Hello Guest

Gamecon-2 - What would you like to see?

• 40 Replies
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2006, 01:33:34 pm »
Just food for thought....
- What is Pan Global getting out of this? Brand recognition is one....
- How much was the investment last year. How much did they recoup back?
- Are the above 'players' going to contribute $$$$ to help themselves? Or are they just jumping on the piggy back for a "partially" free ride?
- August is nearly ending now..... Gen-Con 2 is coming when? December? Thats like 3+ months to the event. Event this big don't need preparation one ah?

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2006, 02:06:06 pm »

Pan Global for one...branding presence...it really depends if they want to come in as the organizer or the sponsor..

If its just as sponsor, then they will need an organizer, and what better organizers but the shops themselves?

As for the fees, it really depends, if PG is organising it, will the retailers be willing to pay? It all depends really...speaking on Toybox behalf, it will definitely be a matter of how much it is coz shops like us don't earn big bucks...

As for preparation, that is why I said it is time now to get to the drawing boards. I am willing to offer my time and my brain (not much left) to plan the event. Edwin, time to call me? hahahahha :P

« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2006, 03:26:02 pm »
Before anyone gets carried away, here are some facts from GAMECON-1:

- It cost PGi more than Rm100k to host it. MVEC hall for 2 days, airfare for Tom, accommodation for whole Spore Boardgames meet-up volunteers, prizes, set-up/take-down of all tables, chairs, sign boards, stage, sound equipment, etc.

- None of the exhibitors were charged, but only official distributors were invited (CC, GC).

- There was some recovery through entry ticket fees.

- Sad to say many gamers who attended/asking us to host GAMECON-2 not even bothered to switch their car insurance to PGi (something Raymond is pushing hard to get all your gamers to be PGi customers).

GAMECON-2:

- Will not have even a fraction of last year's budget as GAMECON-1 failed to get gamers to becomes PGI customers.

- Lowest cost venue identified is SC.

- At the moment we are still at drawing board as they told us they have no avaiiability when we want it (Nov), and earliest date they have is Feb 2007.

- We are waiting to see if anyone cancels.

- Meanwhile, we are looking for other sponsors.

- We will not be able to afford to host Singaporeans so we need 100% Malaysian volunteers.

Sounds bleak? Doesn't have to be. Call Raymond (012-3836092) now to switch your car insurance to PGI! Better still, give him the contact of your gamers so he can switch for them!

« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2006, 06:33:46 pm »
MVEC is an expensive venue.....

PGi has been doing the boardgame industry a big favor by doing so much and not getting much in return. I was actually quite surprise that GenCon-2 was mentioned in the same breath as GenCon-1.
That is why my post here is mostly in-jest as I don't expect GenCon-2 to be as big.

I volunteered my time because I knew PGi aim was to promote boardgame to the masses. The surge of boardgame players recently is largely due the GenCon and PGi promotions, I believe.

If the aim of the "players" is to promote boardgames and take measures that its going to be just that, I'll volunteer again. But if its going to be a shameless plug to sell their products, then go hire someone else for the job.

Ed, what/where is SC?

« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2006, 02:18:51 am »
gamecon-2 : i would like to see it being held in dec
so that me and jon can attend
=p

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2006, 06:19:14 am »

I agree MVEC is expensive and wow..RM100k...thats alot of investment to be recouped...

Edw, car insurance belum expire lah..how to change..haha but we got ONE! member to switch :P

Once again, I'll say it takes a collective effort from everyone to make it work. PGi has done its part, now its time for the retailers to do their part. I've got some ideas, maybe I should discuss this with Edwin.

SC is near Sri Hartamas...near that Science Centre thingy...

« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2006, 10:55:05 am »

Sorry to hear about those facts about GAMECON and the lack of custom regarding insurance. I'm sure we all REALLY appreciate everything that PGI and Edwin put into the event.

I thoroughly enjoyed myself last time. A lot of effort, work and time went into the event and into our booth. Of course, our aim was to increase awareness of gaming, in particular Dark Age, and in that endeavour we were very successful with many, many positive comments and visitors. Don't forget that the event was NOT just about boardgames, but about CCGs, RPGs and Miniature gaming as well.

In terms of increasing revenue from the event and recovery of costs, maybe more forceful marketing of the insurance side would be necessary for GAMECON-2? To be honest, I think most visitors had 'tunnel-vision' and were only focused on the games rather than the insurance details. The business side of the event must be made more apparent and attractive in my humble opinion. People did not come to the event to buy insurance, they came to play games, so you must be able to grab them once they are in the door. This is one area I feel was a bit lacking last time. Maybe advertise it as a Games/Insurance event rather than just Games a bit more?

