Hello Guest

Friday the 14th (Dec 2007)

• 63 Replies
« Reply #50 on: December 18, 2007, 09:32:56 am »

[quote user="macedwin"]well done! despite the reported shortcomings, any event that can draw > 20 adults + kids deserves honorable mention! look forward to the next one.[/quote]

Thanks Ed.

We were already thinking about the next one during the school holidays (March): Boardgame Camp. (For teens, perhaps?)

Not a far away place... mebbe some local school classroom block - with permission of course.

And oh, you think your band be ready by then?

« Reply #51 on: December 18, 2007, 09:44:49 am »
[quote user="aanemesis"]

My $0.02:

- the map is unclear, so finding exact location once we got to the block was a little challenging. The general location itself was ok for me as I pass by the place almost everyday.
- the PCs and laptops were good time-fillers before the gaming started, but should be switched off once the event was underway. You know how kids get bored & fidgety easily right.
- need to address the downtime for early arrivals. For e.g. when I got there at 8pm, saw gamemaster Wolf sitting there looking slightly bewildered. Aside from the fact that he's not used to the family crowd, guess he wasn't sure what game to demo.

But overall it was a good effort. You guys should've done a food sale after that. [:P]

[/quote]

Thanks aanemesis.

As for Wolf, while he was pressing for time, he mentioned that he didnt feel quite fit in with all those metalic decorations around him, after sensing that the crowd was mainly 'family-family' type. I told him not to worry - afterall, I want him to be himself! Guess I'll pop by his place and get some personal feedbacks.

Y'know... I think you're right about doing the food sales after all that.

Offline Champion Eternal

• <B>JEDI MASTER</B>
« Reply #52 on: December 18, 2007, 11:17:09 am »
Good report Shrapnel...and well done in introducing others to boardgaming.

A few questions, if I may:
1. I am still not sure about the objectives of the gathering. OK you have established that one of the objectives was to introduce more people to gaming. This was achieved. Were there other objectives.e.g. sales of games to these friends?

2. In your report, you said 'Some found the food was too pricey.' Er... did the people who turn up have to pay for the food?

3. Is this a prelude to starting a games cafe, since you mentioned 'sales' and 'food cost'?[:)]

« Reply #53 on: December 18, 2007, 01:43:52 pm »
1. the band will definitely be ready by then!

2. let me know when you plan to have your next do. i will be happy to sponsor prizes, door gifts, etc! like i said, anyone who can pull in >20 people to try games deserves to be supported!

3. just to clarify, who paid for the food? and do all attendees have to pay any cover?

keep up the good work!

Offline c mun

« Reply #54 on: December 18, 2007, 02:07:48 pm »
[quote user="ayheng"]

finally some updates. but we need more, more! no of attendees, games played, etc. where's the organisers with the pics??? c_mun, shrapnel, jack208, rhyen, you guys are wanted here...

aanemesis: glad to know your kids love the games, they shud do PS2 less often... I'm surprised that they can do puerto rico, they're like primary shool kids yet, rite?

[/quote]

Sorry la.Some photos in my cam,some in Eric's,some in Jeff's.After recuperating from the aftermath of staying up till 7am (after the last boardgamer left at 4am,we cleaned up till 6am!!! By the time we manage to drag all stuff into our cars which included lots of pots and pans and even a BIG microwave,we became zombieeeees) Then no time to put pics here cause I tapau more stuff to be trekking in some mountain 4095m above sea level now.Shrapnel,be a good boy and get the pics out soon.Thanks.[;)]

Offline c mun

« Reply #55 on: December 18, 2007, 02:21:34 pm »

[quote user="macedwin"]1. the band will definitely be ready by then! 2. let me know when you plan to have your next do. i will be happy to sponsor prizes, door gifts, etc! like i said, anyone who can pull in >20 people to try games deserves to be supported! 3. just to clarify, who paid for the food? and do all attendees have to pay any cover? keep up the good work![/quote]

We did a food sale-a la carte and set dinner.However we ordered too much and due to lack of helpers to serve the food,service was slow and a bit chaotic.

A particular young man did request for jazz to be played.With kids as young as 3 running around and 2 boys aged 5 and 6 who actually had a fist fight ,I doubt you can even hear a thing! Perhaps the next time, we'll invite kids age 7 upwards only.

Yes, by the way,our wonderful Game Masters Jeff,Wai Yan,Mr. Long & Wolf will each receive a RM10 Starbucks Voucher courtesy of Hobby Canteen  in appreciation of your kind effort.However , if you dont like coffee,I'll be happy to exchange it for a can of Redbull.hehehe)

Start practising your Jazz,Edwin....[+:o)]

« Reply #56 on: December 18, 2007, 04:06:23 pm »
duh, i don't play jazz at all!!! for jazz, just get a pianist lah!

bands are for loud, tuneless, rock music ;-) i assure you, after you hear our screaming vocals, the screaming kids will seem very much at home!

if you are going to get kids below 8, then you must borrow our maxi games - bamboleo, chicken cha cha cha and villa paletti. these will keep them busy.

alternatively, give them a few boxes of tomy train tracks (the blue plastic ones) and they'll be fixing tracks all night and watching their battery powered trains zoom by...

