BGC Boardgame Retreat 2010

• 28 Replies

Offline jack208

• BGC Webstore
  • BGG ID: jack208
  • Gaming Grp: OTK Cheras
« on: July 11, 2010, 01:22:10 am »
IT's time for some of us to put our heads together to plan what games will be hitting the tables in next week's retreat. :)

Details of the retreat here
http://blog.boardgamecafe.net/2010/07/01/boardgame-retreat-2010-2/

Let's start discussing here on the gaming format, timing and games to bring to the table. Let's keep this thread to discussing the main event ie 9am-6pm. Those who are staying overnight can also talk about what games will hit the table in the After8 session.

A tentative schedule
8:30 - 9:00 Registration
9:00 - 9:30 Appetizer Game (waiyan will arrange)
9:30 - 10:30 Light 1-hr game
10:30 - 12:30 2-hr game
12:30-1:30 LUNCH
1::30 - 3:00 1.5-hr game
3:00 - 5:30 2.5-hr game
5:30 - 6:00 Closing
----------------
6:00 - 8:00 Dinner
8:00 After8 Gaming

For the afternoon session, I'm thinking of doing a longer 2.5 hr game as the last game... this will give us two meatier games in the afternoon (for 4 hrs) or we could do two 2-hr games. Which option sounds better?
- One 1.5h + one 2.5h (as above)
- Two 2h
- One 1h, two 1.5h

Become a BGC Insider. Be among the first to hear of our new arrivals, special offers and promo events. Sign-up for our newsletter here http://eepurl.com/dbrcz5

Browse over 1,000 in-stock titles, order online and have your order delivered direct to your doorstep (free delivery for orders above RM150 to West Msia)

Offline jack208

• BGC Webstore
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 01:25:37 am »
for the After8 session, it's likely we are having 2 tables so let's decide the games to bring. I'll be bringing the following:
- DUNE

Any other requests for my games? What are the others bringing? Someone bringing Starcraft with Brood War? [:P]
Become a BGC Insider. Be among the first to hear of our new arrivals, special offers and promo events. Sign-up for our newsletter here http://eepurl.com/dbrcz5

Browse over 1,000 in-stock titles, order online and have your order delivered direct to your doorstep (free delivery for orders above RM150 to West Msia)

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 08:03:03 am »
Let me know if there is any request for the following:
- Sceptre of Zavandor [6-er]
- Arkham Horror [8-er max]

Afraid won't be offering TI3. Game is already long enough that if there are newbies, rules explanation will take more than half an hour. Time is preciousssss at the retreat. [;)]

P.S. These are all for After8 gaming.

Offline jack208

• BGC Webstore
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010, 10:32:34 am »
Sceptre can be a main session game, no? How long does Sceptre play for say 4p? If under 2h, can include as part of main game ma. But yes bring it along regardless, haven't done that for a long time.

does Arkham play well for 4er?

Offline ayheng

• JEDI MASTER
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2010, 11:16:52 am »
The 1.5 + 2.5hr option sounds good enough as it opens up the possibility for longer games like Tikal.

After 8 gaming I'm good for anything although I need to cater for my wife as well. I'll bring Wits and Wagers and Bang! for the light intermission.

Offline jack208

• BGC Webstore
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2010, 12:42:09 pm »
Your wife ar, hengy? Easy la... just do BSG with Pegasus Exp!!! [ohyeah]

As for Tikal, we actually did that in the 2006 Retreat under the 2-hrs group. It can be done in 2-hrs provided we use the timer to hurry ppl along. But this time we shud have a lot more lesser-known games to bring to the table. AA has already mentioned Scepter (waiting for him to revert on game length). Will try to put up a tentative schd of games.

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2010, 05:24:21 pm »
BGG says Scepter [got spelling wrong] plays in 90 minutes. Think it takes longer, but been a while. We can try for 4er main game if you like. You'll note however, latest post on game entry forum in BGG is titled "Speedier Variant"...

Arkham for 4er is not bad as well. But I don't think it can be done in 2 hours.

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2010, 06:12:42 pm »
Been playing claustrophobia a lot with my wife lately. Pretty good 2 player game (3p possible for one of the scenarios). Plays in under an hour. Easy to explain rules and fast setup time. Why not bring along Claus as a filler game while waiting for the other tables to finish? :) It's something Hengy can play with his wife also. Rated wife friendly.

Offline jack208

• BGC Webstore
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2010, 06:50:27 pm »
[quote user="aanemesis"]BGG says Scepter [got spelling wrong] plays in 90 minutes. Think it takes longer, but been a while. We can try for 4er main game if you like. You'll note however, latest post on game entry forum in BGG is titled "Speedier Variant"...

Arkham for 4er is not bad as well. But I don't think it can be done in 2 hours.
[/quote]

okie.. pls include Scepter in your packing list. May consider it for one of the 2hr slot. For Arkham, it's not so much for the main session.. more for After8 though Hiew has offered to lend me his Planet Steam which is very the tempting... but someone got to read the rules first and also not sure if we can fit it on any table??

heng, which of allen's games with you?

Offline ayheng

• JEDI MASTER
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2010, 06:29:23 am »
I have allen's Age of Industry, Homesteaders, Power Struggle and Stone Age

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2010, 11:00:00 am »
Starcraft I can.. but I got no broodwar!!

LOL.

DUNE would be cool to try out tho. :D

Offline ayheng

• JEDI MASTER
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2010, 11:43:31 am »
[quote user="friedricetheman"]Been playing claustrophobia a lot with my wife lately. Pretty good 2 player game (3p possible for one of the scenarios). Plays in under an hour. Easy to explain rules and fast setup time. Why not bring along Claus as a filler game while waiting for the other tables to finish? :) It's something Hengy can play with his wife also. Rated wife friendly.[/quote]

eh friedrice dude you coming or not?

Offline ayheng

• JEDI MASTER
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2010, 11:52:04 am »
[quote user="wonglc"]Starcraft I can.. but I got no broodwar!!

LOL.

DUNE would be cool to try out tho. :D
[/quote]

just bringlar, i suspect everyone will bring one game but in the end, there can be only one... game played.

Offline rhyen

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2010, 11:48:38 am »
Then you guys might as well trash out that 1 game right now so that you will save transportation cost for everyone else.

Offline jack208

• BGC Webstore
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2010, 06:01:04 pm »
hello.. one game where got enough for the evening, late nite, plus morning!! so everyone BRING!!!

btw if anyone wants me to bring any specific games, pls shout here ar...

Offline wolfx

« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2010, 07:00:04 pm »
Let it be known that the lords of Kobol were with us during BGC Boardgame Retreat 2010, where the humans finally arrived safely on Terra. :D

Cylons and symphatisers, better luck next time. :D

So say we all. :P

Offline jack208

• BGC Webstore
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2010, 12:43:33 am »
[quote user="wolfx"]

So say we all. :P[/quote]

[plasmagun]

A REMATCH has been called for this coming Friday at OTK... the last word has not been spoken yet!! muahahaha

Pictures of the Retreat posted at our Facebook albums... report coming soon!
http://www.facebook.com/boardgamecafe.net?v=photos

Offline jack208

• BGC Webstore
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2010, 02:30:25 am »
Our very own Helena Cain Ken from Battlestar Pegasus!