Hello Guest

Essen 2007 Fairplay Poll Final Results

• 52 Replies

Offline Champion Eternal

• <B>JEDI MASTER</B>
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2007, 05:18:51 pm »
[quote user="dave"]

[quote user="Champion Eternal"]Dave, have u got your RoR with you?
[/quote]

Sold off my copy before I left Australia..... [brickwall]

[/quote]

Aiyo! What have you done?[duh]

Offline ayheng

• JEDI MASTER
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2007, 11:21:48 am »

Here are more initial impressions, this one's from a well known gaming personality, Mike Siggins (a.k.a. sumo) Enjoy!

http://www.funagain.com/control/viewblogpost?contentBlogPostId=14903&contentBlogId=1

Offline rhyen

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2007, 02:33:47 pm »
[quote user="ayheng"]

Heng's notes:

Tribune came out of nowhere, it sounds like a waaarrrgghhhgame, but knowing germans, it might be a majority/influence control game.

[/quote]

If it is similar to Die Macher, I want it !!!!
until I managed to ebay Die Macher in the future or they decide to reprint it.

Offline ayheng

• JEDI MASTER
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2007, 02:46:48 pm »
[quote user="rhyen"][quote user="ayheng"]

Heng's notes:

Tribune came out of nowhere, it sounds like a waaarrrgghhhgame, but knowing germans, it might be a majority/influence control game.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Eh dude, you can get both games what. Valley games just reprinted Die Macher!

Offline rhyen

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2007, 03:38:21 pm »
[quote user="ayheng"][quote user="rhyen"][quote user="ayheng"]

Heng's notes:

[/quote]

[/quote]

Eh dude, you can get both games what. Valley games just reprinted Die Macher!

[/quote]

I want Die Macher!!!!

Offline Champion Eternal

• <B>JEDI MASTER</B>
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2007, 07:08:23 pm »
Die Macher is in print. Just order from Jack208.

Offline ayheng

• JEDI MASTER
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2007, 12:22:07 pm »

So far i have read the rules for Cuba and Agricola. Both games have the remarkable similiarities of having player boards for each individual players a-la Puerto Rico. You can build buildings and get resources from your player board.

However, that's where the similiarities end. In Cuba, you produce resources, goods and products from your player board. Each item has a different difficulty in producing it. The straightforward way of generating VPs is in shipping it off. However, there are also special buildings which you can acquire and transform resources/goods/products into VPs a-la Pillars of the Earth. There are also special voting rounds in which laws will be passed into being that changes the VP generation efficiency. There are so many mechanics at play here that you feel every one of your action will adversely affect another player. From the looks of the rules, it should be a gamer's game.

Agricola's rules are remarkably simple once you've read it. You assign your 'family members' (workers) to a variety of available actions which then cannot be selected by other players a-la Caylus. All actions resolve simultaneously. You got to raise your kids, plough your fields, upgrade your knowledge, bake your breads, feed your family, etc. It's like a civ game but in a farm setting.

The only difficult part in Agricola is the many special powers in its 100+ occupation and minor improvements cards. Each game you only use about 14 of them per player. This of course means that the game will have different combination of cards and feel for each gaming session. This also gives the players a little analysis paralysis in absorbing the info on the cards. Interestingly, the translations on the internet so far are available for the basic 'family' variant only where most of the special powers are not in use. Even so, the game already has its fans and players deeming that its challenging even without the special powers. The full game should be a great gamer's game.

Unlike classic eurogames, Cuba and Agricola seem to be going for the subtle chaos and unpredictability in the special cards/powers. There are a combination of random laws coming into effect each turn in Cuba that gives the game its variety. For Agricola, its the combination of occupation and minor improvements that you get at the start of the game. Of course, with chaos and unpredictability comes the price of balance and luck. With time, we should know whether the designers got it right or wrong. But for now, the rules for both games indicate that they are my type of game! [thumbsup]

Offline Champion Eternal

• <B>JEDI MASTER</B>
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2007, 01:27:13 pm »
Good post.  Cuba is more similar to PR (not always a good thing) while Agricola is more like civ-meets-caylus.[:)]

Offline ayheng

• JEDI MASTER
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2007, 01:41:49 pm »

[quote user="Champion Eternal"]Good post.  Cuba is more similar to PR (not always a good thing) while Agricola is more like civ-meets-caylus.[:)]
[/quote]

Actually, other than the fight for shipping, I don't frickin' see PR in Cuba. Everyone has the same support role cards, so its not like you can block other people out from the roles. The player boards is also nothing like PR's. There are no 'building' and 'shipping' strategy that i can see. The strategy here is in choosing which VPs tranformation buildings to go for - rum, cigar, water, wood, stone, etc.

I think the similiarities to PR are superficial at best.

Offline jack208

• BGC Webstore
  • BGG ID: jack208
  • Gaming Grp: OTK Cheras
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2007, 04:29:16 pm »
actually ar when a game claims to be like this game la that game la... then oh oh RED FLAG.
Become a BGC Insider. Be among the first to hear of our new arrivals, special offers and promo events. Sign-up for our newsletter here http://eepurl.com/dbrcz5

Browse over 1,000 in-stock titles, order online and have your order delivered direct to your doorstep (free delivery for orders above RM150 to West Msia)