Hello Guest

Aug31 2006: Toybox Teaches Board Games This Merdeka Day!

• 49 Replies
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2006, 06:15:30 am »
Count me in! I haven't played these railroad games before except for TTR but they look like fun.

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2006, 08:17:50 am »
Only REAL railroad games (I mean with a RAILROAD theme) is Rail Road Tycoon and 18xx series games. Rest is just Eurogames with pasted on railroad theme which amounts to nothing, eg Age of Steam. But that doesn't mean those games are not fun to play, it just depends on what you want from the game.

If you got lots of time to kill go for the grand daddy of railroad games, 18xx. This game plays like those PC railroad simulation games and it last for 6 hours or so.

If time is an issue, play AoS. It doesn't have the rich railroad theme, but the game mechanics is awesome that a good player will trash a newbie almost all of the time. Eg. There is almost no luck here, just skills.

Personally I'm not that keen on RRT, since it falls between the 2 giants, 18xx and AoS. The middle-child syndrome. But the quality of the components will make you feel like a little kid looking at all the eye candies and its always fun to play with beautiful bits.

So HAVE FUN with the railroad games!! Just remember that all the 3 games plays very differently so just dive in with an open mind and enjoy it to the fullest. :)

Offline jack208

• BGC Webstore
  • BGG ID: jack208
  • Gaming Grp: OTK Cheras
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2006, 08:19:54 am »

1. Jeff Au

2. Nick Leong

3. Chris Yap

4. Christopher (CLYX)

5. Ricky Lim

6. Nicolas Booi

7. Daniel Tan

8. Henry Yeo

9. Heng AY

10. Irsal

11. ...

12. ...

Two more and the tables shall be closed!

Become a BGC Insider. Be among the first to hear of our new arrivals, special offers and promo events. Sign-up for our newsletter here http://eepurl.com/dbrcz5

Browse over 1,000 in-stock titles, order online and have your order delivered direct to your doorstep (free delivery for orders above RM150 to West Msia)

Offline ayheng

• JEDI MASTER
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2006, 09:30:38 pm »
[quote user="jack208"]

[quote user="ayheng"]count me in! Just put me in the newbies table[/quote]

LOL, u still qualify to be in newbies table mer? Or are you trying to bully newbies? Or maybe you wanna go there coz those tables have pretty gals? [+o(]

Why our tables not good mer? Got many macho guys there mar LOL

[/quote]

I meant to say AOS newbies table, not total newbies table. :P Dun lar like that accuse me of being a bully, I very nice guy one.

Offline ayheng

• JEDI MASTER
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2006, 09:34:49 pm »

[quote user="LoStBoYz"]Only REAL railroad games (I mean with a RAILROAD theme) is Rail Road Tycoon and 18xx series games. Rest is just Eurogames with pasted on railroad theme which amounts to nothing, eg Age of Steam. But that doesn't mean those games are not fun to play, it just depends on what you want from the game.

If you got lots of time to kill go for the grand daddy of railroad games, 18xx. This game plays like those PC railroad simulation games and it last for 6 hours or so.

If time is an issue, play AoS. It doesn't have the rich railroad theme, but the game mechanics is awesome that a good player will trash a newbie almost all of the time. Eg. There is almost no luck here, just skills.

Personally I'm not that keen on RRT, since it falls between the 2 giants, 18xx and AoS. The middle-child syndrome. But the quality of the components will make you feel like a little kid looking at all the eye candies and its always fun to play with beautiful bits.

So HAVE FUN with the railroad games!! Just remember that all the 3 games plays very differently so just dive in with an open mind and enjoy it to the fullest. :)

[/quote]

Don't forget the recommended step up in Railroad game complexity:

TTR < RRT < AOS < 18XX

I've done TTR, moved up to RRT. Next is AOS... Dunno if will get headache or get moved up to 18XX!

Offline Champion Eternal

• <B>JEDI MASTER</B>
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2006, 06:30:16 am »
[quote user="ayheng"]

step up in Railroad game complexity:

TTR < RRT < AOS < 18XX

I've done TTR, moved up to RRT. Next is AOS... Dunno if will get headache or get moved up to 18XX!

[/quote]

Don't forget the 'crayon rails' system like Empire Builder, Eurorails and Iron Dragon to name a few. These probably lie between RRT and AoS in complexity.

Also the Rail Baron and Mechants of Venus 'Monopoly railroad' system. So, ayheng, your progression list of railroad games probably would look like this:

TTR<RB<EB<AoS<18XX

Offline jack208

• BGC Webstore
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2006, 09:06:08 am »
[quote user="Champion Eternal"]Also the Rail Baron and Mechants of Venus 'Monopoly railroad' system. So, ayheng, your progression list of railroad games probably would look like this:

TTR<RB<EB<AoS<18XX

[/quote]

yeah, I've Rail Baron too. One of the early games I bought! Back then it was supposedly THE railroad game of the times.

It's actually quite fun. esp in the beginning when you bid to acquire the railroad companies and go for your deliveries. However it petters out towards the end as the endgame can get draggy and a bit too long.

You omitted RRT here lar.. I would think it sits around EB rite?

TTR<RB<EB<AoS<18XX

Become a BGC Insider. Be among the first to hear of our new arrivals, special offers and promo events. Sign-up for our newsletter here http://eepurl.com/dbrcz5

Browse over 1,000 in-stock titles, order online and have your order delivered direct to your doorstep (free delivery for orders above RM150 to West Msia)

Offline Champion Eternal

• <B>JEDI MASTER</B>
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2006, 01:49:32 pm »

Oh - yes RRT is somewhere near EB.

As for Merdeka Day, I am probably OK to play 1856 or AoS. Will confirm later.

Offline jack208

• BGC Webstore
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2006, 02:17:27 am »

Good to hear this Chua. If you can confirm you are coming (hope to hear from you on this soon), then we can surely do two tables of AOS followed by two tables of 1856 (as I presume your 1856 would have arrived by then).

So beep me as soon as you can confirm and it's game on for the Age of Railroads on Merdeka Day!

1. Jeff Au

2. Nick Leong

3. Chris Yap

4. Christopher (CLYX)

5. Ricky Lim

6. Nicolas Booi

7. Daniel Tan

8. Henry Yeo

9. Heng AY

10. Irsal

11. Chua

12. ...

Offline Champion Eternal

• <B>JEDI MASTER</B>
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2006, 03:51:26 pm »
Dude-I said maybe. Cannot confirm yet.