Essen 2013

• 23 Replies

Offline jack208

• BGC Webstore
  • BGG ID: jack208
  • Gaming Grp: OTK Cheras
Essen 2013
« on: March 14, 2013, 11:47:04 am »
To discuss Boardgamecafe.net's trip to Essen 2013.

ESSEN SPIEL 2013

Date: Oct 24-27 (Thu-Sun 2013

Venue: Essen, Germany

Gamers

- jack208

- waiyan

- kaz

If you are a gamer and wish to join us for this trip, pls shout here!

jack208 & waiyan will also be doing a 10K race somewhere (this is now likely in Reims) nearby before hopping over to Essen. If you are keen to join in the run, let us know as well. http://community.boardgamecafe.net/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 01:06:29 pm by jack208 »
Become a BGC Insider. Be among the first to hear of our new arrivals, special offers and promo events. Sign-up for our newsletter here http://eepurl.com/dbrcz5

Browse over 1,000 in-stock titles, order online and have your order delivered direct to your doorstep (free delivery for orders above RM150 to West Msia)

Offline jack208

• BGC Webstore
Essen 2013
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 11:49:47 am »
MAS is having a promo now till end March.. cheap tickets to Paris and London for RM2,500 two-way. These are their normal flights with 30 kg baggage allowance (important if you are buying games). You need to book your tix before end March. Then there's also MATTA Fair ongoing now.

Alternative there's always Emirates Air.
Become a BGC Insider. Be among the first to hear of our new arrivals, special offers and promo events. Sign-up for our newsletter here http://eepurl.com/dbrcz5

Browse over 1,000 in-stock titles, order online and have your order delivered direct to your doorstep (free delivery for orders above RM150 to West Msia)

Offline kaz

• @onevictorypoint on Instagram
  • BGG ID: onetonmee
  • Gaming Grp: The League
Essen 2013
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 12:03:19 pm »
I will be staying at Hotel Kessing from the 23/10 to 28/10. Rate is pretty reasonable at EUR310 for the whole duration.

Most prob booking MAS from the 22/10 (arrives 23/10 morning) to 28/10 (leaving noon) from Frankfurt.

Offline jack208

• BGC Webstore
Essen 2013
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 01:08:33 pm »
We'll be in Paris from 18/10 (Fri) and going over to Essen on Wed 23/10. In Essen we are staying at Movenpick this time around (last yr was Intercity - gosh, reminds me my photos and blog report long outstanding!) from 23/10 to 28/10. Movenpick's about EU470 for this 5 nights.

Offline jack208

• BGC Webstore
Essen 2013
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 01:09:59 pm »
[quote name='kaz' timestamp='1363665799' post='21579']

Most prob booking MAS from the 22/10 (arrives 23/10 morning) to 28/10 (leaving noon) from Frankfurt.

[/quote]

Hmm... if your flight leaves noon from Frankfurt, you need to check out early on 28/10 to get the train to Frankfurt. So we'll be your "mules" for Monday shipping I suppose. http://community.boardgamecafe.net/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':P' />

Essen 2013
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2013, 10:48:22 pm »

Make sure to wave to the BGG live feed camera while they're demoing a game. I'll be watching as usual and probably be envious when I see any of you. :P

Good luck with the trip!

- Damien

« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 10:48:41 pm by leoskyangel »

Essen 2013
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2013, 11:01:07 pm »

Essen in 3 weeks time! Holy!

How are you lists of games preparation?

- Damien

Offline jack208

• BGC Webstore
Essen 2013
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2013, 12:08:36 pm »

Games list preparation is the least of our worries... too many good (presumably) new games this year. Worry is how much it'll cost to ship them back. :P

Offline kaz

Essen 2013
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2013, 12:11:25 pm »

Actually games list prep is my biggest worry!

No idea how to stuff all these great games into my budget. :S

Offline jack208

• BGC Webstore
Essen 2013
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2013, 12:34:24 pm »

The "prep" part is not your worry. The money part is...  hahaha

Actually games list prep is my biggest worry!

No idea how to stuff all these great games into my budget. :S

Offline kaz

Essen 2013
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2013, 12:46:38 pm »

Anyone need a kidney? Lol. 

Offline ayheng

• JEDI MASTER
Essen 2013
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2013, 12:51:59 pm »

just go to the used games and discount booths. everything else will probably be brought in ... later... eventually...

