mun, I had a very bad experience with my first game of Carc, receiving a royal screwing from the 2 jokers who were supposed to teach me the game. That left a very bad taste for a long time. However, as I started playing eurogames, I gave it a second chance. By then, I developed a preference for games with less luck and rely more on skill & player interaction. Carc's normal game of single tile draws is a bit more random than I like.

However, I know it is a fav with the ladies. BGG seems to have Carc on lists of "games to play with wives/gf/chicks" etc on a regular basis. So if got ladies want to play, I can join wan... no problem. But I myself wouldn't suggest playing it with the gaming kakis la.

Offline Champion Eternal

• <B>JEDI MASTER</B>
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2007, 07:16:50 am »
Aanemesis, I sympathise with you. That's the main reason why I don't like PR. I think we are talking about the same jokers since the venue is the same.

Offline ayheng

• JEDI MASTER
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2007, 07:57:55 am »

I've a bad first time carcassonne experience as well (are we talking about the same jokers here?).

Fortunately the 2nd game put me right. I have since come to the conclusion that newbies should only play with other newbies. Otherwise the experince will be 'coloured' (like that watsitcall DIE!!! handler game...)

And aanemesis, I thought you like Neuroshima Hex? with that random tile draw and such....?...hehehe [evillook]