Gamecon-2 - What would you like to see?

• 40 Replies

Offline jack208

• BGC Webstore
  • BGG ID: jack208
  • Gaming Grp: OTK Cheras
« on: February 10, 2006, 11:51:55 am »

Ok time to make wishes.... and may Santa Edw makes them come true for you.

Tell us what you would like to see in Gamecon-2, what items from Gamecon-1 you like to remain, and new items to add for Gamecon-2.

More competitions?
More game demos?
Longer days?
More prize money? [:p]

Become a BGC Insider. Be among the first to hear of our new arrivals, special offers and promo events. Sign-up for our newsletter here http://eepurl.com/dbrcz5

Browse over 1,000 in-stock titles, order online and have your order delivered direct to your doorstep (free delivery for orders above RM150 to West Msia)

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2006, 06:49:18 am »

More competitions? - Would be good for the general populace, but for us poor demonstrators and staff it would just mean more things we cannot join in :-(

More game demos? - Always a good idea........ Dark Age will be there again with an even more kick-butt booth than last year!!

Longer days? - You must be kidding!!! 2 days, 12 straight hours of running demos each day, exhausted me last year..... no more than this amount, please *pleading puppy dog eyes*

More prize money? - There's gonna be money this time? *big cheezy grin*

Other ideas:

Make the painting competition more apparent to the whole of the Malaysian Gaming community, rather than being limited to GC patrons. When the winners were announced, I heard calls of "Yeah, GC wins again!!"....... not surprising when only GC patrons knew about it!!!

Posters and info kits should be sent to schools, colleges and universities prior to the event.

More attractive sales area, rather than just having boxes on tables, maybe have banners, larger signs etc?

The hall should be ready early the night before the event, so that the demonstrators etc can get their stuff set up, rather than having to rush everything on the first morning.

The 'semi-regular' meeting we had at PGI were a very good idea, hopefully this will continue this year.

To be honest, I think that the volunteers for this event should be given a bit more than just a free t-shirt and entry. The amount of work we all put in last year was huge. It doesn't have to be much, just some form of token of appreciation for the work we all did. Lunch vouchers would be a good idea.

Lastly, any chance of prizes for the best demonstrators of the event? This would push everyone to make their booths and games that little bit more special this time?

Offline rhyen

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2006, 12:15:08 pm »
Lower entry fee? (especially for newcomers and casual gamers)

More competitions, but schedule them so that hardcore gamers can attend all of them.
Alternatively, crown a boardgames champion/Gamesmaster according to the player(s) who does best in all the competitions attended.

A lot of the tables were underutilised in GAMECON-1, could have open up more demo tables there to the public.

How many helpers do you guys need to demo the games this time around (remember that some helpers may also be playing in the competition as well, so need to rotate the shift nicely)

Don't mind more days, if we can fit in more meaningful events and theme the different days.
Day1: Intro & practice
Day2: Amateur & semi-finals competition
Day3: Grand Final(e)s

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2006, 06:12:32 am »

Wasn't involved in the planning stage last year but my suggestions:

1. Earlier planning with all the people involved from board games to miniatures to TCGs

2. Asking for exhibition materials especially from the international brands. I think the hall last year looked too much like...an exhibition hall..there wasn't a genuine Gamecon feel..

3. Bias abit to the game I am in, bigger and more prominent space for VS System? Last year they had a 10,000USD tournament and they were stuck in a small dingy corner near the fire exit. I mean if they are holding their biggest tournament in Malaysia in a Gamecon, we can probably work out a better thing for them :P

4. I think more needs to be done on the TCG side, other than tournies, demos were needed and less known TCGs should start making inroads at the Gamecon to garner interest.

Thats about it. Hopefull, I will be able to help out this time around.

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2006, 01:39:47 pm »
Puerto Rico tournament. With Chua as leading participant! [:D]

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2006, 01:44:17 pm »
Motorshow girls!!!! Yeah!

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2006, 02:55:37 pm »

[quote user="LoStBoYz"]Motorshow girls!!!! Yeah!
[/quote]

Hell Yeah!!!!

Dress them up like:

Fianna (Rackham)

or

Sisters of Compassion or Clergy Ann (Dark Age)

or

Generic Anime laydees *grin*

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2006, 03:22:35 pm »

I support Motorshow Girls!!

No weird ppl in cosplay pls :P

Offline ayheng

• JEDI MASTER
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2006, 04:52:06 am »

[quote user="aanemesis"]Puerto Rico tournament.  [:D][/quote]

Seconded! With Imaginegames credit points as prizes!

Oh, and more party games. Those might sell more to the family crowd.

Offline jack208

• BGC Webstore
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2006, 09:33:48 am »

[quote user="LoStBoYz"]Motorshow girls!!!! Yeah!
[/quote]

Ainul, more nosebleed time!

But some of the gamers here get quite regular "practice session" at KL Sentral. [:P]

Become a BGC Insider. Be among the first to hear of our new arrivals, special offers and promo events. Sign-up for our newsletter here http://eepurl.com/dbrcz5

Browse over 1,000 in-stock titles, order online and have your order delivered direct to your doorstep (free delivery for orders above RM150 to West Msia)

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2006, 08:48:11 am »

I'd like to see someone pull off having a booth babe dressed like in the 2nd pic, eh Jeff? Beats the KL Sentral crowd hands down.

Offline jack208

• BGC Webstore
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2006, 08:57:36 am »
Eh, Edw. FYI, my office just opposite Zouk! You want some help with ahem auditioning the Gamecon Babes?

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2006, 10:23:21 am »

Hmmm, I rather have the girl in pic 1. The Pic 2 girl looks a bit weird...

Hey! Auditions! I am in! :P

Offline ayheng

• JEDI MASTER
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2006, 07:01:33 am »

Hey, we can also take a leaf out of Mayfair's strategy and award newbies ribbons for playing various gateway games. At the collection of 5 or more ribbons, the newbies can be entered into a draw to win a gateway game! This will help to promote boardgames and give newbies an incentive to try out as many games as possible...

Better yet, invite Mayfair to conduct the Knights of Catan ribbon promotion in Gamecon itself!

« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2006, 07:15:49 pm »
Actually, to make Gamecon-2 a bigger success, Pan Global will need all the help from all the hobby stores around. Its time for the drawing board and with all the stores input, it will be big!

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2006, 05:49:30 am »

[quote user="nicklwc"]Actually, to make Gamecon-2 a bigger success, Pan Global will need all the help from all the hobby stores around. Its time for the drawing board and with all the stores input, it will be big![/quote]

Hmmmmmmm *rubs chin*

LOL [;)]

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2006, 06:16:53 am »

Yeah...ALL :P

Let me see how many there are:

1. Comics Corner

2. Games Circle

3. Settler's Cafe

4. Toybox

5. Wolf's Game Shop

6. Boardgamecafe

7. 3rd Dimension - time for some Northern flava :P

It will be great to get some help from that Ipoh gang as well...