Offline kaz

Essen 2013
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2013, 01:09:58 pm »

Or never? (points at Z-man games)

:P

My list priority:

1. Collector's Edition games (Legacy, Gluck Auf, Hanabi CE, etc.)

2. Games that will never get wider distribution (PatchHistory, Wildcatters, etc.)

3. Little know German gems (Sticheln, Neue Heimat, etc.)

3. Games that can be signed by the designers. (Tash-Kalar, Glass Road, etc.)

4. Games that are significantly cheaper just bringing back or lump shipping (e.g. Caverna, Masterprints)

Still working on my list, probably set up a Geek List this weekend if anyone wants to check it out. 

Offline jack208

• BGC Webstore
Essen 2013
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2013, 07:49:15 pm »

Do you know what's this one? Looks like you ran out of kidneys?

1271873_10151958086990030_690551403_o.jp

Offline jack208

• BGC Webstore
Essen 2013
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2013, 07:54:58 pm »

At the rate the game list is piling up, we might as well extend BGC Retreat to 3n2d... LOL

Essen 2013
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2013, 03:24:54 am »

Or never? (points at Z-man games)

:P

My list priority:

1. Collector's Edition games (Legacy, Gluck Auf, Hanabi CE, etc.)

2. Games that will never get wider distribution (PatchHistory, Wildcatters, etc.)

3. Little know German gems (Sticheln, Neue Heimat, etc.)

3. Games that can be signed by the designers. (Tash-Kalar, Glass Road, etc.)

4. Games that are significantly cheaper just bringing back or lump shipping (e.g. Caverna, Masterprints)

Still working on my list, probably set up a Geek List this weekend if anyone wants to check it out. 

That's a really neat way of looking at things.

For the rest of us who are not going, majority of the games will only be available around June in the following year. So, I'm psyched when BGC retreat was announced. Just take a look at Palaces of Carrara (Z-man), AaCBaS Xp and TM. Publishers are still struggling to keep up with the demands. 

The hidden gems are probably the most exciting things to see. 

Do you know what's this one? Looks like you ran out of kidneys?

Panamax and Madeira are both in my want(must) to play/buy list. :)

At the rate the game list is piling up, we might as well extend BGC Retreat to 3n2d... LOL

Haha. I really want to try as many ESSEN games as possible during the retreat. Lack of sleep is to be expected. The least I could do is to re-read, look at the components and probably give myself a quick solo test run when there's no gaming going on (during breaks maybe?). Need to narrow down and build a solid list this time. But of course, I'll follow whatever is planned on that day.

Spiel'13 should be a great year judging by the amount of games designed by well known designers. Question is, what games do you guys think is gonna be hit during and after the fair?

CK, you could extend the ESSEN games during OTK nights :p I've been trying to find a good excuse to finally play there. :)

- Damien

Offline jack208

• BGC Webstore
Essen 2013
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2013, 10:20:42 am »

That's a really neat way of looking at things.

haha... that's just his way of self-justification. That list of (1) - (4) probably encompass like 95% of the Essen New Releases... so in essence he's telling you he's buying EVERYTHING! but make it sounds like he's rationalizing his purchases. Massive damage incoming.... [bow]

For the rest of us who are not going, majority of the games will only be available around June in the following year. So, I'm psyched when BGC retreat was announced. Just take a look at Palaces of Carrara (Z-man), AaCBaS Xp and TM. Publishers are still struggling to keep up with the demands. 

Yeah.. that's true and one of the things we learnt from last year. Some like SUBURBIA is just arriving....

Offline kaz

Essen 2013
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2013, 10:24:00 am »

Already said mah... :P

That map is Madeira. Read the rules. Seem like a solid game.

Haha. I really want to try as many ESSEN games as possible during the retreat. Lack of sleep is to be expected. The least I could do is to re-read, look at the components and probably give myself a quick solo test run when there's no gaming going on (during breaks maybe?). Need to narrow down and build a solid list this time. But of course, I'll follow whatever is planned on that day.

Spiel'13 should be a great year judging by the amount of games designed by well known designers. Question is, what games do you guys think is gonna be hit during and after the fair?

CK, you could extend the ESSEN games during OTK nights  :P I've been trying to find a good excuse to finally play there.  :)

What sleep? Lol. 

Top hit: Russian Railroads (already highly rated by game designers, reviewers)

Top 5: Caverna: The Cave Farmers (just for the Agricola fanbois), Prosperity (this is like a top secret project, still no pictures and rulebook), Glass Road (buzz from Terra Mytica will get people looking), Tash-Kalar (Vlaadaaaaaa)

Strong: Legacy, Concordia, Coal Baron, Bruxelles, Rampage!, Bremerhaven, Madeira, Amerigo

Underdogs: Machi Koro, Trains & Stations, Mascarade, Lewis & Clark, Artifact, Theseus

2013's "Trains" (sold out in 60 seconds): PatchHistory (50 copies, so gonna bum rush this one!)

« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 10:29:37 am by kaz »