Hello Guest

News! (Unofficial) BGG Essen News! Read all about it!!!

• 39 Replies
« on: October 06, 2007, 09:36:32 pm »
Click this link if you dare to find out!
Me? I'm mucho mucho afraid!!

Offline jack208

• BGC Webstore
  • BGG ID: jack208
  • Gaming Grp: OTK Cheras
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 02:06:24 am »

Looks like Filosofia is reprinting two games I've been looking for

• Die Handler (an oop game played at BGC; some like it, some dun get it)

• Chinatown (supposedly the best trading game, even better than Traders of Genoa)

Source

Become a BGC Insider. Be among the first to hear of our new arrivals, special offers and promo events. Sign-up for our newsletter here http://eepurl.com/dbrcz5

Browse over 1,000 in-stock titles, order online and have your order delivered direct to your doorstep (free delivery for orders above RM150 to West Msia)

Offline rhyen

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2007, 02:04:50 pm »
[quote user="jack208"]

Looks like Filosofia is reprinting two games I've been looking for

• Die Handler (an oop game played at BGC; some like it, some dun get it)

• Chinatown (supposedly the best trading game, even better than Traders of Genoa)

Source

[/quote]

please check the price of Die Handler for me Jeff, might want to buy it after winning my first game the last time we played it.

Offline Champion Eternal

• <B>JEDI MASTER</B>
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2007, 07:10:00 pm »
Haven't tried either, but Chinatown looks good. I like the theme.

Offline jack208

• BGC Webstore
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2007, 09:23:36 pm »

[quote user="Champion Eternal"]Haven't tried either, but Chinatown looks good. I like the theme.
[/quote]

Chinatown has been a game I've been tracking since trading/negotiation game is something I like. Bohnanza is good chaotic fun, Kuhhandel another great bluffing/nego card game while Traders of Genoa is so far the best trading game but offers little in way of strategy. It's more of managing chaos. Chinatown supposedly offers a deeper game play.

As for Die Handler, mebbe I can bring it over to Mage (when I'm going there) so that we can do a 4p game for you to testdrive it. I like it... the Pudu Gamers like it.. the Terasek Gamers like it too... and some (not all) of the OTK regulars like it. The rest are more like lukewarm (as mentioned in my blog report).

[:-*] pssst... since ayheng/wolfx don't seem to be in here, let me tell you la.. wait, let me put on flame-proof undies first. okie done - I think they not lukewarm la but more like blur sotong kakakaka

Become a BGC Insider. Be among the first to hear of our new arrivals, special offers and promo events. Sign-up for our newsletter here http://eepurl.com/dbrcz5

Browse over 1,000 in-stock titles, order online and have your order delivered direct to your doorstep (free delivery for orders above RM150 to West Msia)

Offline ayheng

• JEDI MASTER
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2007, 06:15:33 am »
That's it!!! Die Handler sux!!! [plasmagun]

Offline wolfx

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2007, 06:24:42 am »
[quote user="jack208"]

[quote user="Champion Eternal"]Haven't tried either, but Chinatown looks good. I like the theme.
[/quote]

Chinatown has been a game I've been tracking since trading/negotiation game is something I like. Bohnanza is good chaotic fun, Kuhhandel another great bluffing/nego card game while Traders of Genoa is so far the best trading game but offers little in way of strategy. It's more of managing chaos. Chinatown supposedly offers a deeper game play.

As for Die Handler, mebbe I can bring it over to Mage (when I'm going there) so that we can do a 4p game for you to testdrive it. I like it... the Pudu Gamers like it.. the Terasek Gamers like it too... and some (not all) of the OTK regulars like it. The rest are more like lukewarm (as mentioned in my blog report).

[:-*] pssst... since ayheng/wolfx don't seem to be in here, let me tell you la.. wait, let me put on flame-proof undies first. okie done - I think they not lukewarm la but more like blur sotong kakakaka

[/quote]

OOP game is OOP for a reason. Cuz nobody likes it. HOHOHOHOHO!! [6]

Well for me the strategies involved in Die Handler wasn't obvious to the newbies, and as frustration of shipping goods was further aggravated by rhyen and jeff's abuse of the horse and carriages with their special powers, the game became rather dry and the pros led the losers by a huge margin. What's worse is there's little chance for the obvious losers to catch up with the obvious winners due to the honor rank system. If you're left behind, you're pretty much screwed for the rest of the game without much chance for recovery.

In other words, if you were losing since the beginning, you will most probably be playing a slow hard game towards the end and not win. So you end up just screwing people outbidding them and charge exorbitant prices for them to get on, just to spite the people who charged you exorbitant prices in the beginning. [:@]

Offline jack208

• BGC Webstore
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2007, 06:33:17 am »

wah... now only I know sotongs can swim very fast and have a highly developed sense of smell (filter/search)... arrived liao. [:P]

I agree with wolfx saying this is not an easy game for newbies to jump in with the vets. It can be bloody murder as you do need to keep with the Joneses every turn or you'll be a goner. Having said that, having to keep pace with the leader makes this a very painful game.

I won't hijack this thread to talk about Die Handler but perhaps I shud blog about it as an review cum strategy thoughts article. Perhaps then more will appreciate the nuances of this game.

Offline ayheng

• JEDI MASTER
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2007, 06:35:18 am »
[quote user="wolfx"]

OOP game is OOP for a reason. Cuz nobody likes it. HOHOHOHOHO!! [6]

Well for me the strategies involved in Die Handler wasn't obvious to the newbies, and as frustration of shipping goods was further aggravated by rhyen and jeff's abuse of the horse and carriages with their special powers, the game became rather dry and the pros led the losers by a huge margin. What's worse is there's little chance for the obvious losers to catch up with the obvious winners due to the honor rank system. If you're left behind, you're pretty much screwed for the rest of the game without much chance for recovery.

In other words, if you were losing since the beginning, you will most probably be playing a slow hard game towards the end and not win. So you end up just screwing people outbidding them and charge exorbitant prices for them to get on, just to spite the people who charged you exorbitant prices in the beginning. [:@]

[/quote]

seconded. i would say the fact that we played with  experienced players spoilt it for us. the bidding is tough for newbies and the most crucial part in the beginning of the game can enjoyment for the rest of the game, so the game environment is causing the low ratings. don't blame us if you're the ones causing the un-joyment [bleer]

Offline aycee

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2007, 06:51:28 am »
[quote user="jack208"]Chinatown (supposedly the best trading game, even better than Traders of Genoa)[/quote]*GASP*
There's a better trading game than Traders of Genoa!? Oooh!