4. Cuba
5. Before the Wind
6. Im Jahr des Drachen
King of Siam
Container
9. Filou - Die Katze im Sack
10. Kingsburg

MyNotes:
Tribune came from out of nowhere. [:D] This is usually good news to me 'cos I think the pre-release hype that some games got in the past was not justified. Well done Karl-Heinz Schmiel. Roma victor!

Agricola was not a surprise. I thought the theme was original and it looks like the gameplay is good.

I am really curious anout Cuba. Wanna try it.

Hamburgum : The roundel rules again! [dance3] I am very happy for Mac Gerdts. He is a genius.

Eat lots of baked beans before you play Before the Wind - it's the only way to win.

Kingsburg sounds good.

Brass was nowhere in sight in the top ten. I was hoping the MW game would be in the buzz more.

Offline wolfx

Essen 2007 Fairplay Poll Final Results
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 10:37:54 am »

Agricola sounds awesome. And its only 30 minutes play time apparently. They shoulda included the farmer, wife and children tokens though.....that would be fun. XD

Offline ayheng

• JEDI MASTER
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007, 11:17:23 am »

Heng's notes:

Tribune came out of nowhere, it sounds like a waaarrrgghhhgame, but knowing germans, it might be a majority/influence control game.

Agricola was consistently in the limelight. The description sounds like a game of farming, but heard there are a lot of text on cards. Not sure how elegant the system will be with that number of text.

Hamburgum was described as a non-conflict game, something that some might take an issue with considering Mac Gerdts' previous designs involve waarrggghhh. This game was described as an euro-esque city re-building game with a bogged down mid-game. Considering his previous design of Antike, this scenario is highly likely with new players, but should be smoothed out when all players are experienced.

Cuba. The more I read about this game, the more I'm worried about how the game is balanced. Every player has their own pre-arranged farms and I'm worried that the existing setup might be unbalanced in some manner. Furthermore, there seems to be laws that will be voted in every turn and that again might throw the game balance out of whack. The bidding mechanic incorporated seems like a repair gesture to partly resolve this. This game seems more like Pillars/AOE3 than Caylus/Puerto Rico with its special laws cards. While I like AOE3, I'm so-so with Pillars, wonder how this game will turn out for me.

Before the Wind. Heard about this game on the Pulpgamer podcast. Wasn't taken in by the descriptions then of shipping and storing goods at the right timing, so this game from Phalanx doesn't catch my attention.

Im Jahr Des Drachen. Supposedly a good game from Alea. But since I haven't tested Notre Dame yet from Alea, I'm not sure what to expect for this one.

King of Siam. This game got euthusiastic thumbs up from some quarters. Think is area majority rather than waarrrgghhh game. Will be interested in reading more reviews.

Container. Co-authored by the recently late Franz Benno-Delonge. Game description seems bleah, but the components are top notch! Hope the gameplay is more than currently previewed.

Filou. Friedemann Friese's esoteric offering. More people seems to be picking this one up because its cheap rather than some fantastic review. Again not sure what to expect. But I expect the new power grid plant deck#2 to roxor!

Kingsburg. The board of many many historical personalities doesn't attact me. Perhaps more reviews before commenting further?

Unranked games: Brass - yeah, warfrog deosn't seem to be generating any buzz with this one, could be a 'meh' title. Wadi - this game seems simple and elegent with plenty of screwage. Was on the fairplay list at some point. Amytis - ystari's latest title seems promising but under-reported. Maybe everyone bought before trying it?

That's all my notes for now after reading all those Essen reports... shheeessshhh how does anyone get any work done around here?

Offline ayheng

• JEDI MASTER
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2007, 04:29:24 pm »
Arrrggghhh, did more time wasting research and found out: Tribune is designed by Karl Heinz-Schmeil, the designer of Die Macher!!! Apparently this game is an election game in the Roman Empire, wow, what a theme!

Offline Champion Eternal

• <B>JEDI MASTER</B>
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2007, 05:31:47 pm »
[quote user="ayheng"]Arrrggghhh, did more time wasting research and found out: Tribune is designed by Karl Heinz-Schmeil, the designer of Die Macher!!! Apparently this game is an election game in the Roman Empire, wow, what a theme!
[/quote]

Sounds like Republic of Rome Euro-lite. This is the one that I am most interested in, out of all the ten. I hope the theme + mechanics = apt.

Offline dave

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2007, 05:52:40 am »
Bleh.... [+o(] just play Republic of Rome.... it's the best game of Roman politics that'll ever be made....

