Hello Guest

This is an April fools joke right?

• 22 Replies
« on: April 04, 2008, 06:43:58 am »
Soooo funny. I tot internet is free for all. What you want to do with your space is your own business. You can even ban anyone or flame anyone within your domain space is alright I guess, since you're paying rent for that space. You are the king in your domain.
But for a distributor to diss his retailer via mass email is something all together different. And to drag brokenbayonet into the fray is just suggesting that brokenbayonet endorses his opinion?
What gives? Frankly, stupid tussle like this will only divide the general boardgaming community. Both of you please find a middle ground and make peace for the sake of boardgaming community.

NEW GAMER'S FORUM
---------------------------------
A new forum has been established by http://brokenbayonet.freeforums.org,

offering gamers total freedom of speech, regardless of commercial

interests. This means that members are free to post something which

they think may be of interest to other gamers, without being accused of

intending to sell something. So you will find Tom's gaming schedule,

visit to the miniatures factory, tournaments, paintball trips, etc, all

posted here for the benefit of members.

The www.boardgamecafe.net forum

is in our opinion, no longer a pure gamer's forum as it bans anything

it considers having commercial interest THAT THE OWNER IS NOT A PART

OF. Of course, you will notice that any posting where members buy from

the owner is allowed - like the recent posting on new arrivals, and

placing orders through the owner.

So postings

on visit to the miniatures factory was not allowed as it was deemed a

sales gimmick to get people to buy Flames of Wars miniatures, which of

course, the owner would receive nothing. For your information, every

participant got a FREE German Panther tank, and there was nothing to

buy at the factory as they do not sell any products!

As

distributors, we have no objection to how our retailers (like

boardgamecafe) wish to run their site. We just want to alert gamers

that it is now a commercial site, and no longer a true gamer's forum

with freedom of posting for other gamer's benefit.

To

ensure that you get the latest news, activities and offers, please

check other sites. If you like to be part of a true gamer's blog, join:

Offline ayheng

• JEDI MASTER
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 07:32:17 am »

if only the distributor was unhappy, the idea of an alternate forum might not take off. but i believe there are a few disgruntled people here and there.

personally, i've no issues with the rules and regulations here.

actually that came out wrong. personally, from my understanding of the intents, purposes, goals of both parties, i respect their opinions and final stands. i still have no issues continuing frequenting this forum.

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008, 07:59:50 am »
I really don't care about their issues. There is no right or wrong, but to air their feud in public (mass emailing now) just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Worse, its a case of distributor/supplier unhappiness over certain issues that got aired over public channels (We are all happy lambs, gloating over our new boardgames, not really interested in the reality of business world that we live in).

Delete this thread if you want, Jeff. I shall speak no further on this issue.

Offline dave

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2008, 08:05:35 am »
[quote user="LoStBoYz"]

Soooo funny. I tot internet is free for all. What you want to do with your space is your own business. You can even ban anyone or flame anyone within your domain space is alright I guess, since you're paying rent for that space. You are the king in your domain.
But for a distributor to diss his retailer via mass email is something all together different. And to drag brokenbayonet into the fray is just suggesting that brokenbayonet endorses his opinion?
What gives? Frankly, stupid tussle like this will only divide the general boardgaming community. Both of you please find a middle ground and make peace for the sake of boardgaming community.

[/quote]

Yeah, it's annoying to get dragged into something like this.... I started the other forum more as a club forum to discuss both miniatures and other things we like.

I agree that this silly feud will only hurt the gaming community. Wish it would end quick...

Offline dave

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2008, 08:08:18 am »
[quote user="ayheng"]

if only the distributor was unhappy, the idea of an alternate forum might not take off. but i believe there are a few disgruntled people here and there.

personally, i've no issues with the rules and regulations here.

actually that came out wrong. personally, from my understanding of the intents, purposes, goals of both parties, i respect their opinions and final stands. i still have no issues continuing frequenting this forum.

[/quote]

Actually, I put up the other forum more to discuss miniatures and other games which rightly should not have a place on this forum which concentrates on boardgaming.

I also post on Wolf's forum which has quite a good crowd.

We should all just remember that we're gaming as a casual pastime and cool it when tempers flare.

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2008, 08:28:37 am »

Don't la like dat. I know some of us here are the "hardcore" gamers who don't buy Blokus / Catan [coz we oredi have] and the other 26 million [softcore?] are more likely to help with the bank balance. But we're still a community, right?

And for the commercial aspect: 
The pie is big enough for everyone. Think Win-Win. And the pie size is not static. Just like in Container, it continues to grow.

Offline ayheng

• JEDI MASTER
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2008, 08:28:56 am »

hehe. good to hear everybody's stand on this.

i feel warm and fuzzy all of a sudden

Offline jack208

• BGC Webstore
  • BGG ID: jack208
  • Gaming Grp: OTK Cheras
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2008, 11:58:16 pm »

I agree with Dave that perhaps miniature gaming is not something that has a crowd here. So perhaps Broken Bayonets serve its own purpose, be that convergent or divergent with ours.

