Hello Guest

GAMECON-1.5 IS ON!!!

• 84 Replies

Offline rhyen

GAMECON-1.5 IS ON!!!
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2007, 04:35:04 pm »
I should be able to volunteer for most morning sessions.

Will PM you once I confirm my shift rotation.

Henry

GAMECON-1.5 IS ON!!!
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2007, 07:52:34 pm »
thanks, thanks!

only 2 more days to volunteer! please help out!

we are looking very thin on friday!!!

GAMECON-1.5 IS ON!!!
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2007, 04:23:06 am »
Can't make Friday (think I told you before) but may be able to pop in for a couple of hours at lunchtime... no Savage Worlds, but just to do a bit of Recon for Sat and Sun!!!

GAMECON-1.5 IS ON!!!
« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2007, 04:49:44 am »

Hi edw and all! As you know, been a bit preoccupied with the arrival of my 4th little meeple. I won't be able to game much or volunteer for the GC 1.5, but wish you all a good time. May it be a success!

Oh, and more suckers players for 18xx! [scarf]

GAMECON-1.5 IS ON!!!
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2007, 05:38:52 pm »
hey, congrats on meeple #4! and thanks for your support...

btw, mrfriedrice, which days/shifts are you confirmed for? ti3, rrt, and you are welcome to show 18xx... need your confirmation asap! tqs.

GAMECON-1.5 IS ON!!!
« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2007, 09:30:21 am »
Thanks to all who voluntered!

To all those who wouldn't - may your precious game boards warp, little meeples/other playing pieces go missing, and cards (laminated or otherwise) be the food of rats...

Due to almost zero resources on Friday shift A (11am - 4pm), we will not be operating. Hence, we will only operate from 4pm on Friday. Saturday/Sunday will be full days (11am - 9pm/8pm).

I will send out a final email brief (late) tonight, after we have completed the set-up this afternoon/evening.

Otherwise, see you there!

Offline rhyen

GAMECON-1.5 IS ON!!!
« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2007, 07:29:11 pm »
[quote user="macedwin"]Thanks to all who voluntered!

To all those who wouldn't - may your precious game boards warp, little meeples/other playing pieces go missing, and cards (laminated or otherwise) be the food of rats...

Due to almost zero resources on Friday shift A (11am - 4pm), we will not be operating. Hence, we will only operate from 4pm on Friday. Saturday/Sunday will be full days (11am - 9pm/8pm).

I will send out a final email brief (late) tonight, after we have completed the set-up this afternoon/evening.

Otherwise, see you there![/quote]

what a shame, just when i confirmed with my boss that my friday morning is off....
[:@] back to morning shift tomorrow...
See you in the afternoon.

GAMECON-1.5 IS ON!!!
« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2007, 09:41:44 pm »
Thanks buddy but other than you and I, noone else is available tomorrow morning!!!

So see you tomorrow 3.00pm!

Here's the final briefing:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear all,

We finished our set-up around 9.00pm tonight and we are ready to roll!

Final details:

----------------

1. The Asia Game Zone 2007 convention runs from Friday to Sunday, 11.00am - 9.00pm (8.00pm on Sunday) BUT we will only be operating from 3.00pm on Friday due to serious shortage of manpower!!!

2. I have 25 confirmed volunteers over the 3 days, short of the 40 we were hoping for. As a result, we do not have enough for 1 volunteer = 1 game. You have therefore been assigned according to area, and we hope that you will be able to cope with 2-3 games under your charge (some of which you will learn for the first time!). I've grouped similar games within each section.

3. I have 40 exhibitor passes. In order to get into the hall free, you need one of these. Please call me when you arrive or get someone to ask for me at the left hand side of the entrance so I can hand you your pass.

4. The convention is on the ground floor, KL Convention Center. Parking is Rm3 for the 1st hour and Rm1 every subsequent 30 minutes. Entries after 7.00pm is Rm7 flat. To enter the car park, drive along the road between MNI twin tower and Mandarin Oriental, pass KL Convention Center and then turn left into Traders Hotel/Convention Center underground car park.

5. If you need to unload your goods, just before you go down into the underground car park, take the left road and go straight and let the guard know you are unloading at Bay #2. This gets you right into the Hall.

6. Heng, please inform Aychee as I don't have his email. Denise, please inform Loo.

7. Registration for Settlers qualifiers will be from Friday to 12.00noon Saturday. Qualifier will start at 12.00 noon.

8. Registration for Carcassonne qualifiers will be from Friday to 12.00noon Sunday. Qualifier will start at 12.00 noon. Carcassonne will be played using the 2-player version.

9. There will not be any other tournament.

10. Please be on time, stay beyond your shift if you can, and have fun!!!

Thanks for your assistance!

ew

Online jack208

• BGC Webstore
  • BGG ID: jack208
  • Gaming Grp: OTK Cheras
GAMECON-1.5 IS ON!!!
« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2007, 09:50:46 pm »

[quote user="macedwin"]Parking is Rm3 for the 1st hour and Rm1 every subsequent 30 minutes. Entries after 7.00pm is Rm7 flat. To enter the car park, drive along the road between MNI twin tower and Mandarin Oriental, pass KL Convention Center and then turn left into Traders Hotel/Convention Center underground car park. [/quote]

Cheaper parkings are available further along Jln Ampang, near Wisma Selangor Dredging. Open space carpack there goes for rm3.50 per entry if before 7pm. After 8pm, they charge rm7 flat and on weekends (Fri-Sun), sometimes it goes as high as rm20 per entry (due to Zouk being just opposite the carpark).

But it's quite a long walk from there to the Convention Centre.

