Hello Guest

Caravaning @ NZ + LOTR Tour

• 32 Replies

Offline ayheng

• JEDI MASTER
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2009, 04:22:55 am »

Hey cool, thanks for the tips!

I was thinking about one week sort of trip, which I gather is the minimum rental period for a caravan. And it could be done on the March-April so-called 'shoulder period' between peak vacation periods.

And I gather from my friend that South Island also is the more scenic one. Hours between stops, just you and nature for miles.

Offline jack208

• BGC Webstore
  • BGG ID: jack208
  • Gaming Grp: OTK Cheras
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2009, 10:12:32 am »

Passed a truckload of brochures to ayheng for him to study/digest them. Won't be needing them anyway for the next couple of weeks.

Airfare-wise, I was told by my NZ fren Stef that Brunei Air offers possibly the lowest rate at NZ$899 return, the only downside is you have to fly via Bandar Seri Begawan (and possibly taking up 3-4 hours).

I did a quick check on their website and their fare for Sep is around RM2,299 returns but the trip takes 4.5 hrs longer. For eg you leave KUL around 2.40pm Sat and arrive in AKL 9am Sun (whereas my MAS direct flight left KUL Sat 9pm and arrived AKL Sun 11am).

http://www.bruneiair.com/

My MAS flight costs RM5,000 just in case you are interested [:P] (but this is a last minute booking so price would be the highest fare).

I re-checked MAS website to see how are fares around Sep and they are still around the RM3,700 price point. So Brunei Air still offers the besta rates for now (and I still have my Royal Skies card where the points dun expire hehe) unless we catch another MAS offer somewhere from now till end of this year (like what we did for our Angkor trip).

I suppose the 3-4 hrs gap in between transit from Bdr Seri Begawan won't be a big deal since we are packing boardgames along. [:P]

SIA offers only slightly lower fares compared to MAS (so that's won't offset the extra hours we've to wait). Looks like Brunei Air is the best offer for now.

Become a BGC Insider. Be among the first to hear of our new arrivals, special offers and promo events. Sign-up for our newsletter here http://eepurl.com/dbrcz5

Browse over 1,000 in-stock titles, order online and have your order delivered direct to your doorstep (free delivery for orders above RM150 to West Msia)

Offline ayheng

• JEDI MASTER
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2009, 06:58:46 am »

A quick check on Airasia website confirms the price to be about RM2,600, and that is only to Brisbane/Melbourne. So the Airasia-Jetstar combo recommended by my friend is still more ex than Brunei Air. So we target about RM2,400 for Brunei Air flight for now.

After doing a quick scan through Jeff's material, I concluded that a proper caravan tour of NZ will probably need one week for the North Island (base off Auckland) and then fly to Christchurch and do another week for South Island. I'm not sure if we can ferry the caravan between the two islands as of now. If we decide to do the full monty, 2 weeks is required, else one week and choose either North or South Island.

Campervans/Caravans, there's an award winning company called KEA. Price about NZ200 per day for rental. There's a lot of options. Best if someone can listen around to hear of companies with good recommendations. Else it's pretty close in price.

Travelling dates should be about April, which is end of summer, where all the crowd would have gone home. The other travelling time is Spring in about September I guess, but might be too close for planning this year.

Excursions I see include wineries tour, caving/blackwater rafting, hobbiton visiting, cruise/flight through fjords, hiking, beaches and the various extreme sports like bungie jumping in all major cities. So perhaps we can see what everyone's taste for stops are. Of course anything other than admiring nature comes with a price tag. Usually about NZ150-200 per excursion so it's best if everyone agrees on the overall no and budget. Main event should still be visiting the LOTR sites though.

Offline ayheng

• JEDI MASTER
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2009, 05:42:35 pm »
Britz website quite complete in info. Got a suggested itinery that suits us:

http://www.britz.co.nz/new-zealand-vacation/Northbound-Scenic-Sights

Quotation:

« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 04:16:44 pm by jack208 »

Offline ayheng

• JEDI MASTER
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2009, 06:15:08 pm »

Offline rhyen

« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2009, 08:27:38 am »
pray tell, who is going to get the driving license(s)?

I think they have ferries between south and north island.

Henry

Offline ayheng

• JEDI MASTER
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2009, 09:21:13 am »

Driving license I read that a valid license with your home country is enough. Judging by the time I first drove in Australia, a Malaysian license shouldn't be a problem, our license actually has a little English translation that says it's a Malaysian Driving License. Maybe jack208 can verify this with his friend?

