Hello Guest

GAMECON-1.5 IS ON!!!

• 84 Replies

Offline rhyen

GAMECON-1.5 IS ON!!!
« Reply #54 on: July 01, 2007, 06:55:45 pm »
[quote user="macedwin"]You are correct!

1. The special qualifier offers 14 finalist an additional chance to qualify for 4 seats.

2. So finalists can do two things. Play only in the qualifier if they are confident of being top 4; or play in all the qualifiers to be sure.

3. Denise signed up to play yesterday, but gave her seat to Foo.

It's an additional chance offering 4 seats.[/quote]

best of all, I think that us mere mortals cannot enter their special qualifiers...
what more, they are fighting for 4 seats instead of 2 as per normal qualifiers.

GAMECON-1.5 IS ON!!!
« Reply #55 on: July 02, 2007, 04:29:57 am »
1,000 thanks to all those who volunteered, officially and unofficially, to demo games over the weekend!

bummers

------------

- nick lost 2 precious confrontation figures ;-(

- we lost 3 marvel heroes figures ;-(

(clearly a thief in our presence)

- hardly any crowd for what the origanizers claim to be the "biggest game convention malaysia"! even gacc in malacca had more crowd!

- exorbitant parking rates with no discount to exhibitors.

smileys

---------

- we still got some high quality converts ranging from pc/console gamers to a bunch of 40-50 year old ladies who were clearly addicted to blokus more than mah-jong!

- we managed to kick-off the settlers qualifiers.

- good test on our capability to do demos to large crowds (conclusion: we were struggling...)

once again, thanks to all who helped out in whatever way!

we are definitely in a better position now to plan for gamecon-2.

Offline rhyen

GAMECON-1.5 IS ON!!!
« Reply #56 on: July 02, 2007, 01:52:50 pm »
[quote user="macedwin"]

- good test on our capability to do demos to large crowds (conclusion: we were struggling...) [/quote]

more multi-lingual volunteer please,
and full translation of rules into Bahasa,
I think I was the only volunteer conversing with the school kids in Bahasa.

Offline ayheng

• JEDI MASTER
GAMECON-1.5 IS ON!!!
« Reply #57 on: July 02, 2007, 02:50:56 pm »
I was demo-ing Blokus in BM too... but granted that blokus is easier to demo, I kept calling the Blokus pieces, pieces in BM. So i was like going: "semua orang mula di bucu, letakkan "pieces" kamu di bucu..."

some thoughts:
a. i kept looking for more blokus sets to demo as it was the easiest, and the crowd did not look like something that would appreciate settlers or carcassonne. but then again, denise did it with carcassonne, rhyen did it with settlers and jin fei actually did it with battlelore... *serious salutations*

b. if we know there were going to be lots of school kids, we might as well demo Hottest Race in the World as it's the cheapest game that the kids might buy.

c. the organisers seriously underpromoted the event. by the 3rd hour i think most gamers were itching to play their own games instead of demo-ing games to the odd visitor or two.

d. you can be shocked at who's good at blokus, a kid beat his dad and a mom beat the kids and the dad!

e. dexterity games are infinitely easier to demo.

f. after finishing a game demo, you start looking for other games to demo, but the other games' occupied and... you just lost your audience...

g. demo-ing carcassonne takes forever, you can occupy 4 players for an hour or two...

h. there were barely 6 booths in the hall, what were the organisers thinking!?!

i. thanks to jack208 for rescuing us from boredom by bringing 18Scan.

j. even though the hall was cold and sparse, i like to think that the boardgamers brought lots of excitement and laughter into the place by their enthusiastic zeal!

GAMECON-1.5 IS ON!!!
« Reply #58 on: July 02, 2007, 03:10:50 pm »
Thanks also to all who have posted their feedback! Good lessons for us to take to the real thing - GAMECON-2!

I must take my hat off to rhyen who I personally saw teaching dakwa clad schoolgirls Haselwurz & Barenklau and Settlers of Catan! You were awesome! Faham? FAHAMMMM!!!

Unfortunately I didn't get to witness ayheng teaching students how to letak their "pieces"!

However, nothing beats what I saw on Friday - 5 dakwa clad school girls who really couldn't speak English very well, reading & interpreting German as they played Arbos!

Every turn, players had to draw one card which told them what action to take. Although all the cards had illustrations of the actions required, it was still mighty hilarious to actually see these sporting girls reading their card out aloud in German, and then look at each other trying to figure out what the required action was!

Offline dave

GAMECON-1.5 IS ON!!!
« Reply #59 on: July 02, 2007, 03:53:10 pm »

Here's more feedback (and some rants) :-

1) Line barriers around the more valuable displays eg. Confrontation, AT-43, Warhammer 40k... earlier on saturday, there were a lot of school kids and there were not enough eyes to watch the other displays if you're busy demo-ing. Miniature games with nice terrain are good crowd pullers but need security otherwise things go missing.

2) I had difficulty explaining AT-43 and Confrontation in B.M as well....... don't Malaysians learn English in school anymore???