What's more damaging to the local market in general is that it is monopolized by a single person and that's given rise to some of the problems. I was actually given the heads-up a couple years back on such possibilities but simply thot it wouldn't happen and that all parties would be sensible enough to talk things thru.

Alas, the Chinese New Year across-the-board spam and the now-mass-email dissing by a distributor (yeah Lostboyz, it's amazing what life can somethings springs up) tells us a lot more than what's left unsaid.

As to the accusation that I'm banning some ppl simply becoz I'm not making money from those activities - so if I close down the webstore and stop selling games but continue to organize meetups, would that change anything? Of course not.. coz that's not the real issue.

btw I've only banned one person since this forum is created.

Those who knew me personally would know that I dun need the money from the game sales. If I was doing this for profit-reason, I would have shut down the business long ago. It was simply not worth the time money-wise.

I've not stop anyone who's honestly organizing gamers' activities from posting here. Even Toybox have posted pictures of their new shop here, and Nic did ask me to delete it if it's inappropriate. I believe the post with the picture is stll in this forum.

I've never spammed nor even promote actively BGC in Toybox's forum coz I respect their forum, and I respect Nic for doing the same here.

I've opened up the forum here for ppl organizing meetups like shrapnel's Ladies Nite, friedrice's OTK PJ and now Kaz's Puchong meetups. All I ask is that they provide back contents to the site via write-up of the sessreps, photos etc.

For me to write about all the issues here is simply to be of worse taste than that email in thread-starter's msg. And I simply refuse to be drag into that type of mud. It's a steep slope and once you go there, it's all the way down.

I've seen how he dissed Games Circle and Wolf Gameshop when they were no longer of use. The things he wrote about them was just so sad to read..... At times then, I wonder if the same shall befall me. Now I wonder no more.

Become a BGC Insider. Be among the first to hear of our new arrivals, special offers and promo events. Sign-up for our newsletter here http://eepurl.com/dbrcz5

Browse over 1,000 in-stock titles, order online and have your order delivered direct to your doorstep (free delivery for orders above RM150 to West Msia)

Offline c mun

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2008, 09:55:07 am »
[quote user="jack208"]

I agree with Dave that perhaps miniature gaming is not something that has a crowd here. So perhaps Broken Bayonets serve its own purpose, be that convergent or divergent with ours.

What's more damaging to the local market in general is that it is monopolized by a single person and that's given rise to some of the problems. I was actually given the heads-up a couple years back on such possibilities but simply thot it wouldn't happen and that all parties would be sensible enough to talk things thru.

Alas, the Chinese New Year across-the-board spam and the now-mass-email dissing by a distributor (yeah Lostboyz, it's amazing what life can somethings springs up) tells us a lot more than what's left unsaid.

As to the accusation that I'm banning some ppl simply becoz I'm not making money from those activities - so if I close down the webstore and stop selling games but continue to organize meetups, would that change anything? Of course not.. coz that's not the real issue.

btw I've only banned one person since this forum is created.

Those who knew me personally would know that I dun need the money from the game sales. If I was doing this for profit-reason, I would have shut down the business long ago. It was simply not worth the time money-wise.

I've not stop anyone who's honestly organizing gamers' activities from posting here. Even Toybox have posted pictures of their new shop here, and Nic did ask me to delete it if it's inappropriate. I believe the post with the picture is stll in this forum.

I've never spammed nor even promote actively BGC in Toybox's forum coz I respect their forum, and I respect Nic for doing the same here.

I've opened up the forum here for ppl organizing meetups like shrapnel's Ladies Nite, friedrice's OTK PJ and now Kaz's Puchong meetups. All I ask is that they provide back contents to the site via write-up of the sessreps, photos etc.

For me to write about all the issues here is simply to be of worse taste than that email in thread-starter's msg. And I simply refuse to be drag into that type of mud. It's a steep slope and once you go there, it's all the way down.

I've seen how he dissed Games Circle and Wolf Gameshop when they were no longer of use. The things he wrote about them was just so sad to read..... At times then, I wonder if the same shall befall me. Now I wonder no more.

[/quote]

As John Bunyan wrote Dont fall into the Slough of Despond .Viciousness cannot vindicate his vengeful actions and I'm sure most of us are very clear minded on the whole picture.I perfectly take pleasure in this website and benefitted enoumously in learning to game.I agree that the owner of the web has the right what he deems fit to be on his forum so if 'he' is annoyed because a certain event was not allowed on the forum and thinks bgc is not worth 'his' time and he has found greener pastures to post and discussed in - GOOD FOR HIM !  I believe we are not holding him back ,are we? I'll will be delighted to post in your website,Dav or Nic's and Wolve's but NOT boycotting anyone's because I'm not childlish and hopefully the rest of us regulars are not as well.

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2008, 02:46:07 pm »
[quote user="jack208"]

At times then, I wonder if the same shall befall me. Now I wonder no more.

