Hello Guest

Angkor Wat retreat?

• 85 Replies
Angkor Wat retreat?
« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2008, 08:16:14 am »

i went to Angkor during march. was really nice. Try get a flight straight to Siem Reap. Theres nothing much in Phonm Pehn except the killing fields and the genocide museum, but its worth a look if u have time.

If you truly want to see the temples take a 2/3 day pass and so u can take ure time at all the temples. There are alooot of temples. Go to Angkor during sunrise... its amazing.

And be prepared, Siem Reap is a very hooottt and dusty place.

PS: dont give money to the kids no matter how sad they look.

Offline ayheng

• JEDI MASTER
Angkor Wat retreat?
« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2008, 10:28:24 am »
Thanks for the heads up. Looking forward to go there soon. [:)]

Offline c mun

Angkor Wat retreat?
« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2008, 12:58:15 am »
Jeff, any plans made for this trip yet?

Offline jack208

• BGC Webstore
  • BGG ID: jack208
  • Gaming Grp: OTK Cheras
Angkor Wat retreat?
« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2008, 11:32:13 am »

[quote user="c mun"]Jeff, any plans made for this trip yet?[/quote]

No confirmed plans but we are definitely looking at Nov for the trip. Will advise once we've fixed the dates.

Become a BGC Insider. Be among the first to hear of our new arrivals, special offers and promo events. Sign-up for our newsletter here http://eepurl.com/dbrcz5

Browse over 1,000 in-stock titles, order online and have your order delivered direct to your doorstep (free delivery for orders above RM150 to West Msia)

Offline jack208

• BGC Webstore
Angkor Wat retreat?
« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2008, 06:59:21 am »

MAS is offering tickets KUL-REP (Siem Reap) for RM0!! Well, it's RM496 return once you add in the surcharges, taxes, etc but still a great deal (I think the last time I checked, a return ticket would cost RM900+)

Offer ends 22/6/08 but it's valid for travel till Mar next year. However if you take up this offer, you need to confirm your travel plans now.. which I think may be tough for most of us. Otherwise I wud have snapped up this offer. [:)]

But if anyone of you *can* confirm a Nov Angkor trip and would like to snap up this cheap ticket, beep me.

Become a BGC Insider. Be among the first to hear of our new arrivals, special offers and promo events. Sign-up for our newsletter here http://eepurl.com/dbrcz5

Browse over 1,000 in-stock titles, order online and have your order delivered direct to your doorstep (free delivery for orders above RM150 to West Msia)

Offline c mun

Angkor Wat retreat?
« Reply #45 on: June 17, 2008, 08:09:08 am »

Can confirm me.[thumbsup]

Angkor Wat retreat?
« Reply #46 on: June 17, 2008, 11:48:59 am »
offers sounds good. I think i'll take it (...since A.Jolie has been bugging me to secretly met her there...)

Offline jack208

• BGC Webstore
Angkor Wat retreat?
« Reply #47 on: June 17, 2008, 03:27:49 pm »

Updating this with Angkor visit tips (from Google)

RE: Is it possible travel to the temples from Siem reap by bicycle?
Posted: Mon December 25, 2006 03:36 AM UTC

Yes very possible. There are two circuits you can go around one is 17km the other 25km the road is very flat. You can also cycle out to the Rouluos group and Angkor Krom. I think there are plenty of places renting bicycles, I got one for $5 for three days. for the further out temples and Kbal Spean you will need a moto. I can't remember if I had a lock with my bike or not, probably. In any case the vendors will be happy to mind your bike while you go for a look-see. 

Posted: Mon December 25, 2006 05:36 AM UTC

Bicycle is one way, but there are tons of buildings inclusive in the Ankor Wat complex. i did it by hiring a motor bike. it was cheap, effecient and i was still tired at the end of the day. We took a second day to make it to the far away temples. There is a lot of ground to cover, so i would give a second thought to a motorbike hire. A guide will drive, you just sit on the back. also, these are more like mopeds than motorcycles.

Posted: Mon December 25, 2006 11:51 AM UTC

Hi, Just got back from there on the 21st. Yes it possible for you to visit the temples by bicycle. You can rent a bike from your Hotel, and if you rent a motor-bicycle (not a motorbike) its a bicycle with motor, you can park them at designated spots just outside the temples. They are there for rented bikes to park. As for normal bicycles, dont worry..just park it at the shops outside the temples..and have a drink at the shop later...they would be more than happy to takecare of the bike.

