Hello Guest

Spiel (Essen) '08 What's Hot What's Not

• 29 Replies

Offline ayheng

• JEDI MASTER
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2009, 07:27:16 am »
The rules have many phases and steps and a number of exceptions as well. Reminds me of Through the Ages. example: a trap played on a corridor is free while a trap played in a room cost one gold. its a bit much to remember on the rules and exceptions, just like TTA.

The order cards I felt it's a bit like simultaneous blind bidding, with big chance of screwage, so no complaints there. Anything with screwage is part of the tension.

The mechanics of combat though is where I got stuck. The order and types of monsters and traps to send against the intruding adventurers felt really thinky and have a big effect. if you're not careful, it can cost you the game. But if everyone screws up this portion, then everyone's game is similiarly toast. (btw there's no bankruptcy and elimination in this game, just negative victory points, so everyone can't die but everyone will suck horribly hehehe)

haven't read gates to loyang rules though. since wolfx getting that game, i can skip reading it.

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2009, 04:30:29 pm »
Yeap that's why the rulebook is 20mb large with full of graphics... it will be a super tension at that part as screwage and predicting what comes will be = screwage and destruction in galaxy trucker...

i guess experience in the game is really needed for the combat... who knows?? juz wait for the game to be on the table...

loyang is a simple game 4 me but yet i sense the toughness to actually winning the game as cards played are realli important...

oh ya any1 here joinin in the secret santa thing??

Offline ayheng

• JEDI MASTER
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2009, 05:29:37 am »
Yup, as my fren blownfreaks like to say, just play it, don't analyse the rule book too hard.

Not really into secret santa thing. Lazy to update want list, that kind of thing.

But I'm keen to do a Malaysia only thing. So far as I know, only macedwin joins the secret santa every year. I'm also interested in a games swap/trade. have a few second string games lying around, perhaps I can trade it with other game groups so they can try it out and prehaps I can get a game I never tried before. Who knows, we might like the traded games.

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2009, 12:29:49 pm »
According to the new Spiel 09 list there seems to be automobile on the list???

Offline ayheng

• JEDI MASTER
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2009, 12:46:04 pm »
The Automobile reprint is due out from Phalanx/Mayfair Games, I think. but it has been delayed till next year.

« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2009, 07:52:54 pm »
in d list its stated from phalanx... muz b d new edition... guess d list mite b wrong or mayb a surprise limited early release copies???

Offline ayheng

• JEDI MASTER
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2009, 01:10:04 pm »
my list is from boardgamenews.com. it might be different from your list?

Offline ayheng

• JEDI MASTER
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2009, 10:52:50 am »
Essen has come and gone, the first analysis of the essen buzz is up. This one compares the traditional Fairplay list with the new Geekbuzz list. It's interesting to see what shows up on one list doesn't make it to the other. Though I guess language might have something to do with it (Fairplay = german leaning, Geekbuzz = english leaning).

http://www.boardgamenews.com/index.php/boardgamenews/comments/tom_rosen_essen_2009_geekbuzz_meets_fairplay/

Out of those games, I will be tracking the buzz for these games (not in any order):
  1. Dungeon Lords
  2. Power Grid - Factory Manager
  3. Vasco de Gama
  4. Carson City
  5. Peloponnes
  6. Macao
  7. Imperial 2030
  8. Power Grid: Brazil & Spain/Portugal
  9. Opera
  10. Last Train to Wensleydale
  11. At the Gates of Loyang
  12. Greed, Inc.
  13. Colonia
  14. Shipyard
Let the reports begin!

Offline ayheng

• JEDI MASTER
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2009, 01:45:00 pm »

Offline jack208

• BGC Webstore
  • BGG ID: jack208
  • Gaming Grp: OTK Cheras
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2009, 07:16:13 am »
[quote user="ayheng"]

1. Greed, Inc.
    [/quote]

So you agree that Greed, for lack of a better word, is GOOD! [evillook]

Become a BGC Insider. Be among the first to hear of our new arrivals, special offers and promo events. Sign-up for our newsletter here http://eepurl.com/dbrcz5

Browse over 1,000 in-stock titles, order online and have your order delivered direct to your doorstep (free delivery for orders above RM150 to West Msia)

Offline ayheng

• JEDI MASTER
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2009, 10:28:46 am »
[quote user="jack208"][quote user="ayheng"]

1. Greed, Inc.
    [/quote]

So you agree that Greed, for lack of a better word, is GOOD! [evillook]

[/quote]

yup yup. who can pass on the chance to be a money siphoning CEO? that's why we played 18-series game right? right?

Offline jack208

• BGC Webstore
  • BGG ID: jack208
  • Gaming Grp: OTK Cheras
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2009, 08:18:30 am »

The Golden Geek list is out and it has both Endeavor and Automobile in it. Plus other faves like BSG and Le Havre. I would think for the Gamers Game category, Endeavor, Automobile and Le Havre wud be the faves.

Gamers' Game

• Automobile

• Battlestar Galactica

• Chicago Express

• Cosmic Encounter

• Dominion

• Endeavor

• Ghost Stories

• Le Havre

• Pandemic

• Small World

• Space Alert

• Steam

• Steel Driver

• Stone Age

• Tinners' Trail

There's also the Print-n-Play category with Agricola Express?? hehe.

I've already voted. Closing date is 31/10 [:p]

Link: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/448505

Become a BGC Insider. Be among the first to hear of our new arrivals, special offers and promo events. Sign-up for our newsletter here http://eepurl.com/dbrcz5

Browse over 1,000 in-stock titles, order online and have your order delivered direct to your doorstep (free delivery for orders above RM150 to West Msia)