[/quote]

Good thing you dont work for 'Days of Wonder'. Coz if you did, it may close shop since you wonder no more.

hahaha.

Ok ok sorry sorry [sweating]... stupid joke. heehe hehehehe heheheh

Offline jack208

• BGC Webstore
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2008, 07:38:24 pm »
[quote user="shrapnel"]

Ok ok sorry sorry [sweating]... stupid joke. heehe hehehehe heheheh

[/quote]

Nah.. dun worry. I know you meant well and the joke is actually pretty creative. [:D]

Become a BGC Insider. Be among the first to hear of our new arrivals, special offers and promo events. Sign-up for our newsletter here http://eepurl.com/dbrcz5

Browse over 1,000 in-stock titles, order online and have your order delivered direct to your doorstep (free delivery for orders above RM150 to West Msia)

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2008, 09:34:26 pm »
Well. When you are the only boardgame distributor in malaysia (read: monopoly), this is what that will happen. The 'distributor' can and will most likely treat his retailers like disposable garbage. Sometimes, even his customers are being treated badly by him too. Is this the sort of treatment you want? Will you, as a customer, still buy games from such an ungrateful person after he treated you no better than a pariah, being yelled at & humiliated in public, & in front of other gamers? Has he forgotten that its we gamers who made him, in his own words, filthy rich & laughing all the way to the bank (refer to bgg forum)? Think about it for a second. Have you ever heard of anyone who belittles & shouts at his customers besides dear Edwin?

Offline c mun

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2008, 10:05:51 pm »

[quote user="friedricetheman"]Well. When you are the only boardgame distributor in malaysia (read: monopoly), this is what that will happen. The 'distributor' can and will most likely treat his retailers like disposable garbage. Sometimes, even his customers are being treated badly by him too. Is this the sort of treatment you want? Will you, as a customer, still buy games from such an ungrateful person after he treated you no better than a pariah, being yelled at & humiliated in public, & in front of other gamers? Has he forgotten that its we gamers who made him, in his own words, filthy rich & laughing all the way to the bank (refer to bgg forum)? Think about it for a second. Have you ever heard of anyone who belittles & shouts at his customers besides dear Edwin?[/quote]

John Bunyan wrote "Dont fall into the Slough of Despond". Please dont allow such malignant visiousness gets to all of us. Being absolutely clear minded ,  nothing will deter me to continue contributing in this forum or if it pleases me, Dave's or Toybox's or Wolve's as long as they do not incite malicious elements of childlish prejudices.

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2008, 04:21:39 am »

[quote user="friedricetheman"] ... such an ungrateful person ...[/quote]

Very soon cocky people like this will have to play solitaire....

.... in the Arkham Asylum of Gotham....

The Joker : Hey! That's not the way to play solitai....

The Distributor : You %$# ugly !@#*& knows nothing more than %$^# so you better $%$#@ buy some &^% games from me now!!! you &^%$%^& !!

The Joker : OKaay okaayy!! One Flames of War Tiger Tank ... please... err.. make that two... okay three Tiger Tanks? Please?

The Distributor : And?

The Joker : And five Sherman Tanks!

The Distributor : Bad dog, you!

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2008, 09:01:34 am »
I think we should form a cartel and get together to purchase games exclusively online. What do you guys think? Suggestions? We can combine our purchases and order online through one person (preferably one with paypal account, eg. jack208 or aanemesis). Suggestions?

Offline ayheng

• JEDI MASTER
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2008, 03:42:10 pm »
[quote user="friedricetheman"]I think we should form a cartel and get together to purchase games exclusively online. What do you guys think? Suggestions? We can combine our purchases and order online through one person (preferably one with paypal account, eg. jack208 or aanemesis). Suggestions?[/quote]

dude.

NO MORE MUD SLINGING!

Offline jack208

• BGC Webstore
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2008, 06:36:20 pm »

[quote user="friedricetheman"]I think we should form a cartel and get together to purchase games exclusively online. What do you guys think? Suggestions? We can combine our purchases and order online through one person (preferably one with paypal account, eg. jack208 or aanemesis). Suggestions?[/quote]

hey, this idea is not without merit! With the US dollar at 20% less than 3.80 and there's no visible reduction in the current local game pricing (so that means they are still pegged at 3.80), there's viability in this.

The 20% saving in USD alone can cover the custom taxes if any. And combined purchases bring down the shipping cost.

Offline jack208

• BGC Webstore
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2008, 08:14:39 pm »

hi all, I've just realized that some of your posts (two from c_mun and one from Dave on Tom Vasel's visit) were stuck in the Moderation queue (mybad that I did not check there). I hope this did not incorrectly gave the posters the opinion that their posts were censored. [:P]

I've now released both c_mun's posts (see page 1 of this thread) and Dave's (see Damansara Meetup where he talked about Tom's visit to Mage Cafe).

I only censor marketing-spam and not thots/opinions/contents. [:#]