Hello Guest

Caylus Premium Ed - How high can you fly?

• 152 Replies

Offline jack208

• BGC Webstore
  • BGG ID: jack208
  • Gaming Grp: OTK Cheras
« on: September 19, 2007, 09:56:09 am »

For those of you drooling over getting a copy of the forthcoming Caylus Premium Edition from Ystari that costs EU65 just for the game alone, here's your chance to get a free set, courtesy of Ystari and Boardgamenews.

Caylus has been the darling of the Eurogame community since its debut, so much so that Ystari Games is releasing a Caylus Premium Limited Edition at Spiel 07 that comes with metal coins, a special figure of King Philip, and a completely redesigned look by superstar Mike Doyle.

Ystari Games is donating a copy of the Caylus Premium Edition, which retails for €65, for a contest on Boardgame News. To win the contest, you must determine the largest possible score that a player can obtain in a two-player game. To put everyone on the same ground, assume the following:

• You take the first turn.

• The jeweller tile is not included.

• You have embedded a homunculus in your opponent and can make that player do exactly what you want.
To give everyone an idea of what a winning score might be, I turned to the sourceof all things Caylus. “I had thought about the idea a while ago, but never did any serious research on it,” says Caylus designer William Attia, who speculates that the winning answer might be in the vicinity of 300.

While solo Caylus scores near 370 have been posted on the Geek, Attia says that in a two-player game, “You probably have to sacrifice quite a few points, especially in the beginning of the game, to allow the second player to get enough cash so that he won’t pass too early in the last two-thirds of the game (where most of the points are scored). Also, the second player might help rush up the building of the early castle sections to reach the most valuable favors earlier (while keeping the maximum number of game turns).”

To enter this contest, which has a deadline of September 25th, you must send an email to the BGN editor with your high score in the subject line along with the words “Caylus Contest.” In the body of the email, you must detail the steps you took to achieve that score. These details will be painstakingly checked by yours truly. If two individuals tie for the high score, the player whose opponent scored the most will win; this keeps you from tanking the other player too badly. If people are still tied, then the player who submitted his or her entry first will win.

Become a BGC Insider. Be among the first to hear of our new arrivals, special offers and promo events. Sign-up for our newsletter here http://eepurl.com/dbrcz5

Browse over 1,000 in-stock titles, order online and have your order delivered direct to your doorstep (free delivery for orders above RM150 to West Msia)

Offline rhyen

« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007, 01:03:00 pm »
Anyone want to pakat on this?

I will get your vanilla Caylus while you keep the Premium set, deal?

Offline Champion Eternal

• <B>JEDI MASTER</B>
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 01:56:56 pm »
Mmmm...interesting. I've always wondered what the highest score achievable in 2er Caylus is.

Offline jack208

• BGC Webstore
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007, 02:09:13 pm »

[quote user="rhyen"]Anyone want to pakat on this?
I will get your vanilla Caylus while you keep the Premium set, deal?
[/quote]

Too busy working out the game now to reply you..... [dreaming]

Become a BGC Insider. Be among the first to hear of our new arrivals, special offers and promo events. Sign-up for our newsletter here http://eepurl.com/dbrcz5

Browse over 1,000 in-stock titles, order online and have your order delivered direct to your doorstep (free delivery for orders above RM150 to West Msia)

Offline wolfx

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2007, 06:39:14 am »
Urgh....hate number crunching contests. Unfortunately I lack the patience for analysis and also not pro enough in Caylus yet.

Offline jack208

• BGC Webstore
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2007, 10:57:47 am »

[quote user="wolfx"]Urgh....hate number crunching contests. Unfortunately I lack the patience for analysis and also not pro enough in Caylus yet.
[/quote]

Interestingly you do not have to be pro to win this contest. You just need to know Caylus good enuff and then able to logically step thru the moves. Full analysis paralysis allowed here at your leisure. [:P]

The key is "highest score" for one player, not highest combined score for a 2-p game. Hence the way a pro would play is to secure a win and probably trounced the noob. This won't secure the highest score for him. It'll secure a good winning score but not highest.

To get highest score, you need to be able to have the noob "help" you to get those scores, to set up the board and to manipulate the cubes/buildings. It's not "normal" Caylus.

It's about possibilities.

Offline rhyen

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2007, 02:31:05 pm »
[quote user="jack208"]

The key is "highest score" for one player, not highest combined score for a 2-p game. Hence the way a pro would play is to secure a win and probably trounced the noob. This won't secure the highest score for him. It'll secure a good winning score but not highest.

To get highest score, you need to be able to have the noob "help" you to get those scores, to set up the board and to manipulate the cubes/buildings. It's not "normal" Caylus.

It's about possibilities.

[/quote]

don't forget the tie-breaker where the "noob" has to have the highest score for you to win.

Offline rhyen

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2007, 06:30:55 pm »
Okay,

Hengy sent in his entry about 6 hours before the dateline closes. Congrats to our first, last and only submission from BGC, may you win the thing and donate the PLE set you are buying to me!!!

Offline ayheng

• JEDI MASTER
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2007, 08:46:46 pm »
not really sure about my calculations since no one spent the time to check my workings. but for those who were interested, the score was 409. so spread into the 18turns X 6 actions/turn, I scored approximately 3.78 points per action. Which is on the good side since a good action of putting on a goldmine will net you 3 points.

Offline ayheng

• JEDI MASTER
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2007, 02:32:00 am »
Been awhile since the contest ended and I emailed the boardgame editor about the result.

Seems like he encounter lots of difficulty in interpreting the results and selecting the winner! Missing information and errors in the steps detailing!

And my guess is, all the contest entries are equally as error-prone!

So, gggrrrr, if only bgc folks had spent time to check my calculations, we might have won outright!