« Reply #57 on: December 18, 2007, 04:52:08 pm »

Thanks CE.

[quote user="Champion Eternal"]
1. I am still not sure about the objectives of the gathering. OK you have established that one of the objectives was to introduce more people to gaming. This was achieved. Were there other objectives.e.g. sales of games to these friends?
[/quote]

The introduction was the basic thing we want to achieve. That'll stir interests they never knew they had. We know the next question interested newbies will ask is "Where can I get one?" (Following questions will be "Is it expensive?", "Will someone who knows teach me"... bla,bla, bla. Weren't we newbies once?) 

That's where the feedback form comes in handy. We'll work on quiding them to the nearest game shop.

2. In your report, you said 'Some found the food was too pricey.' Er... did the people who turn up have to pay for the food?
[/quote]

Yes, if they wanna eat. No, they dont have to eat (pay) if they dont want to.

3. Is this a prelude to starting a games cafe, since you mentioned 'sales' and 'food cost'?[:)]
[/quote]

That is one question that we ourselves are still pondering. But that is a darn nice idea- to have another games cafe. You sounded pretty >ahem!< interested, hmmm?

[quote user="macedwin"]

2. let me know when you plan to have your next do. i will be happy to sponsor prizes, door gifts, etc! like i said, anyone who can pull in >20 people to try games deserves to be supported!

[/quote]

That's very encouraging! Thanks. Getting them would not have been possible if not for c_mun. She's the ultimate Fun & Happening Mom.

[quote user="macedwin"]

3. just to clarify, who paid for the food? and do all attendees have to pay any cover?

[/quote]

Four of us did (Including Kopikid for his coffee beans). No, not at all. They just have to be there!

Offline c mun

« Reply #58 on: December 18, 2007, 05:50:01 pm »

[quote user="macedwin"]duh, i don't play jazz at all!!! for jazz, just get a pianist lah! bands are for loud, tuneless, rock music ;-) i assure you, after you hear our screaming vocals, the screaming kids will seem very much at home! if you are going to get kids below 8, then you must borrow our maxi games - bamboleo, chicken cha cha cha and villa paletti. these will keep them busy. alternatively, give them a few boxes of tomy train tracks (the blue plastic ones) and they'll be fixing tracks all night and watching their battery powered trains zoom by...[/quote]

Yes,we have just all the perfect games for  the under 6 gamers that night- Hiss ; Fowl Play, Wallace & Gromit boardgame.Of Battery trains-When kids are exhausted and frustrated ,they bash each other's head with Tomy trains and wish they can tie that annoying 2 year old to the tracks and run him over with extra large engines! My mistake of forgetting the Play Dough ( they'll enjoy feeding the baby that)

Pianist ? Only? Surely you must be joking Edwin.My quartlet will do Stacey Kent's " So Nice ".Nothing less than that to content my Warhamming gentlemen .Shrapnel, change your guitar strings.Take mine if you need 2.David at the piano,Ernest the bass, John whatever he fancys to play .

Offline c mun

« Reply #59 on: December 18, 2007, 06:09:01 pm »
[quote user="shrapnel"]

Thanks CE.

[/quote]

The introduction was the basic thing we want to achieve. That'll stir interests they never knew they had. We know the next question interested newbies will ask is "Where can I get one?" (Following questions will be "Is it expensive?", "Will someone who knows teach me"... bla,bla, bla. Weren't we newbies once?) 

That's where the feedback form comes in handy. We'll work on quiding them to the nearest game shop.

[/quote]

Yes, if they wanna eat. No, they dont have to eat (pay) if they dont want to.

[/quote]

That is one question that we ourselves are still pondering. But that is a darn nice idea- to have another games cafe. You sounded pretty >ahem!< interested, hmmm?

[quote user="macedwin"]

[/quote]

That's very encouraging! Thanks. Getting them would not have been possible if not for c_mun. She's the ultimate Fun & Happening Mom.

[quote user="macedwin"]

[/quote]

Four of us did (Including Kopikid for his coffee beans). No, not at all. They just have to be there!

[/quote]

Clarification on Payment of food :

The sale of food was to cover all cost ,not a free party.That explains the 'pricey food' in an air conditioned place served on fine dinnerware.I'm sure you enjoyed the Love At First Bite with all that chocolate melting in your mouth, the flavourful Kampung Egg Tart, yummy scones, Winter Romance Pasta and Nasi Lemak that sends sweet memories lingering in your dreams.And how can you have forgotten our delicous Hot Macchiato or Relaxing Camomile Tea with Honey?