Hello Guest

Caravaning @ NZ + LOTR Tour

• 32 Replies

Offline ayheng

• JEDI MASTER
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2009, 01:13:03 pm »
For the campervan companies I've looked at, they only have pickup/dropoff services for Auckland (North) and Christchurch (South). Nothing about Wellington or the other town that have the ferry crossing.

Offline ayheng

• JEDI MASTER
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2009, 06:04:00 pm »
Updated here: http://aikyong.com/new-zealand-campervan-trip-proposal/

New Zealand Campervan Trip Proposal

? May 24th, 2009 | ?   | ? Uncategorized | Edit|

New Zealand

Proposed Length:

2 weeks - To take in New Zealands’ both North and South Island.

Proposed Date:

1st proposal: End April 2010

2nd proposal: Mid November 2010 - coincide with Hari Raya Haji

- To be within New Zealands’ ’shoulder’ period for travelling

(before/after summer). From Lonely Planet guide book: October/November,

April/May.

- To coincide with Malaysian Public Holiday to minimise days of leave.

Proposed Budget:

RM5,000

- Flight: Air Brunei (est. RM2,500)

- Campervan + Interislander Ferry: (est. NZ 3,000++ => RM6,600 divide by 6 person = RM1,100) current exchange rate

- Food, Admission to campervan sites, General Admission, Souvenirs, Miscellaneous (est. RM 1,400)

Proposed Itinery:

Auckland - Mata Mata - Waitomo Gloworm Caves - Rotorua/Taupo -

Tongariro National Park - Wellington - Picton - Nelson - West Coast

Highway - Franz Joseph/Fox Glacier - Queenstown - Te Anau/Milford Sound

- ChristChurch

North Island

Auckland: Largest city in NZ, International Airport

Mata Mata: Hobbiton movie set

Waitomo Gloworm Caves: Cave glow worms, black water rafting, abseiling

Rotorua/Taupo:  VolcanicHot Springs/Thermal area, cultural village, skydiving, white water rafting

Tongariro National Park: Best one-day tramping/hiking route in New Zealand, LOTR filming location for Mordor

Wellington: Capital of New Zealand, location of various LOTR filming sites, ferry terminal for Interislander

Interislander: best 3 hr transit/cruise (allegedly)

South Island

Picton: Interislander ferry terminal

Nelson: LOTR jewellery maker, wine region scenery

West Coast Highway: blowholes, cliffs, rock formations scenery

Franz Jospeh/Fox Glacier: Glacier scenery, helihike

Queenstown: Gorge scenery, AJ Hackett bungy jumps, white water rafting, adventure capital of the world

Te Anau/Milford Sound: Fjord scenery, cruises

ChristChurch: South island largest city,  transit back to Auckland/KL.

Additional Info:

http://www.new-zealand-camper-van-adventures.com/new-zealand-road-map.html

http://www.new-zealand-camper-van-adventures.com/new-zealand-campings.html

http://www.britz.co.nz/new-zealand-vacation/Northbound-Scenic-Sights

http://www.newzealand-motorhomes.com/faq.php

« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2009, 04:55:33 am »
[quote user="ayheng"]

Driving license I read that a valid license with your home country is enough. Judging by the time I first drove in Australia, a Malaysian license shouldn't be a problem, our license actually has a little English translation that says it's a Malaysian Driving License. Maybe jack208 can verify this with his friend?

[/quote]

Anyway, if you still want to go for an international licence, it will cost you around RM150 for a one year validity. No driving tests required. Just submit a form, with photocopies of M'sian driving licence & 2 passport photos at any JPJ. Can get it within the same day - half an hour wait if you are lucky.

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2009, 11:40:47 am »

No need for international license. A valid malaysian driving license with at least 6 months left on it is sufficient.

I drove around in Rome, Paris, London, the US, New Zealand, australia etc. without any problems. I even got stopped by a police once for overtaking a bus on a narrow street in Rome and I produce my Malaysian driving license and passport. No problems there as I got off with only a warning for the traffic offense. :)

Word of advice, don't try driving in Rome or even China/hong Kong for that matter. If you think driving in KL is bad, then you haven't meet the crazy italians or the daredevil chinamen on the road. Think F1 racing circuit, minus the safety barriers at the side and a bunch of stupid pedestrians walking all over the place.

Have fun in New Zealand ('cue the LoTR theme song').

