Offline wolfx

Spiel (Essen) '08 What's Hot What's Not
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 07:40:56 pm »
[quote user="ayheng"]

Check it out in this geeklist:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/35865

An almagation of everybody's opinion on Boardgamegeek

[/quote]

Two games caught my eye thanks to Champion Eternal's compiled catalogue of games from BGN.

I asked for two games to be brought in....

1. Le Havre - From same designer as Agricola with Caylus type building usage. No special meeples mentioned yet....so i'm not sure if I should wait for news of some kinda special meeples......

2. A Castle For All Seasons - I was bored at the office and had nothing to do, so i actually read the rules finish for this game. Majority of the components look the same as Stone Age and the basic idea is kind of similar to Stone Age. You gather resources, build buildings (that CAN be used by yourself and other players for final scoring, rather than Stone Age's building-for-VP system which I felt was kinda shallow). The game board has beautiful art and has a "summer" side and a "winter" side where winter is abit more harsh and for more advanced game as they introduce the winter event cards.

Offline jack208

• BGC Webstore
  • BGG ID: jack208
  • Gaming Grp: OTK Cheras
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 01:31:36 pm »

I'm looking at Princes of Machu Pichu (from Mac Gerdts - Antike/Imperial) but again not sure how new games are in terms of gameplay so most probably play-then-buy rather than buy-and-hope-plays-well.

Become a BGC Insider. Be among the first to hear of our new arrivals, special offers and promo events. Sign-up for our newsletter here http://eepurl.com/dbrcz5

Browse over 1,000 in-stock titles, order online and have your order delivered direct to your doorstep (free delivery for orders above RM150 to West Msia)

Offline ayheng

• JEDI MASTER
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 05:37:31 am »
Looking through the comprehensive Boardgamenews Previews, I have shortlisted two games to get, so for my boardgaming kakis, you know these games you don't have to get:

Dungeon Lords - Czech Games Edition from the creator of Through the Ages, this has an interesting theme: dungeon management! be an evil overlord! since it's from that Czech dude, it should be good game.

Imperial 2030 - PD-Verlag a version of Imperial set in the future and based on the world map, the game promises a more dynamic fight over neutral territories and some mega bonds to enable late game takeovers. since Imperial is one of my favourite games, I will be getting this one.

Other than that, I also give thumbs up to jack208's selection of Automobile and Endeavor. But since Automobile is being pushed back to 2010, we won't be seeing that one soon. There are also a lot of games with interesting graphics but as always, I will wait and see. Rise of Nations (by Martin Wallace), Stronghold, Macao (Alea), Atlantis, Havana, At the Gates of Loyang (Uwe Rosenberg) all have beautiful graphics, but will it be the next Cuba or will it be the next Le Harve? For me will be wait and see.

Offline jack208

• BGC Webstore
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 12:28:04 pm »
I'll be looking to pick up Imperial 2030 as well but if ayheng is picking it up, it means I can do that later. [:P] But any map/exp on Imperial is a must-buy for me.. hehe

Endeavor shud see play mid Oct at OTK. Let's see if it measures up to the expectations.I've been looking at Rise of Nations too but wary of Tempusitis hehe so would rather wait-n-see on this one. It could turn out to be another Automobile [:(]

Become a BGC Insider. Be among the first to hear of our new arrivals, special offers and promo events. Sign-up for our newsletter here http://eepurl.com/dbrcz5

Browse over 1,000 in-stock titles, order online and have your order delivered direct to your doorstep (free delivery for orders above RM150 to West Msia)

Offline ayheng

• JEDI MASTER
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2009, 05:00:16 am »
jack208, if you're looking to picking up Imperial 2030, I will let that one to you and look for something else instead. Since you already owned Imperial, you can just get the map + bonds pack without the wooden bits.

Tempusitis has been rare last year. Steel Driver, Automobile, Waterloo has been getting good reviews. This year there's Rise of Nations, Steam Barons, Last Train to Wensleydale, either one can be good.

