Msia Catan Championship 2006

• 26 Replies

Offline jack208

• BGC Webstore
  • BGG ID: jack208
  • Gaming Grp: OTK Cheras
« on: February 10, 2006, 11:48:07 am »

Since many asked me when we are doing our own, here's some info I gleaned from da Man. We will be sending 2 reps to Essen 2006 as well and since there's one qualifier already coming from the Gamecon competition, there'll be one more place to fight over.

Edw says there'll be 2 more qualifying rounds tentatively in April and July. Stay tuned here.... you'll be the 1st to know once the qualifying dates have been confirmed.

And may you be the one representing us in Essen 2006. Cheers!

For those who are really really keen (read: desperate) to participate, send me an email at jack208@boardgamecafe.net and I'll personally drop you an invite mail when the qualifying rounds are announced. [:)]

Become a BGC Insider. Be among the first to hear of our new arrivals, special offers and promo events. Sign-up for our newsletter here http://eepurl.com/dbrcz5

Browse over 1,000 in-stock titles, order online and have your order delivered direct to your doorstep (free delivery for orders above RM150 to West Msia)

Offline Champion Eternal

• <B>JEDI MASTER</B>
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2006, 04:41:37 pm »

Yup - see Edwin's postings on The Wargames Portal here:

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/TheWargamesPortal/

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/TheWargamesPortal/message/10508

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/TheWargamesPortal/message/10513

Feel free to join The Wargames Portal - The Asia Pacific Games Group (Established 2001).

All members are gamers, and most of the current GC boardgamers (we who game at the far end of the shop) in some way or other are from TWP. Feel free to join and chip in both TWP and Boardgames Cafe to promote Asia Pacific gaming. 

Offline jack208

• BGC Webstore
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2006, 02:24:54 pm »

DETAILS OF MALAYSIA CATAN COMPETITION ANNOUNCED

Malaysia for Settlers of Catan World Championship Finals
FORGET the Olympics! Here’s your chance to represent Malaysia in this year’s Settlers of Catan World Championship which will be held from Oct 19-22 in Essen, Germany.

Despite being introduced to designer games just over a year ago, Malaysia has been given two seats in this year’s Championship, a great honour indeed, as we get to rub shoulders with the established designer gaming countries, and challenge for the prestigious title!

So here’s your chance to be one of the two gamesters representing Malaysia at this championship. Both gamesters will receive: 

• Return airfare (economy) to Essen, Germany 

• Accommodation for two nights

• Entry to Spiel ‘06 (largest designer games convention in the world) for four days

Prizes are co-sponsored by PanGlobal Insurance, as part of its designer gaming community, and the German organisers, Spielezentrum Herne.

There will be two qualifying tournaments to decide the winners.

Settlers of Catan: Games Circle Qualifiers
Date: April-June
Venue: Game Circle, No. 8B, SS22/25, Damansara Jaya, PJ.

Settlers of Catan: PanGlobal Club Qualifiers
Date: April-June
Venue: PanGlobal Club, Jln Tandang, PJ.

Don’t miss this golden opportunity. Sign up now.

Become a BGC Insider. Be among the first to hear of our new arrivals, special offers and promo events. Sign-up for our newsletter here http://eepurl.com/dbrcz5

Browse over 1,000 in-stock titles, order online and have your order delivered direct to your doorstep (free delivery for orders above RM150 to West Msia)

Offline jack208

• BGC Webstore
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2006, 08:31:20 pm »

This shall be the thread to track all issues/dates/news about the upcoming Settlers of Catan Qualifiers for Malaysia 2006 where 2 winners shall enjoy an all-expense paid trip to Essen, Germany in Oct 2006 to represent M'sia in the International Catan Championship.

The qualifying rounds itself shall be spread out over 6 locations, namely:

• Gamecon1 - already have 2 qualifiers from last year's competition

• Games Circle (Damansara)

• Panglobal Club (PJ)

• Boardgamecafe.net (Cheras/KL)

• Starbucks (various)

• Toybox (Paramount)

• Comics Corner (various)

Each venue shall set their own qualifying schedule but the Finals shall be held in a public venue end of July (tba). Basically there'll be a total of 16 finalists from the venues above. These 16 shall meet in a three-round knock-out Finals to determine the top 2 players.

Offline jack208

• BGC Webstore
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2006, 09:25:09 am »

You can now win an all expenses paid trip to Essen, Germany, this October (19-22), to represent Malaysia in the International Settlers of Catan Finals!

