Hello Guest

Malaysia's 1st Presence at Spiel

• 12 Replies

Offline wolfx

« on: October 22, 2008, 05:37:30 am »

Read this in today's The Star newspaper.

http://thestar.com.my/youth2/story.asp?file=/2008/10/22/youth2/2325817&sec=youth2

Anyone know where to play/buy? Malaysia boleh! Now i'm inspired to design one and go Spiel next year. [dance1]

Offline ayheng

• JEDI MASTER
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 07:21:27 am »

Yah, this game came as a shocker. I did not hear any news of this game at all although friedricetheman seem to have played it.

It looks like a events-card heavy game in the vein of Arkham Horror/Last Nite on Earth/Various fantasy flight games. Not really my type of game, but here's wishing the best for our home grown publishers!

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 07:59:45 am »

The game reminds me off Dungeon Twister but without the twisting and turning of rooms. The gameboard is made out of square modular rooms. Attacking is made with the rolling of dice. Lots of dice. Each character is unique (ala Dungeon Twister) and has their own starting equipment.

Production is top notch ala Eurogame quality. The gameboard has a matte finish. The cards are of decent card stock and thickness. Really durable unless you are playing it 5 times a day for 2 years.

One of the better Ameritrash games I see coming out for Essen this year (and this says a lot coming from an Ameritrash fan). He already has 29 preorders from geek-ers the world over. This is not bad considering that the game is made by a new company with no previous track record.

I did some publicity posts on the general forums over boardgamegeek the past 3 weeks before the  game page that I put up was approved. But most of the work was done by Dean Tan, Hafeeza and their team. From conception to realization, it took them 4-5 years. Kudos to Dean, Hafeeza and the rest of the R&D team.

On a side note, Switch : Secrets of the Temple is ONLY available through Comics Corner as they are Outplay Games's authorized distribution channel. The game will be priced below RM200, which is pretty good value for money considering the amount of bits that you are getting.

Offline jack208

• BGC Webstore
  • BGG ID: jack208
  • Gaming Grp: OTK Cheras
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 01:50:24 pm »

Awesome... good luck to them! I'm happy they are taking action in committing money to produce their games, and going to Essen (not cheap setting up booth there etc).

Wish them all the best.. and Malaysia Boleh at Spiel now!

So those who want to get their games now know where to go la... Comics Corner has branches in a few places with one at Atria, DJ.

Won't post their links here, you can google I'm sure [:P]

Become a BGC Insider. Be among the first to hear of our new arrivals, special offers and promo events. Sign-up for our newsletter here http://eepurl.com/dbrcz5

Browse over 1,000 in-stock titles, order online and have your order delivered direct to your doorstep (free delivery for orders above RM150 to West Msia)

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 05:10:08 am »

Good news. Dean Tan (spin dog) has managed to sold out all his copies in the first 3 hours on the first day. There are also throngs of publishers and distributors whom had also made themselves permanent fixtures at his booth.

So, all in all, extremely good news for our first time Malaysian designers.. A big kudos to Spin Dog and Hafeeza, & welcome home to Malaysian soil!

Offline ayheng

• JEDI MASTER
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 06:14:43 am »
wow, cool! hope they do better than the OTHER games released from Malaysia so far...

Offline wolfx

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 09:46:30 am »

[quote user="ayheng"]wow, cool! hope they do better than the OTHER games released from Malaysia so far...[/quote]

Which OTHER games you talk about?

And very good news!! Congrats to them. Thanks for the updates, friedrice! So Heng when you gonna design one?

Offline ayheng

• JEDI MASTER
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2008, 12:09:27 pm »

ayheng is gamer, not designer. I don't even like to make up my own house rules except for broken games such as DIE! Handler, Container and Wealth of Nations. (although based on jack208's comments it seems that all those games are alright, just that i don't get it.)

i suppose long time ago i did design my own games but those games seem so childish now that i won't even pay myself to buy those designs.

as for the OTHER game, maybe you should ask Edwin, it was demoed during Gamecon-1 [;)] [:)] Something about Racing in a Hot place...

Offline jack208

• BGC Webstore
  • BGG ID: jack208
  • Gaming Grp: OTK Cheras
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2008, 04:05:59 pm »
[quote user="ayheng"]

ayheng is gamer, not designer. I don't even like to make up my own house rules except for broken games such as DIE! Handler, Container and Wealth of Nations. (although based on jack208's comments it seems that all those games are alright, just that i don't get it.)

[/quote]

Not you don't get it, you dun want to get it hehehe... let's do Die Handler again, mebbe you need to play more to get it.

Become a BGC Insider. Be among the first to hear of our new arrivals, special offers and promo events. Sign-up for our newsletter here http://eepurl.com/dbrcz5

Browse over 1,000 in-stock titles, order online and have your order delivered direct to your doorstep (free delivery for orders above RM150 to West Msia)

Offline wolfx

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2008, 10:04:47 am »

Barger kononye friedrice is in charge of the publicity for Switch but we never heard about it until few days before Spiel. Fail punyer publicity manager la you, friedrice. [:P] Tiba tiba after spiel he so bising on BGG.

There seems to be a mishap during spiel that the copies sold are missing some cards but stuff is being done to rectify the problem immediately. Nice to know the game is getting international recognition.

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2008, 06:14:28 am »
[quote user="wolfx"]

Barger kononye friedrice is in charge of the publicity for Switch but we never heard about it until few days before Spiel. Fail punyer publicity manager la you, friedrice. [:P] Tiba tiba after spiel he so bising on BGG.

There seems to be a mishap during spiel that the copies sold are missing some cards but stuff is being done to rectify the problem immediately. Nice to know the game is getting international recognition.

[/quote]

Well, uh, who do you think put up the switch page on BGG? And also, didn't you see my earlier thread on Switch (can be found on BGG general forums), promoting it about 2 weeks before essen? Get your facts right before opening your mouth.

Offline ayheng

• JEDI MASTER
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2008, 03:39:44 am »
Perhaps two weeks is too short a time to promote a game. What's the story behind the development? How come this game can be under wraps for the months/years it has been in development? What we like to know is how did it slipped pass us?

Offline wolfx

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2008, 01:52:52 am »

[quote user="friedricetheman"]Well, uh, who do you think put up the switch page on BGG? And also, didn't you see my earlier thread on Switch (can be found on BGG general forums), promoting it about 2 weeks before essen? Get your facts right before opening your mouth.[/quote]

Oops late reply.

Why so touchy? Chill. What i meant to say was why no one in Malaysia (or at least us from BGC) knew about Switch until a few days before Essen, since you were publicity manager and you also know us personally. I meant that as prodding, not a criticism hence the emote. [:$]