I agree for Bantey Samre,Bantey Seri and Kabal Spean(1000 Lingas) you would need transport....its too far for your to cycle...unless you are the tour de france type.

The weather now is kinda cool even in the afternoon.

Offline jack208

• BGC Webstore
Angkor Wat retreat?
« Reply #48 on: June 17, 2008, 03:38:03 pm »

Posted: Thu December 7, 2006 10:19 PM UTC

Kirby, along with the driver's information that we use and recomend highly (has all the knowledge you're looking for), we also recomend an Aspara show, close to the hotel we stayed at. It was great being able to watch the amazing dancing and they also include a wonderful all you can eat meal.

Posted: Tue December 12, 2006 04:26 PM UTC

Yes, that was the rate (US20/day) when we were there last year. I also tipped him an additional $5.00/day for the two of us as he ran us around all day. You will definetely need a driver. Temples are very far in between. You cannot walk, especially with a 60yo in tow between temples. They look close together on a map but the distances are great.

I agree you do not need a guide, reading and hanging around other guides if they are available (eavesdropping) - which is not ethically correct but, oh well, is sufficient. Your driver, if he's as good as ours, has all the basic knowledge you should need.

Posted: Wed December 13, 2006 07:12 AM UTC

Travelshoe,

Tuk-tuks are a great way to get around, but with 4 people you will need either two tuk-tuks or one taxi. Tuk-tuks are slightly more bumpy, but certainly much more fun. If you are looking for a tuk-tuk, I can recommend the driver we had last week - Sokhom (miek_sokhom@yahoo.com, +855 12 83 1817). Sokhom speaks good English, and was very reliable. He will accomodate your wishes and we were very pleased with his service.

Posted: Wed December 13, 2006 09:58 AM UTC

Hi there,

I have to agree with the rest of the folks here that taking hiring a driver and car is the best way to go. Since you're travelling with ladies, I would definitely recommend a nice 4wd or the very least, a Toyota Camry . Well, at least that's what I did with my diva friends. We paid USD20 a day. We didn't want a tuk tuk, we reckon that with the poor roads and terrible tuk tuk suspension would drive us nuts.

I don't you'll face any difficulty getting a driver over there. Every hotel/guest house has a recommended list and generally, most drivers have a basic knowledge of the temples and nice places to eat. Just point to note, most places allow the drivers to eat for free ( as part of their commission ) so do a gd deed and ask your driver to recommend those eateries for you.

Btw, there's this great eatery that goes by the name of MOM BAYON. It's very famous and most drivers know where it is. Try the mango shake when you're there.

And apsara dancers, I can't recommend Grand Hotel D'Angkor (owned by the Singapore Raffles Hotel Mgt) enough. The dancers ( from the local orphanage ) are very highly skilled and well trained. During the peak season, the hotel organises a good al fresco buffet and dance performance. The price is a bit on the high side but go for it if you're want to give your mom a treat:) And yes, order the Singapore Sling while you're there, it tastes better there somehow ( take my word for it, I'm Singaporean)

Posted: Wed December 13, 2006 07:46 AM UTC

yes, i advice you to get a driver. you may opt to hire a camri taxi for your day trips. the rate now is from USD20-25 per day. taxi is comfortable especially if you have your mom travelling with you.

the driver that we met is also good and trustworthy. he will suggest a good place for you to visit and were to eat...his name is pov. you may have his contact number here http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/77003/64a/9/  

enjoy your trip to siem reap! 

Offline jack208

• BGC Webstore
Angkor Wat retreat?
« Reply #49 on: June 17, 2008, 03:48:59 pm »

Travel guides with plenty of links
http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/Asia/Cambodia/Khett_Siem_Reab/Angkor_Wat-1202517/TravelGuide-Angkor_Wat.html

RE: What time does it open?
Posted: Thu November 30, 2006 08:41 AM UTC

I'm not sure what time it opens at but you can go out to do sunrise which is quite popular. We were lucky enough to go out for sunrise and have an almost clear sky in November 2005 which meant being picked up at about 5:30 - 5:45am and sunrise was around 6:15am (I think). At that time there are probably a few hundred visitors but it is still the quietest time to go. Using imaginative angles can often help with reducing the number of people in photographs.

Posted: Fri December 1, 2006 04:59 AM UTC

Yes, tons of people show up for sunrise, and expect that crowds will be larger at this time of year. But shortly after sunrise the majority of them leave the complex. So, the rest of the morning is relatively quiet - unless the busloads of Japanese package tourists arrive. Late afternoon is also a busy time.