Hello Guest

Friday the 14th (Dec 2007)

• 63 Replies
« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2007, 07:16:43 am »
kids can handle lots more than their parents think lah... shaun playing puerto rico at 8, painting/playing 40k at 9, storm over arnhem & target arnhem at 10, ti3 at 11, and beat england & romania in carcassonne international finals at 12... don't let them try of course you will still think they can't handle lah... let them try and "your son/daughter" boleh!

« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2007, 10:51:44 am »

[quote user="ayheng"]aanemesis: glad to know your kids love the games, they shud do PS2 less often... I'm surprised that they can do puerto rico, they're like primary shool kids yet, rite?[/quote]

Brought the 13yo and 10yo. Both play PR, Caylus, AoS & Sceptre of Zavandor. Have yet to play TI3 as I lack the time. Yes, I wanted them to play less PS2, and meet more BG people for the social interaction and brain tickling.

Offline jack208

• BGC Webstore
  • BGG ID: jack208
  • Gaming Grp: OTK Cheras
« Reply #42 on: December 17, 2007, 11:41:21 am »

[quote user="aanemesis"]Brought the 13yo and 10yo. Both play PR, Caylus, AoS & Sceptre of Zavandor. Have yet to play TI3 as I lack the time. Yes, I wanted them to play less PS2, and meet more BG people for the social interaction and brain tickling.[/quote]

Oh.. they know how to play a lot of games! They even say one of their faves is some "memory" game... oops. Wait, they said I'm not suppose to tell their father this. [:P]

Joking aside, they know P.Rico well (relatively speaking) - I was observing that game - and they picked up O Zoo Le Mio pretty fast though we only did one year (ie one round).

Become a BGC Insider. Be among the first to hear of our new arrivals, special offers and promo events. Sign-up for our newsletter here http://eepurl.com/dbrcz5

Browse over 1,000 in-stock titles, order online and have your order delivered direct to your doorstep (free delivery for orders above RM150 to West Msia)

« Reply #43 on: December 17, 2007, 05:49:58 pm »

Event Report of Friday the 14th.

Hobby Canteen event came about when good friends- C_mun and shrapnel, shared the idea of spreading the gospel of boardgaming.., even to their very own friends. Also, what sparked the idea was the lamentation of the lack of ASH babes. And the FHMs.

They got hold of Eric (an old friend of many years) - he has got the venue.

And Kopikid, he brews coffee passionately.

Time to start: 700pm (but many were expected to be late due to Friday and all…)

FHMs usually mean there will definitely be kids. Heck, there will be families. Hence, few things were set up:

1                    Nursing room

2                    Kids Room

3                    Food was catered (since they realized that moms will rush home to immediately pick up kids to Hobby Canteen with nothing in their tummy).

Below are their open, honest reports. Sources also include the feedback forms.

The Good.

• There were 27 adults & 15 kids.

• While some were eating, Wolf (from WGS) took a bunch of kids and adults to a room for Werewolves session. But he had to leave early for band practice. They asked for more!

• A family of five started with Arbos. Although it was a simple game, it also created ‘tension’. It’s a dexterity game mah… It's like a party game so laughter is guaranteed.

• They made LostBoyz to be Game master. He bestows knowledge on the young ones on Zooloretto. It is such a pleasant game and LostBoyz being made a Game master was not a mistake.

• Blokus was on. Knowing the simple rules was one thing. Once the gamers grasped the concept, they went scheming frenzy! (witnessed by shrapnel)

• O Zoo Le Mio was introduced. Pretty easy game to pick up… not that easy to put down. Six year old was seen scoring many points!

• LostBoyz brought along Notre Dame. Such an honor to have a new un-punched game punched at Hobby Canteen. Caught playing with Rob and aanemesis.

• jack208 and waiyan - Game masters.

• Hey! That’s my fish was a blast! Saw 2 families cracking away…

• Kid’s Room: Played Hisss, Slamwich.

• Lucky Draw at 10pm. Total 6 giveaways.

• R2: Saw 4 person playing Settlers of Catan. 3 of them were new to that game. On another table had Arbos going and later ‘Life Boats’ (Also new to those games).

• R2: Saw 5 players on Gloom. What a nice gloomy game. The 10 yr old like it a lot.

• R2: Saw 9 players (inclusive 1 moderator) on Werewolves

• Ended 4am.

• Good amount of feedback forms returned with good amount of … well, feedbacks.