3) Palazzo Paletti was a brilliant crowd-puller. There were a whole bunch of people watching when I was going against Nick. Maybe someone to demo that full-time next Gamecon with Villa Paletti sets on sale nearby?

GAMECON-1.5 IS ON!!!
« Reply #60 on: July 02, 2007, 07:18:17 pm »
terima kasih!

yea, we were seriously short-handed. if the convention had pulled in 10,000 people we would be dead! just didn't have enough to do 1 per table.

we can now write to rackham to release a bahasa malaysia version...

errr, u and nick played villa paletti? duh! yea, last gamecon this was a full time crowd puller!

GAMECON-1.5 IS ON!!!
« Reply #61 on: July 03, 2007, 04:39:15 am »
Oh, just as a note... the Subbuteo England vs France game ended 3-0....... Three Lions on the Shirt...... England, England!!!

Offline rhyen

GAMECON-1.5 IS ON!!!
« Reply #62 on: July 03, 2007, 01:24:01 pm »
[quote user="macedwin"]terima kasih!

yea, we were seriously short-handed. if the convention had pulled in 10,000 people we would be dead! just didn't have enough to do 1 per table.

we can now write to rackham to release a bahasa malaysia version...

errr, u and nick played villa paletti? duh! yea, last gamecon this was a full time crowd puller![/quote]

Need to rotate the games a bit more, Games like take 6 and Bonanza should hit the table more often since they have more popular game play value to newcomers (sorry Edwin, but H & B doesn't look like an game that will get much gametime to a newbie).
If you want people to try rarer games, can set up a few tables to demo them but don't let them stay on the table too long as it will be a waste of playing space (I recall a lot of empty tables to the right of the eurogame section). Just demo the things at certain interval and move on.

GAMECON-1.5 IS ON!!!
« Reply #63 on: July 03, 2007, 03:57:10 pm »
noted...

wish the organizers could tell us more accurately what demographic to expect!

as it is, the majority of the crowd were school kids - mostly school girls - in which case, ayheng is right - hottest race would have been better as it has been tried and tested in panglobal road shows in east coast!

Offline dave

GAMECON-1.5 IS ON!!!
« Reply #64 on: July 03, 2007, 04:24:37 pm »

[quote user="macedwin"] errr, u and nick played villa paletti? duh! yea, last gamecon this was a full time crowd puller![/quote]

You doubt our skill??? I'll have you know that we had the crowd holding their collective breaths as we masterfully removed pillar after pillar till Nick finally decided to acknowledge my mastery! [:P]

Offline jack208

• BGC Webstore
  • BGG ID: jack208
  • Gaming Grp: OTK Cheras
GAMECON-1.5 IS ON!!!
« Reply #65 on: July 03, 2007, 04:46:27 pm »

[quote user="dave"]
You doubt our skill??? I'll have you know that we had the crowd holding their collective breaths as we masterfully removed pillar after pillar till Nick finally decided to acknowledge my mastery! [:P][/quote]

Got meh? I thot I saw the whole thing falling over with just the 3rd pillars pulled, and then the crowd collectively laughing until they cannot catch their breath! [rotfl]

** runs aways quickly **

Become a BGC Insider. Be among the first to hear of our new arrivals, special offers and promo events. Sign-up for our newsletter here http://eepurl.com/dbrcz5

Browse over 1,000 in-stock titles, order online and have your order delivered direct to your doorstep (free delivery for orders above RM150 to West Msia)

Offline aycee

GAMECON-1.5 IS ON!!!
« Reply #66 on: July 04, 2007, 06:10:39 am »

Villa Palletti at GameCon 1.5 had an extra challenge - shakey wobbly tables!

GAMECON-1.5 IS ON!!!
« Reply #67 on: July 04, 2007, 09:59:58 am »
"Saboteur!!!!!" [fingerup]

Offline dave

GAMECON-1.5 IS ON!!!
« Reply #68 on: July 04, 2007, 12:20:17 pm »
[quote user="jack208"]

Got meh? I thot I saw the whole thing falling over with just the 3rd pillars pulled, and then the crowd collectively laughing until they cannot catch their breath! [rotfl]

** runs aways quickly **

[/quote]

Vile slander, I say..... no truth in it at all....

Offline rhyen

GAMECON-1.5 IS ON!!!
« Reply #69 on: July 05, 2007, 12:26:19 pm »
[quote user="dave"][quote user="jack208"]

** runs aways quickly **

[/quote]

Vile slander, I say..... no truth in it at all....

[/quote]

I think edwin has photo evidence of a bunch of malaysian school kids reaching for the sky on Saturday...

Offline dave

GAMECON-1.5 IS ON!!!
« Reply #70 on: July 05, 2007, 02:15:44 pm »

[quote user="rhyen"]
I think edwin has photo evidence of a bunch of malaysian school kids reaching for the sky on Saturday...
[/quote]

Doctored..... much like Najib's photograph...[;)]

GAMECON-1.5 IS ON!!!
« Reply #71 on: July 09, 2007, 09:50:26 am »

I just uploaded the Savage Worlds/Worldworksgames convention report.

http://worldworksgames.com/store/blog/2007/07/08/wwgsw-at-asiagameszone-convention/

Enjoy!!!