Offline ayheng

• JEDI MASTER
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2009, 10:22:07 am »
Essen games rules compilation:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/47023

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2009, 11:07:14 pm »
Anyone up for ESSEN this year??? Or any pre-orders?? I think now is a good time since pounds drop to 5.5 but shipping is still expensive...

Offline ayheng

• JEDI MASTER
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2009, 05:26:36 am »
keealvin, this is what we're buying so that you don't double buy. if you are keen on any title and want a friend to help post the stuff back in a lot, let me know. the only rule is if it's on pre-order, pre-order it and the lot postage will be calculated later.

2F-Spiele
Booth 11-63
Funkenschlag: Fabrikmanager (Factory Manager - english by Rio Grande) - rhyen

Czech Games Edition
Booth 4-310
Dungeon Lords Price: €35 (also available Z-Man Booth Booth 9-28,Booth 9-68) - blownfreaks

PD-Verlag
Booth 9-34
Imperial 2030 Price: €15 (board, bonds and rules only) - jack208

Phalanx Games
Booth 9-118
Rise of Empires Price: $55 / €50 (also available Mayfair Games Booth 9-118) - ayheng

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2009, 04:41:49 pm »
Factory manager, dungeon lords and of course the new imperial seems realli interestin... i mite b gettin all those n stronghold, seaside, thunderstones, and loyang... will hv 2 check d price out... izzit cheaper 2 actually buy in essen??

Offline ayheng

• JEDI MASTER
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2009, 06:41:31 pm »
It is not cheaper to buy in Essen. Period.

However, you buy it there so that
a) you get access to new games asap
b) you get access to freebies/small print titles not found anywhere else
c) you get games which might not be brought in due to its obscure theme

As an aside, among the freebies this year are a power grid power plant card...

There another game on my radar, its Rush 'n' Crush by AEG. However since AEG supplies L5R to our friendly local CCG game stores, it would be a matter of time when it reaches our stores.

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2009, 11:26:46 pm »
new games definitely ASAP and freebies like Agricola n the new transformer card for power grid... but then where else can I get cheap games as even FLGS here is just abit cheaper than getting in Malaysia... Hmmm tht game sounds new...

Offline jack208

• BGC Webstore
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2009, 06:27:57 am »
Firstly when's boardgame ever considered "cheap" here in MY la? We are like Australia & Spore... once the games get here, it won't be cheap the only diff they (AU/SG) have much better exchange rate so it's still affordable to them.

As for the Essen games, if you (keealvin) are going to play them now then you simply need to get them from Essen.. yourself otherwise it's going to be shipped back here to MY and then back to London? [hmmhmm]

The only way to get cheap game is to work in US, get paid on USD then buy in USD [:)]

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2009, 08:41:25 pm »
Yeap if i work here it would b cheap but not... hahax ill juz ask my flgs to preorder essen games bak instead...

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2009, 11:31:33 am »
Hey, at least it's cheaper than my other vices... :) Boardgaming as a hobby is comparatively cheap. Try collecting watches or vintage wines... hehe...

« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2009, 07:54:40 pm »
Hahax those are real expensive collections... but its quite expensiv 2 even take a train 2 germany 4 d occassion...

Offline ayheng

• JEDI MASTER
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2009, 07:02:29 am »
I just read the released Dungeon Lords rule... man, the mechanics is tough. I can't even complete the beginner trainer dungeons perfectly. Even the rules state that the 'beginner' rules should be tackled only by hardcore gamers... I foresee bankrupt dungeon lords left right and centre a la age of steam difficulty.

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2009, 07:58:11 pm »
I think that game has too much mechanics going on in one shot but the use of the minions and order cards are uite an interestin mechanic where being 2nd is best and not forgetting the reasons behind it which is again a funny read...

I think after a few game trials it wud b easier to tackle the shortest way 2 defeat d adventurers but wif d added paladin its crazily tough...

I think I should retreat back to At The Gates Of Loyang hahax...