The Bad.

• Very Noisy

• 7 people didnt turn up.

• Some found food was too pricey.

• Tables too small.

• Some could not find location easily.

• Very difficult to game with kids in Kids Room. Shrapnel’s notebook was more intriguing than the cartoon shown!

• Sales could not cover Food cost.

• Lack of man-power = slow service.

The Ugly.

• Tremendous Food wastage! Very guilty!

• The Cleaning up. (But it was a mighty fine job done). Got home at 7++am. Zzz

•  Go to work after that...

Objectives met:

• Introduce people to various boardgames. There’s more to it than just Monopoly, y'know?

• Stir interests to know even more boardgames and play.

• Already, there are requests to purchase games.

• Also request for the next event.

• Make new friends

• There were many ladies… >ahem!<

Finally, Hobby Canteen is happy to have cooked up such an event within 2 weeks. On the other hand, they humbly apologize should there be any sort of disappointments caused.

There’s an almost unimaginably huge room for improvement. Tolong help share ideas, ya!

(Pics coming soon!)

Offline ayheng

• JEDI MASTER
« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2007, 02:04:25 am »

Nice long report! Kudos![:)][thumbsup]

some initial reactions:

1. food? there was food?

2. 27 adults and 15 kids and you guys did only a few boardgames? what did the rest do?

3. what happened to the new copy of that's life?

That's all the question for now, will write when i think up more.

again, good job with the event! [clapclap]

« Reply #45 on: December 18, 2007, 02:31:29 am »
Few things could've been made better :

- Gamemasters to teach games was a good idea, but gamelist was not given earlier for them to beef-up on the rules. Scary to throw them out in the open and expect them to know every games there are available.
- The theme was not clear : Was it a cafe with boardgames or boardgames with food served?
- If volunteers was needed; could have just asked on BGC and specify what was required of them.
- Idea was there but execution was not. But then its not easy to execute such things, especially when there are adults and kids needing different things.
- Throw away the PCs and Laptops next time, those things will attract kids like flies.

« Reply #46 on: December 18, 2007, 02:57:58 am »
well done!

despite the reported shortcomings, any event that can draw > 20 adults + kids deserves honorable mention!

look forward to the next one.

« Reply #47 on: December 18, 2007, 04:10:28 am »
[quote user="ayheng"]

Nice long report! Kudos![:)][thumbsup]

some initial reactions:

1. food? there was food?

2. 27 adults and 15 kids and you guys did only a few boardgames? what did the rest do?

3. what happened to the new copy of that's life?

That's all the question for now, will write when i think up more.

again, good job with the event! [clapclap]

[/quote]

Thanks Ayheng.

1. Yes, There was food. A lot!

2. Not many came on time (7:30pm - 8pm).We expected that already.  Taking an hour to eat, leaving them only an hour (plus) to play. Also, they were catching up with one another. Shaking of hands was a plenty (making new friends, I think). Lucky Draw was at 10am. We do not want to hold them families longer than we should.

3. Not opened. :( oh well.., that's life. haha

« Reply #48 on: December 18, 2007, 07:06:51 am »

My $0.02:

- the map is unclear, so finding exact location once we got to the block was a little challenging. The general location itself was ok for me as I pass by the place almost everyday.
- the PCs and laptops were good time-fillers before the gaming started, but should be switched off once the event was underway. You know how kids get bored & fidgety easily right.
- need to address the downtime for early arrivals. For e.g. when I got there at 8pm, saw gamemaster Wolf sitting there looking slightly bewildered. Aside from the fact that he's not used to the family crowd, guess he wasn't sure what game to demo.

But overall it was a good effort. You guys should've done a food sale after that. [:P]

« Reply #49 on: December 18, 2007, 09:27:05 am »

[quote user="LoStBoYz"]Few things could've been made better :

- Gamemasters to teach games was a good idea, but gamelist was not given earlier for them to beef-up on the rules. Scary to throw them out in the open and expect them to know every games there are available.
- The theme was not clear : Was it a cafe with boardgames or boardgames with food served?
- If volunteers was needed; could have just asked on BGC and specify what was required of them.
- Idea was there but execution was not. But then its not easy to execute such things, especially when there are adults and kids needing different things.
- Throw away the PCs and Laptops next time, those things will attract kids like flies.

[/quote]

Looks like there were certain areas we didnt take into consideration... Above all the theme is very important. You're darn right about the PCs...

Thanks