Hello Guest

Spiel (Essen) '08 What's Hot What's Not

• 29 Replies

Offline ayheng

• JEDI MASTER
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2009, 06:41:31 pm »
It is not cheaper to buy in Essen. Period.

However, you buy it there so that
a) you get access to new games asap
b) you get access to freebies/small print titles not found anywhere else
c) you get games which might not be brought in due to its obscure theme

As an aside, among the freebies this year are a power grid power plant card...

There another game on my radar, its Rush 'n' Crush by AEG. However since AEG supplies L5R to our friendly local CCG game stores, it would be a matter of time when it reaches our stores.

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2009, 11:26:46 pm »
new games definitely ASAP and freebies like Agricola n the new transformer card for power grid... but then where else can I get cheap games as even FLGS here is just abit cheaper than getting in Malaysia... Hmmm tht game sounds new...

Offline jack208

• BGC Webstore
  • BGG ID: jack208
  • Gaming Grp: OTK Cheras
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2009, 06:27:57 am »
Firstly when's boardgame ever considered "cheap" here in MY la? We are like Australia & Spore... once the games get here, it won't be cheap the only diff they (AU/SG) have much better exchange rate so it's still affordable to them.

As for the Essen games, if you (keealvin) are going to play them now then you simply need to get them from Essen.. yourself otherwise it's going to be shipped back here to MY and then back to London? [hmmhmm]

The only way to get cheap game is to work in US, get paid on USD then buy in USD [:)]

Become a BGC Insider. Be among the first to hear of our new arrivals, special offers and promo events. Sign-up for our newsletter here http://eepurl.com/dbrcz5

Browse over 1,000 in-stock titles, order online and have your order delivered direct to your doorstep (free delivery for orders above RM150 to West Msia)

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2009, 08:41:25 pm »
Yeap if i work here it would b cheap but not... hahax ill juz ask my flgs to preorder essen games bak instead...

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2009, 11:31:33 am »
Hey, at least it's cheaper than my other vices... :) Boardgaming as a hobby is comparatively cheap. Try collecting watches or vintage wines... hehe...

« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2009, 07:54:40 pm »
Hahax those are real expensive collections... but its quite expensiv 2 even take a train 2 germany 4 d occassion...

Offline ayheng

• JEDI MASTER
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2009, 07:02:29 am »
I just read the released Dungeon Lords rule... man, the mechanics is tough. I can't even complete the beginner trainer dungeons perfectly. Even the rules state that the 'beginner' rules should be tackled only by hardcore gamers... I foresee bankrupt dungeon lords left right and centre a la age of steam difficulty.

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2009, 07:58:11 pm »
I think that game has too much mechanics going on in one shot but the use of the minions and order cards are uite an interestin mechanic where being 2nd is best and not forgetting the reasons behind it which is again a funny read...

I think after a few game trials it wud b easier to tackle the shortest way 2 defeat d adventurers but wif d added paladin its crazily tough...

I think I should retreat back to At The Gates Of Loyang hahax...

Offline ayheng

• JEDI MASTER
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2009, 07:27:16 am »
The rules have many phases and steps and a number of exceptions as well. Reminds me of Through the Ages. example: a trap played on a corridor is free while a trap played in a room cost one gold. its a bit much to remember on the rules and exceptions, just like TTA.

The order cards I felt it's a bit like simultaneous blind bidding, with big chance of screwage, so no complaints there. Anything with screwage is part of the tension.

The mechanics of combat though is where I got stuck. The order and types of monsters and traps to send against the intruding adventurers felt really thinky and have a big effect. if you're not careful, it can cost you the game. But if everyone screws up this portion, then everyone's game is similiarly toast. (btw there's no bankruptcy and elimination in this game, just negative victory points, so everyone can't die but everyone will suck horribly hehehe)

haven't read gates to loyang rules though. since wolfx getting that game, i can skip reading it.

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2009, 04:30:29 pm »
Yeap that's why the rulebook is 20mb large with full of graphics... it will be a super tension at that part as screwage and predicting what comes will be = screwage and destruction in galaxy trucker...

i guess experience in the game is really needed for the combat... who knows?? juz wait for the game to be on the table...

loyang is a simple game 4 me but yet i sense the toughness to actually winning the game as cards played are realli important...

oh ya any1 here joinin in the secret santa thing??