The ferry between North and South Island is called the Interislander. I posted the link in the previous post. The caravan rental companies handle the bookings as well, maybe there's a little surcharge over the original price but it sure eliminates the ambiguity on determining the caravan length to calculate the charges. Only thing is that we have to confirm the actual date and time we are going to cross the islands.

Offline jack208

• BGC Webstore
  • BGG ID: jack208
  • Gaming Grp: OTK Cheras
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2009, 12:48:59 pm »

They (NZers) mentioned Msia driving lic can drive there. Not sure if we need to pass an international supplement test or watever but we can certainly drive. Just have to remember we are driving on NZ roads and not KL.... lest they started shouting obscenities at your reckless driving LOL

As for crossing North & South, we have two options.

(1) is to use the ferry as described by Heng... our campervan goes into the ferry and it crosses the sea with us.

(2) is to return the campervan at North Island, take the ferry across and collect another campervan (same company) at South Island. Most campervan companies have networks on both islands.

Not sure if (2) is cheaper than (1) or otherwise. These are just options though.

Become a BGC Insider. Be among the first to hear of our new arrivals, special offers and promo events. Sign-up for our newsletter here http://eepurl.com/dbrcz5

Browse over 1,000 in-stock titles, order online and have your order delivered direct to your doorstep (free delivery for orders above RM150 to West Msia)

Offline ayheng

• JEDI MASTER
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2009, 01:13:03 pm »
For the campervan companies I've looked at, they only have pickup/dropoff services for Auckland (North) and Christchurch (South). Nothing about Wellington or the other town that have the ferry crossing.

Offline ayheng

• JEDI MASTER
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2009, 06:04:00 pm »
Updated here: http://aikyong.com/new-zealand-campervan-trip-proposal/

New Zealand Campervan Trip Proposal

? May 24th, 2009 | ?   | ? Uncategorized | Edit|

New Zealand

Proposed Length:

2 weeks - To take in New Zealands’ both North and South Island.

Proposed Date:

1st proposal: End April 2010

2nd proposal: Mid November 2010 - coincide with Hari Raya Haji

- To be within New Zealands’ ’shoulder’ period for travelling

(before/after summer). From Lonely Planet guide book: October/November,

April/May.

- To coincide with Malaysian Public Holiday to minimise days of leave.

Proposed Budget:

RM5,000

- Flight: Air Brunei (est. RM2,500)

- Campervan + Interislander Ferry: (est. NZ 3,000++ => RM6,600 divide by 6 person = RM1,100) current exchange rate

- Food, Admission to campervan sites, General Admission, Souvenirs, Miscellaneous (est. RM 1,400)

Proposed Itinery:

Auckland - Mata Mata - Waitomo Gloworm Caves - Rotorua/Taupo -

Tongariro National Park - Wellington - Picton - Nelson - West Coast

Highway - Franz Joseph/Fox Glacier - Queenstown - Te Anau/Milford Sound

- ChristChurch

North Island

Auckland: Largest city in NZ, International Airport

Mata Mata: Hobbiton movie set

Waitomo Gloworm Caves: Cave glow worms, black water rafting, abseiling

Rotorua/Taupo:  VolcanicHot Springs/Thermal area, cultural village, skydiving, white water rafting

Tongariro National Park: Best one-day tramping/hiking route in New Zealand, LOTR filming location for Mordor

Wellington: Capital of New Zealand, location of various LOTR filming sites, ferry terminal for Interislander

Interislander: best 3 hr transit/cruise (allegedly)

South Island

Picton: Interislander ferry terminal

Nelson: LOTR jewellery maker, wine region scenery

West Coast Highway: blowholes, cliffs, rock formations scenery

Franz Jospeh/Fox Glacier: Glacier scenery, helihike

Queenstown: Gorge scenery, AJ Hackett bungy jumps, white water rafting, adventure capital of the world

Te Anau/Milford Sound: Fjord scenery, cruises

ChristChurch: South island largest city,  transit back to Auckland/KL.

Additional Info:

http://www.new-zealand-camper-van-adventures.com/new-zealand-road-map.html

http://www.new-zealand-camper-van-adventures.com/new-zealand-campings.html

http://www.britz.co.nz/new-zealand-vacation/Northbound-Scenic-Sights

http://www.newzealand-motorhomes.com/faq.php