Offline ayheng

• JEDI MASTER
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2007, 06:22:29 am »

[quote user="dave"]Bleh.... [+o(] just play Republic of Rome.... it's the best game of Roman politics that'll ever be made....[/quote]

eh, don't knock this game so soon... then again, if anyone got Republic of Rome to playtest, I'll be happy to oblige... (let's see, there's titan, republic of rome... man, more games to try)

Offline Champion Eternal

• <B>JEDI MASTER</B>
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2007, 01:00:53 pm »
Dave, have u got your RoR with you?

Offline ayheng

• JEDI MASTER
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2007, 01:20:26 pm »

Actually, the thing that everyone (or at least myself) is most interested right now is:

What did macedwin brought back from Essen for the Awana Getaway Gaming 2007 (TM)???

Agricola? Tribune? Cuba? Hamburgum? Powergrid Plant Deck 2?

Anyone want to make bets?

Offline dave

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2007, 02:53:56 pm »

[quote user="Champion Eternal"]Dave, have u got your RoR with you?
[/quote]

Sold off my copy before I left Australia..... [brickwall]

Offline Champion Eternal

• <B>JEDI MASTER</B>
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2007, 05:18:51 pm »
[quote user="dave"]

[quote user="Champion Eternal"]Dave, have u got your RoR with you?
[/quote]

Sold off my copy before I left Australia..... [brickwall]

[/quote]

Aiyo! What have you done?[duh]

Offline ayheng

• JEDI MASTER
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2007, 11:21:48 am »

Here are more initial impressions, this one's from a well known gaming personality, Mike Siggins (a.k.a. sumo) Enjoy!

http://www.funagain.com/control/viewblogpost?contentBlogPostId=14903&contentBlogId=1

Offline rhyen

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2007, 02:33:47 pm »
[quote user="ayheng"]

Heng's notes:

Tribune came out of nowhere, it sounds like a waaarrrgghhhgame, but knowing germans, it might be a majority/influence control game.

[/quote]

If it is similar to Die Macher, I want it !!!!
until I managed to ebay Die Macher in the future or they decide to reprint it.

Offline ayheng

• JEDI MASTER
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2007, 02:46:48 pm »
[quote user="rhyen"][quote user="ayheng"]

Heng's notes:

[/quote]

[/quote]

Eh dude, you can get both games what. Valley games just reprinted Die Macher!

Offline rhyen

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2007, 03:38:21 pm »
[quote user="ayheng"][quote user="rhyen"][quote user="ayheng"]

Heng's notes:

[/quote]

[/quote]

Eh dude, you can get both games what. Valley games just reprinted Die Macher!

[/quote]

I want Die Macher!!!!

Offline Champion Eternal

• <B>JEDI MASTER</B>
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2007, 07:08:23 pm »
Die Macher is in print. Just order from Jack208.

Offline ayheng

• JEDI MASTER
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2007, 12:22:07 pm »

So far i have read the rules for Cuba and Agricola. Both games have the remarkable similiarities of having player boards for each individual players a-la Puerto Rico. You can build buildings and get resources from your player board.

However, that's where the similiarities end. In Cuba, you produce resources, goods and products from your player board. Each item has a different difficulty in producing it. The straightforward way of generating VPs is in shipping it off. However, there are also special buildings which you can acquire and transform resources/goods/products into VPs a-la Pillars of the Earth. There are also special voting rounds in which laws will be passed into being that changes the VP generation efficiency. There are so many mechanics at play here that you feel every one of your action will adversely affect another player. From the looks of the rules, it should be a gamer's game.

Agricola's rules are remarkably simple once you've read it. You assign your 'family members' (workers) to a variety of available actions which then cannot be selected by other players a-la Caylus. All actions resolve simultaneously. You got to raise your kids, plough your fields, upgrade your knowledge, bake your breads, feed your family, etc. It's like a civ game but in a farm setting.

The only difficult part in Agricola is the many special powers in its 100+ occupation and minor improvements cards. Each game you only use about 14 of them per player. This of course means that the game will have different combination of cards and feel for each gaming session. This also gives the players a little analysis paralysis in absorbing the info on the cards. Interestingly, the translations on the internet so far are available for the basic 'family' variant only where most of the special powers are not in use. Even so, the game already has its fans and players deeming that its challenging even without the special powers. The full game should be a great gamer's game.

Unlike classic eurogames, Cuba and Agricola seem to be going for the subtle chaos and unpredictability in the special cards/powers. There are a combination of random laws coming into effect each turn in Cuba that gives the game its variety. For Agricola, its the combination of occupation and minor improvements that you get at the start of the game. Of course, with chaos and unpredictability comes the price of balance and luck. With time, we should know whether the designers got it right or wrong. But for now, the rules for both games indicate that they are my type of game! [thumbsup]

Offline Champion Eternal

• <B>JEDI MASTER</B>
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2007, 01:27:13 pm »
Good post.  Cuba is more similar to PR (not always a good thing) while Agricola is more like civ-meets-caylus.[:)]