Another thing would be to improve the game sales aspect of the event. Just having the tables outside wasn't really enough to grab visitors attention enough. I think with the current awareness of gaming there needs to be much more in terms of banners, posters at the sales area itself, maybe with sales personnel ready to lead potential customers to the demo tables for the games they show interest in?

More variety and content would also be good on the sales side.

Not trying to flame or point fingers, just trying to give opinions that hopefully will help future events. [:D]

What is this SC place you mention?

« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2006, 02:23:33 pm »

If you are heading towards Sri Hartamas using the Kerinchi link, look to your right hand side. You should see a huge building near the Science Centre. Thats the Securities Commission building.

I think PGI needs all the help it can get in terms of layout design, decoration and generally creating the look and feel of a Gamecon. Maybe if we start early, and start emailing the major players to send over some promo materials like banners, posters etc

« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2006, 02:54:31 pm »

We had a number of meetings at PGI last time, going over the content, presentation and layout of the event, which was a good idea as we managed to do a lot of brainstorming (hopefully helping Edwin and his crew) and also managed to meet other guys in the community. Hopefully this will happen again.

I don't think the gaming side was the problem (except that this time I would prefer a better location for the Dark Age booth *grin*), but more in terms of getting visitors to appreciate the secondary function of the event - that of increasing PGI business. But this would be an internal issue for Edwin.

The selling aspect wrt games could also be improved IMHO.

« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2006, 08:39:04 pm »

I think we need more demos for TCG and miniatures. I think the boardgames demo were already on a pretty huge scale.

Well, hopefully this year, even with a smaller budget, we can still make it better than last year...its not always about the money, its about the effort :)

Slash the budge by half, double the effort and we still achieve the same results :D

Offline ayheng

• JEDI MASTER
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2006, 06:55:46 pm »

I thought MVEC has too much space for Gamecon-1. The place was filled up with miniatures but not enough people. I think a smaller venue wouldn't do Gamecon harm, but the decreased foot traffic from potential curious shoppers might be critical.

I'm glad that Panglobal has chosen to support boardgames and am sad to hear that the returns are not as good. I think people still need to adjust to the idea that insurances can give you benefits in other ways rather than the old 'help you renew insurances' benefits. Keep at it, I guess, the marketing of Panglobal insurance as a 'hip' and 'exciting' product will bear fruit soon, especially with the consistent projection of an insurance company that 'rocks'.

« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2006, 08:08:50 pm »
i wanna help out too!
all i want in return is a gamecon t-shirt
=p
haha

i have two of these and they are comfortable to wear to sleep

« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2006, 04:27:06 pm »

A BUSEN MEMO DEMO BOOTH!! I can help out and do the demos, but I need some pretty girls with different size cups.... Can PanGlobal sponsor some girls ah?? :p

And I want an 18xx demo booth too. Preferably next to the Busen Memo booth so that I can play in between breaks...

« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2006, 04:36:09 pm »
Cornholio? Boardwhore? Dat you mon?

« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2006, 04:45:15 pm »
Yup. It's me, man. And I think I'm addicted to 18xx games. Last night, after my first game of 1889, I dreamt of Japan railroads.... 8)

Offline jack208

• BGC Webstore
  • BGG ID: jack208
  • Gaming Grp: OTK Cheras
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2006, 05:27:36 pm »

[quote user="friedricetheman"]Yup. It's me, man. And I think I'm addicted to 18xx games. Last night, after my first game of 1889, I dreamt of Japan railroads.... 8)[/quote]

That's nothing man.... u shud ask what aanemesis dreamt of after playing Busen Memo wha-hahahaha.....

Become a BGC Insider. Be among the first to hear of our new arrivals, special offers and promo events. Sign-up for our newsletter here http://eepurl.com/dbrcz5

Browse over 1,000 in-stock titles, order online and have your order delivered direct to your doorstep (free delivery for orders above RM150 to West Msia)

« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2006, 07:16:15 pm »

I just thought of something. Why not for Gamecon 2 we get a bunch of hot girls to man the ticketing booth. And we get some girls to demo 1856 and Power Grid.... Then probably we could attract more people to Gamecon and in the process making money off Gamecon. Its a sure fire way to attract more people to gaming....

Clothes is optional at the convention, especially for the girls.. The more clothes you leave behind, the cheaper your entrance fee is. :p

Offline jack208

• BGC Webstore
  • BGG ID: jack208
  • Gaming Grp: OTK Cheras
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2006, 06:36:32 am »

Conan, looks like we got another "member" for the NoseBleed gang! [6]

Become a BGC Insider. Be among the first to hear of our new arrivals, special offers and promo events. Sign-up for our newsletter here http://eepurl.com/dbrcz5

Browse over 1,000 in-stock titles, order online and have your order delivered direct to your doorstep (free delivery for orders above RM150 to West Msia)