Become a BGC Insider. Be among the first to hear of our new arrivals, special offers and promo events. Sign-up for our newsletter here http://eepurl.com/dbrcz5

Browse over 1,000 in-stock titles, order online and have your order delivered direct to your doorstep (free delivery for orders above RM150 to West Msia)

Offline aycee

GAMECON-1.5 IS ON!!!
« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2007, 06:12:13 am »
Great. So all people have to do when they need to call us is sneeze.

We are sooooo going to take the Putra.

Offline ayheng

• JEDI MASTER
GAMECON-1.5 IS ON!!!
« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2007, 06:59:00 am »

if not mistaken there's cheaper parking near aquaria?

or the other side of KLCC park? (the grass park, i mean)

Online jack208

• BGC Webstore
GAMECON-1.5 IS ON!!!
« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2007, 03:05:44 pm »

Contribute to better traffic and less jam in KL... take the LRT!!! [ohyeah]

TOP 3 REASONS TO TAKE LRT
1. It's fast and predictable - you can determine when you'll arrive
2. Much cheaper than parking anywhere in KLCC
3. Provides free nosebleed.

Become a BGC Insider. Be among the first to hear of our new arrivals, special offers and promo events. Sign-up for our newsletter here http://eepurl.com/dbrcz5

Browse over 1,000 in-stock titles, order online and have your order delivered direct to your doorstep (free delivery for orders above RM150 to West Msia)

Offline dave

GAMECON-1.5 IS ON!!!
« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2007, 07:35:44 pm »
[quote user="jack208"]

[/quote]

Unfortunately, not an option when you're carrying terrain boards, terrain and assorted miniatures...... [:P]

See you guys there!!!

Offline rhyen

GAMECON-1.5 IS ON!!!
« Reply #49 on: June 30, 2007, 06:58:52 pm »
[quote user="jack208"]

[/quote]

after a somewhat pricey parking ticket and long queue at the machine, I might be itching for this....

GAMECON-1.5 IS ON!!!
« Reply #50 on: June 30, 2007, 07:31:54 pm »
Today at GAMECON-1.5 saw the kick off of this year's Settlers qualifiers...

With the minimum 8 players, here were the results:

Group A

-----------

Winner: ME!!!

2nd: Rob.

DNQ: Jien Fei, Alan.

This semi-final had to be re-started as during the mid-game break, some innocent visitor re-set the game thinking it was available for free play!

Group B

----------

Winner: Vincent.

2nd: Henry (sudden death after tie-break).

DNQ: Foo, Paul.

Finals

-------

Winner: Rob.

2nd: Henry (sudden death after tie-break).

DNQ: Edwin, Vincent.

SO CONGRATULATIONS TO ROB AND HENRY AS THE FIRST TWO QUALIFIERS TO THE MALAYSIAN FINALS IN SEPTEMBER!

Thanks also to Ryan and Denise for helping to set-up, and to MRLONG for agreeing to play to make up the minimum qualifying numbers, which was later met by Foo's entry.

Offline rhyen

GAMECON-1.5 IS ON!!!
« Reply #51 on: June 30, 2007, 08:22:15 pm »
Drifting away on cloud 9......

PS: anyone notice how luck-dependent my wins were on tiebreakers

Online jack208

• BGC Webstore
GAMECON-1.5 IS ON!!!
« Reply #52 on: July 01, 2007, 03:17:21 am »

[quote user="macedwin"]Today at GAMECON-1.5 saw the kick off of this year's Settlers qualifiers... [/quote]

Congrats to the first 2 qualifiers - Rob and Henry. btw what happened to a certain Mr Long then? He went back to play his Catan on the Xbox? [:P]

I was thinking about the Qualifier for last year's finalists and cudn't help feel that something is not right there. Here are my thoughts.

1. It's an inspired move to allow the Winner and Runner-up of last year's Qualifiers to go straight to this year's Finals. [thumbsup]

2. However having the other 14 Finalists compete in one Qualifier of their own for 2 places doesn't seem so inspired. Here's the Why.

• While Catan has "dice", I think we can all agree that last year's 16 Finalists would represent the "stronger" of the rest of the Catan players in Msia. Arguably some better players may have been "accidentally" knocked-out in the Qualifiers. But no matter how, these 16 would be "strong" players.

• By placing them ALL (sans the Top 2 players) in one qualifier that offers only 2 seats, we are actually diluting the gene pool instead of augmenting it.

• Instead of rewarding them for reaching last year's Finals, we seem to be "penalising" them... I'm sure given a choice, they would have preferred to have the chance to play in the other 5 Qualifiers in which they would stand a better chance to qualify - as it should be (if they are indeed the better players and with due respects to all other players). 

• If you look at the roll call (in no particular order) - Bryan, Andyputra, Triona, Casteo, Ms Yong, Foo Bros, Denise, Ainul, Alan Woon, Justin, Nirmala, Sara Yasmin and Hayzan - and only two can make it to these year's Finals... hmmm.....

• Or did I misread the whole format, and that these 14 can still take part in the normal 5 qualifiers but if they fail to qualify, then they still have their own "special" qualifier for one more shot? Coz I saw one of the Foo bros playing in yest's qualifier but Denise/Casteo did not.

What are the others' perspectives on this?

GAMECON-1.5 IS ON!!!
« Reply #53 on: July 01, 2007, 05:52:12 am »
You are correct!

1. The special qualifier offers 14 finalist an additional chance to qualify for 4 seats.

2. So finalists can do two things. Play only in the qualifier if they are confident of being top 4; or play in all the qualifiers to be sure.

3. Denise signed up to play yesterday, but gave her seat to Foo.

It's an additional chance offering 4 seats.