Settlers of Catan, designed by Klaus Teuber in 1995, is the world’s most popular designer game, and multi award winner, where players win by becoming the dominant force on the island of Catan by building settlements, cities, and roads, through trading and resource management. It has an amazing appeal to non-gamers and gamers alike, and has been extensively used by educators in classroom to teach:
• Laws of probability.
• Basic economic principles of demand & supply.
• Resource management.
• Negotiation & trading.

With 6 weeks to get familiar with this game, customers have more than enough time to get ready for the Starbucks Settlers Malaysian Qualifiers, which will be held as follows:

• 8th July Starbucks Bangsar Village (1st Qualifiers: 2 seats).

• 15th July Starbucks 1 Utama phase 1 (2nd Qualifiers: 2 seats).

Details for the qualifiers in the other locations shall be announced soon. Subscribe to this thread to be kept updated.

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2006, 12:36:56 pm »
is there an entry fee?
or it's free :)

Offline jack208

• BGC Webstore
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2006, 09:36:49 am »

Settlers of Catan Qualifiers... YOU COULD BE THE ONE

Here it is - confirmed dates/times/venues for all Settlers qualifiers!

Be sure not to miss this golden opportunity to be one of 2 players to represent Malaysia (yes, you even get to bring the Malaysian flag!) in the International Finals from 19-22 October, 2006, in Essen, Germany!

Remember, you don’t just get to participate, you also get to enjoy the world’s #1 designer game convention - Spiel06’! Imagine, 4 days of gaming in a convention center 12 times the size of GAMECON-1!

Participation is absolutely free, and you are encouraged to participate in every qualifier!

1) Games Circle, Damansara Jaya (4 seats) - Saturday, 10 June. 230pm onwards.
     Register by Friday, 9 June (1000pm). Contact: Richard 016-451 0940.
     KL Meetup Event: http://boardgames.meetup.com/310/events/4960876/

2) Toybox, Paramount Gardens (2 seats) - Saturday, 24 June. 230pm onwards.
     Register by Friday, 23 June (900pm). Contact: Toybox 012-267 5003.
     KL Meetup Event: http://boardgames.meetup.com/310/events/4960889/

3) Boardgamecafe.net, Cheras (2 seats) - Saturday, 1 July. 230pm onwards.
     Register by Friday, 30 June (900pm). Contact: Jeff 012-217 6828.

4) Starbucks I, Bangsar Village (2 seats) - Saturday, 8 July. 200pm onwards.
     Register on Saturday, 8 July (100pm). Contact: Raymond 012-383 6092.

5) Starbucks II, 1Utama Old Wing (2 seats) - Saturday, 15 July. 200pm onwards.
     Register on Saturday, 15 July (100pm). Contact: Raymond 012-383 6092.

6) PanGlobal Club, PJ (2 seats) - Saturday, 22 July. 200pm onwards.
     Register by Friday, 21 July (600pm). Contact: Raymond 012-383 6092.

2 seats in the finals already taken by GAMECON-1 winner (Yong Siew Mee) & runner-up (Michelle Foong).

7) MALAYSIAN FINALS, venue tba (16 seats) - Saturday, 29 July. 200pm onwards.

Well, what are you waiting for??? Sign-up NOW!

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2006, 10:04:42 am »

Hmmm... don't you mean starbucks 1 utama new wing? the one where they had the press preview or whatever thingy the other day?

anyway, i don't remember any starbucks in the old wing... or is the thought of possibly being crown Lord of Catan of the World playing tricks with my memory?

Offline jack208

• BGC Webstore
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2006, 10:11:51 am »
[quote user="DHEK"]

Hmmm... don't you mean starbucks 1 utama new wing? the one where they had the press preview or whatever thingy the other day?

anyway, i don't remember any starbucks in the old wing... or is the thought of possibly being crown Lord of Catan of the World playing tricks with my memory?

[/quote]

No, we mean Starbucks Damansara Perdana! [:O]

Now your brain is completely screwed, kekeke....... and you'll be unable to walk in for the competition <evil smirk>. Another one bites the dust......

Seriously, it'll be in the Old Wing of 1 Utama. Yes we did the launch of Starbucks Gaming Cafe at the New Wing but the competition will be held in the Old Wing. There is one Starbucks there. [:)]

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2006, 11:41:31 pm »

Oh yeah. I'm retarded... after much thinking (okay I also cheated by looking at the 1utama website) I realised that there IS a Starbucks in the old wing (as well as at the new wing). In fact, I must have walked near the outlet like a gazillion times before!

For those who are still wondering where the heck is the Starbucks at the old wing, it is on the ground floor, very near the Jusco supermarket - next to Delifrance I think.

OK, I'm off to practise feverishly for the qualifiers. I'm gonna win one of the 2 spots to represent Malaysia! I must! It's my life's goal!