Offline jack208

• BGC Webstore
  • BGG ID: jack208
  • Gaming Grp: OTK Cheras
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2009, 07:35:25 pm »

Hi sklc, notice this is your first post! Welcome to Boardgamecafe.net!! Maybe you shud intro yourself a bit.... or have we played boardgames before just that I didn't know your nick? [:P]

Thnks for the info on the intl driving license.

Become a BGC Insider. Be among the first to hear of our new arrivals, special offers and promo events. Sign-up for our newsletter here http://eepurl.com/dbrcz5

Browse over 1,000 in-stock titles, order online and have your order delivered direct to your doorstep (free delivery for orders above RM150 to West Msia)

Offline ayheng

• JEDI MASTER
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2009, 12:45:46 pm »

friedricetheman: thanks for the headsup again. Lonely Planet writes that Auckland drivers are 'daredevil' drivers. I thought New Zealanders drive like Malaysians, or was it Malaysians drive like New Zealanders...

« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2009, 06:04:21 am »
[quote user="jack208"]

Hi sklc, notice this is your first post! Welcome to Boardgamecafe.net!! Maybe you shud intro yourself a bit.... or have we played boardgames before just that I didn't know your nick? [:P]

Thnks for the info on the intl driving license.

[/quote]

Wow you're very observant!

I'm one of those people who can play board games for hours, always willing to try new games... but unfortunately me and my kaki sometimes clash in timing, so can't meet up for regular sessions. We try, we try...

Plus I'm one of those crazy people who tries to make board games (innovate from what is already available in the market)... for personal enjoyment... it's a hobby, just feel happy to have my own deck of cards or bag of tokens - a weird kind of hobbycraft I guess... making do with whatever silly resources I have.

Offline jack208

• BGC Webstore
  • BGG ID: jack208
  • Gaming Grp: OTK Cheras
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2009, 06:56:30 am »
[quote user="sklc"]

I'm one of those people who can play board games for hours, always willing to try new games... but unfortunately me and my kaki sometimes clash in timing, so can't meet up for regular sessions. We try, we try...

[/quote]

Next question is probably "where do you stay?" hehe...

Become a BGC Insider. Be among the first to hear of our new arrivals, special offers and promo events. Sign-up for our newsletter here http://eepurl.com/dbrcz5

Browse over 1,000 in-stock titles, order online and have your order delivered direct to your doorstep (free delivery for orders above RM150 to West Msia)

Offline ayheng

• JEDI MASTER
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2009, 04:13:36 am »

I have an offer from a gamer from Wellington, who was from Kuantan, to meet up during our NZ outing. I was thinking we could meet up on an evening to chit chat/light gaming or have him show us around in Welly before crossing on the Interislander to South Island.

1. Josh (Wellington, NZ) said,

on May 30th, 2009 at 7:13 am

Hi Heng, I’ve been reading your blog for a while and noticed that you are planning for a trip to NZ! I’m living in Welly NZ (originally from Kuantan) and thought that if you were passing through it would be fun to meet up, even for some games? :)

Offline ayheng

• JEDI MASTER
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2009, 04:15:18 am »
[quote user="jack208"][quote user="sklc"]

[/quote]

Next question is probably "where do you stay?" hehe...

[/quote]

yes, yes, we are always on the look out for fresh meat.... eerr... i mean gamers, yes. [:)]

Offline aycee

« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2009, 06:21:03 am »
Dammit after said trip we want reports reports reports and pics pics pics (within report, we haven't really the patience waiting for the slideshow :P)!!!

Offline ayheng

• JEDI MASTER
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2009, 10:55:32 am »
hey this trip has been postponed indefinitely until my mom-in-law gets better.

Offline aycee

« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2009, 10:51:31 am »
Whoops. Hope she'll get better!

« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2010, 03:38:27 pm »
absolutly right, when we are going NZ for a tour, good thing to hire a Campervan or Motorhome with start 2 berth to 6 berth..

Offline ayheng

• JEDI MASTER
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2013, 11:53:12 am »
Alright, been to NZ and back 3 years ago but forgot to put updates. Here's the link to the photos, and my descriptions. I rather like my descriptions so take your time to read through them, they are also my ONLY account of the campervan trip!

https://www.facebook.com/hengaikyong/media_set?set=a.441114316983.234340.590421983&type=3
https://www.facebook.com/hengaikyong/media_set?set=a.441114316983.234340.590421983&type=3